p4 3.2E with water cooling; temp = 62c

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: p4 3.2E with water cooling; temp = 62c

oops.. I mean to say a "GOOD" PSU such as a 520 W Antec. There's no way in hell I'd settle for the same wattage. :P MORE POWER!

Comment

That wattage should be enough, though a 480W wouldn't be a bad idea and is about $55 or so, but it's your money, so waste it on a 520W Antec if you feel like it.

Comment

520W is never a waste, buddy..it's like saying you don't need a monitor for your computer to "work."

I have too much drain even for a 420 and I'm going to be adding more to this media powerhouse, so 520 is perfect..for now. The company I bought the bundle (mobo, case, CPU, PSU, ram) didn't expect that much to be put in.

-6 case fans..2 which have quad blue LEDs
        -DVD drive
        -CD-R/RW drive
        -floppy drive
        -2 IDE harddrives converted to SATA (which 2 other power sources for the converter dongles)
        -CPU fan
        -NB fan
        -Sound Blaster card
        -AGP
        -8 USB components hooked up to MB

Anyways...On to my report. I was given my "christmas present" early by my uncle and I put that towards a 520W Vantec (nope.. not an "Antec" but just as good).

My results aren't exactly what I expected in terms of cooling the processor, although the $140 (including tax) was well spent. I noticed a considerable difference in booting up.

For example; the 420W which I had before "powered up" slowly and to the point where it seems it won't boot. It's kinda like turning on a car and having it "sputter" and then catching after 10 seconds.

So now the system powers on without hesitation, however there was no difference whatsoever in my CPU temperature. That eliminates the possibility of the PSU having any effect on the temperature of the CPU in this case..oh well. I'm a little disappointed but not defeated.

The next step is to replace the stock HS with a much more suitable one. Of course, a complete copper HS will do. Either that or I'll go with a water-cooled system such as the Thermaltake Aquarias-II.

The Aquarias-II isn't the best of water cooling systems but I can definitely vouch for it now. My friend and I spent 2 1/2 hours cleaning his system and correcting the way his Aquarias system was installed.

The end result of a cleaner wiring system made me fall in love with zip ties :-p
        That and a 4 new case fans and a new radiator fan (for the Aquarias) made the system drop 20 degrees in Celsius and 50 degrees in Farenheight!!!!! WOW! At an idling temp. of 37 C, and a load temp. of 43 C that is AWESOME! I need one of these :-p

Comment

Originally posted by bc-17
          520W is never a waste, buddy..it's like saying you don't need a monitor for your computer to "work."
          No, it's more like saying you don't need a 19" LCD for your computer to "work."

For example; the 420W which I had before "powered up" slowly and to the point where it seems it won't boot. It's kinda like turning on a car and having it "sputter" and then catching after 10 seconds.
          That's what you get for using a generic PSU. The wattage doesn't really matter if it's a POS. A 480W would have easily been enough, even with all the stuff you were powering.

Comment

for the record:

The company I bought the bundle (mobo, case, CPU, PSU, ram) didn't expect that much to be put in.
            It's not my fault so just stop, good god.

You're being asinine. Sigh..I don't want to argue so stop trying to pick a fight.
            Oh and just to make sure this is it, plz don't respond. It's really not worth your or my time now that this thread is pretty much dead, ty.
            Last edited by bc-17; 12-13-2004, 01:38 AM.

Comment

Last edited by Loki-uk; 12-19-2004, 01:51 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X