X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HDD Cooling

Hello all,
    Was wondering you could help me out.
    Just put in a WD 120G HDD w/ 8M cache into my Shuttle SS51G.

Anyways, HDD Health keeps telling me that the HDD temperature gets up there (warnings and all) and I was wondering if anyone might be able to recommend a HDD cooling system.

The constraints are that it has to still fit into a 3.5" bay since I don't have any spare 5.25" bays in this box and that it hopefully be fairly quite...since that's what I had hoped for out of my SFF box.

Thanks!

I doubt that there would be any room at all to fit a HDD cooler of any sort into that sardine can. Your best bet would be to replace the HDD with one that runs a lot cooler.

Comment

you wont be able top fit a hdd coller but you could just try pointing a case fan at your hdd.

Comment

Yep... when you add a fan for cooling the hard drive, it bumps the footprint up to optical drive bay size. You might be able to mod the case to place a fan in front of the hard drive in question. Even something as small as a slim-line 60mm fan will at least move some air over the drive. You could also look into an external drive solution if you're so inclined. There are several out now that utilize a normal 3.5: hard drive and you can connect via USB or Firewire depending on your system. Also, most modern motherboards accept a USB device as a bootable medium.

Just some ideas to play with.
        Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
        My Toys

Comment

Re: HDD Cooling

Just buy one of the Vantec HDD 3.5" cooler's that you fit to the bottom of your HDD. They work great. They are like 18-20$ cdn.

Go here:

The ultra thin one would be your best choice.

Comment

One problem, he's not Canadian.

Comment

Then he can buy one at coolerguys.

Shop for Hard Drive & Video Card Cooling System from Coolerguys online store at the best price. We offer free continental USA shipping with orders over $75 and $5 shipping over $25.

Comment

That looks better for him.

Comment

If he doesn't have a floppy or card reader in the external 3.5" bay then he could have the HDD in that bay with a cooler but if he does then there will be no room for one.

Comment

Working...
                  X