Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do the P4E chips run hotter then the P4C ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do the P4E chips run hotter then the P4C ??

I recently upgraded from a P4 2.8 C to a P4 2.8E.

I have Asus Probe and Mother Board Monitor 5 and they both report the same temps.
    Before with the old processor my idle temp was usually about 18c it went up to 28ish while under heavy load.

I just put in the new E processor and found the idle temp to be about 40c and it goes up to about 50c while under heavy load.

Is that normal for this chip?

I am using a Thermaltake Volcano Adjustable Fan and have it running at about 6250 Rpm.

Here is a pic of my case http://www.techologic.com/images/computer-case.jpg

the prescott core runs much hotter than the northwood core so your temps will be normal.
    also the prescott is slower than the northwood when at the same clock speed so you have done more of a downgrade than an upgrade.

Comment

Thats funny. I have been reading articles about the new Prescott and I was laughing at Intel cause they all said that while it was not "bad", they saw no real improvement. Then I was in the store and I got a chance to get this processor for free so I jumped on it totaly forgetting that it was the same processor I was laughing at a few days before.... Im not that bright.

Oh well. I'll stick with it for now till something better comes along.

Thanks for your speedy responce, even if you did descretly call me a tool :wink:

Comment

the advantage of the prescott is that you can normally overclock them a long way. why not stick a good cooler on then see how far it overclocks?

Comment

What is the maximum temp that I want to see this thing go to. With the old chip I would freak out if I saw the temps Im getting now LOL so what is the max temp this chip should get before it turns into fireworks ??

Comment

I would look at a max of around 65c. I am doing tests on the TweakTown Prescott at the moment, i am pushing 3.8Ghz out at 55C under load at 1.55v. This isn't a bad situation.

Just remember Prescott will run quite hotter due to its new SSE3 additions as well as the new cache and core re-design

Comment

I have a P4 3.0C, with stock Heatsink (w/ Arctic Silver 5) in an Antec Case (cant remember the model number) and an Abit IC7 MB. My office temps are around 75 degrees farenheit, and I keep the case side open. I live in Texas so cooling the house is too expensive to get down to the chilly temps some people talk about. My CPU runs between 39.5 and 42.5 degrees celsius at idle and up to 50 degrees celsius at load. I noticed that you said that temps up to 65 degrees were not worth worrying about. How stable are the P4s at those temps. It's probably pretty obvious I'm a relative newbie to these concerns, so please keep it simple.

Comment

Working...
              X