Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cooling for overclocking...help the ignorant!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cooling for overclocking...help the ignorant!!!

I'm about to get a new computer with a ASUS P4S800D-E Deluxe and a Pentium 2.4c I'm going to overclock that set to about 3.2 ghz and I was wondering whether I should stick with the base fan or get an aftermarket fan (Cooler Master Aero 4?). My case already has two fans in it, but I don't know how good they are. I'd like something that will get the job done but still relativly quiet. And what about thermal paste? Any suggestions?

If you are able to OC your CPU that much, you might have to go to water cooling, or at least I would think so. I would also imagine that your stock HSF wouldn't be up to the task, aftermarket units do a much better job. There are lots of really good HSFs out there, but the ones that seem to do the best also are the loudest.

As for thermal paste, I always recommend Artic Silver, super good stuff

Comment

in a well ventilated case the stock p4 cooler should be good for about 3.2 ghz with some quality thermal paste (artic silver) although it may be advisable to get an aftermarket cooler if you want to go higher. water cooling shouldnt be needed before about 3.4 ghz (ish)

Comment

Get a large tank of Freon gas which they use in refrigeration and adjust the fan to suck in the Freon! Set up an exaust system so the gas is blown back out through a pipe out the window or something. Thats what I call super cooling, probally a little expensive but I think it be worth the extra money.

:wink:

Comment

Nice!! prescott? I diden't know that could overclock that high :wow:

Coolermaster makes some Nice water cooling and Phase changing kits. you might want to check that option out...Here<

Comment

its a northwood on an 800mhz bus (thats what the 'C' is)
            with good cooling most do 3.5 ghz
            the prescott can go even higher, 4 ghz easily

Comment

Do you have any recommendations as to which HSF would be good?
              Once again, I am clueless when it comes to cooling; my last computer caim with an aftermarket HSF (it's good, but loud).

I would like to avoid water cooling if at all possible, this is only my second computer to build so i don't know if i want to try my luck with it.

Comment

Oh yeah, I also hear about a lot of people turning one of the fans around to suck air into the computer...how big of a help is this and is there any trick to doing it outside the obvious.

Once again, my powersource and case will both have two fans.

Comment

not sure on compatability with your motherboard but the SP 94 is by far the best aftermarket air based heastsink atm . I just bought one recently and installed it on my 2.8c. Brought my temps down a good 10 degrees on load when overclocked. Thats with the 110 cfm fan turned as low as it will go , doesnt seem to make much diff cept in noise. The drawback of this HSF unit is you will have to take the mobo out of the case and take off the intel retention clip. For the most part it is easy to install although the instructions are not that great. If taking the mobo out isnt a option take a look at swiftechs best p4 hsf its decent , not as good as the sp94 , but it installs into the intel retention clip. One last note that I have experianced using the sp94 with my chaintech 9cjs mobo is that the hot air coming off of the heatsink will raise your northbridge temps with the fan turned up. Mine go from 30c to 35c with fan on high. The temp in processor is 1-2 at most lower with fan on high. Once you mount the as5 and the sp94 it can , and did on me suck your processor right out of your board. The as5 is some thick stuff. Luckily didnt hurt the board or processor when i remounted it :D

Comment

Working...
                  X