p4 3.2E with water cooling; temp = 62c

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• p4 3.2E with water cooling; temp = 62c

In my last thread i said that with a zalman 7000b alcu i was getting temps of 75c. Today i took the comp to the shop and they tried it with water cooling sys they had in stock. under load it reached 62c

this was with the board in open air - out of the tower.

has anybody else had problems like this?? with a abit ic7-g mobo, 1gb ram, radeon 9800xt graphics card.

i just thought this might interest some people......

Re: p4 3.2E with water cooling; temp = 62c

How are you measuring temperatures? While Abit doesn't have a trend of having bad probes, it is always possible. Try using an actual thermal probe and see what results you come up with using that method. I'm betting the results will be a good deal lower. If not, then you may have either an improperly mounted cooler or a defective processor where the heat shield wasn't mounted properly at the factory.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Comment

I have tried 3 motherboards. the original (ic7-g) another ic7-g and an ic7-max3. same result. with different procesors as well (2.8,3.4)

I now have a 3.4 northwood - with 512 l2 cache - which is idling at 45c adn 28 sys temp. at load it goes up to 64c. this is with the zalman 7000b AlCu. the watercooler is not mine so icant say what temp it gets up to with that. is this too hot?

Comment

Your not doing something right when applying the the Thermal Paste and/or heatsink, otherwise you should be getting much better temps than that. My 2.4c Northwood with an Intel stock cooler off a 1.8A on an IC7-G runs at 55C load at 3Ghz with 1.575v

Comment

last person to put my heatsink on was the guy at the shop. I'm gonna put it on myself once I get some artic silver....

the guys at the shop wont touch it no more coz intel says it is able to heat up to 68c, so as far as they are concerned it is running cool....

does the thermal paste with silver in it make much of a difference when compared to thermal paste with Copper in it? i think that artic 3 with the Cu in it

Comment

As far as I am aware of, there aren't any common thermal interface materials using copper as the main ingredient. All Arctic Silver compounds from the beginning have used some form of silver. Besides, silver is a better conductor of heat, but it is expensive to work with hence the lack of silver heatsinks. And yes, it will usually make a difference if you're migrating from some sort of generic goop.

Oh, do me a favor and tell those folks at your computer shop to get out of the business; they'll be doing everyone they deal with a huge favor. Nobody said you were in any danger of damaging the system with temperatures that high, but they are too high nonetheless. If those morons were real system builders instead of parts changers they would understand this. Feel free to point them this direction if they'd like me to tell them this same thing in a more personal manner. Damn amateurs.
            My Toys

Comment

I think they do realise its too hot they just can't work out why! that and the fact they have already spent 5 working days testing and playing with it without getting paid!!

Nah, they wern't too bad they swapped the standard power supply (60$) to a silent power supply with intake and out-take fans worth 180$ for free, and they didn't complain once about doing the work for free. They just dont know why it is over-heating and are too proud to admit it!

Thanks for your help - i'll tell you if i mange to fix it -and how i did it

Comment

I would still recommedn getting a small thermal probe and testing temperatures that way. It is possible the probes on the mainboard are playing games and giving high readings. Never hurts to be safe about it and besides, actual thermal probes are a lot more accurate than onboard probes anyway.
                My Toys

Comment

what is the core voltage for a 3.4C with an abit ic7-g mobo? i haven't touched it and its at 1.54V (with motherboard monitor 5). I noticed that intel rates it between 1.25 and 1.4v.

Comment

I'll leave that one for one of the Intel guys. I'm strictly AMD on this end and don't keep up with such info on the Intel lineup. Or you could check out the white papers for that processor at www.intel.com
                    My Toys

Comment

3.4C's vary from 1.475v to 1.55v so you are within that range (if you plan to overclock stay below 1.7v).
                      Originally posted by danDJ
                      I noticed that intel rates it between 1.25 and 1.4v.
                      That's for 3.4E's.

Comment

Northwood specs on intel site.... note the core voltage

Comment

i'll try to lower the cpu temp before i even think of doing any overclocking... (48 idle, 64 load)

Comment

dan, I have a P4 3.2 Ghz and I have the exact same overheating issues.

Basic System Specs:
                            --P4 3.2 Ghz, 800 Mhz FSB (1024 KB L2 cache)
                            --1 GB DDR Ram (with Vantec copper heatsink covers)
                            --GeForce3 TI-500 (64 MB) (with a Vantec IceBerq4 cooling kit)
                            --2-IBM 40GB IDE Desktars (7200 RPM) (with SATA dongle converters)
                            --Sound Blaster Audigy LS (5.1 Surround sound-able card)
                            --Abit IC7-G Motherboard
                            --Generic 420 W PSU
                            --Stock HS + Stock Fan
                            --3-Intake 80mm case fans, 3-outtake 80mm (not including PSU fans)
                            --Good to great wiring for maximum case airflow

I know for a fact even with the stock fan and heat sink, my system should NOT be idling at 55 C. I scraped the nasty "thermal tape" which the system came with and replaced it with Arctic Silver3. Now I know it's not "the best damn thing" on the market but it should do just fine for an improvement. I have everything required for a good, clean and cool system. HOWEVER, evidence is revealing the opposite.

Everything is connected securely, properly and undeniably perfect (I'm so conceded :P).

I have concluded that the issue is in direct relation with either: a deffective motherboard, or too low of a PSU and I'm leaning towards the latter. Since I have a lot of fans and whatnot, I know that there's not an ample amount of power to the whole setup that I have.

I am going to, however, have to wait until after all my christmas shopping is done because I might not have enough money for a GOOD PSU such as an Antec or another well-known brand. :-p

To support my theory, I am going to wait until I get a new PSU before I switch out my stock heat sink. After I'm done with both, I hope to knock my CPU temperature down into the low 40's and maybe mid 30 C.

I will try and remember to post my results whether they support my theory or make me look like a dumbass.

Comment

420w thermaltake is 35 dollars, i spend more at the movies
                              Case: Thermaltake Xaser III // Power Supply: Thermaltake Butterfly 480w // Motherboard: Chaintech 9CJS Zenith // Processor: Intel Pentium 4 2.4 C // Heatsink: Vantec Aeroflow // Video Card: Asus 9600 XT // Harddrive: Western Digital Raptor 36.7 GB // DVD Burner: Pioneer DVR-A06 // Soundcard: Audigy 2 // Speakers: Logitech Z-680's

Comment

Working...
                              X