Problem with overheating p4 3.0/800fsb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem with overheating p4 3.0/800fsb

I recently started having overheating issues with my computer. Its a pentium 4 3.0ghz 800FSB chip with stock HSF, lately it idles at 43c but at max usage it can go as high as 67c.

are these temps normal for this computer? I have to 80mm fans sucking air in the front but these damn cases there is really nowhere to get the air from, and two fans on the back for exhausting.

I use the computer for a lot of video editing so it can heat up quick. Any recommendations on what to do?

Mainboard is a Gigabyte 8KNXP, i've been to there site but they have nothing on overheating issues. All my temps come from motherboard monitor.

Well its not to bad yet but then Gigabyte mobo's do report slightly higher temps than most but yes case airflow could be an inhibatin' factor (does it run cooler with the side off?) along with warmer room air temps (I'm assumin' that ya live in the northern hemisphere seein' as ya don't give a location or room temp) plus any dust buildup that is in need of removin' (when was the last time that ya checked?).

Comment

Only a few degrees cooler and its clean, i just moved it to another case.

Room temperature can get warm, around 75-80f in here.

Comment

You might want to invest in some quality thermal grease, like arctic silver 5. Usually the stuff that comes with the CPU isnt that great. : peace2: Mista K6

Comment

Get a Zalman 7000A AlCu HSF. I own a GA-8IPE1000 Pro, and a Pentium 4 3.0C ghz, and it never passes 60 degrees celcius when doing anything. It cools really well because it uses a 92mm fan.

Comment

why the al/cu!? get the all copper one...much better :bounce:

Comment

Anything over 50C is getting hot, especially at stock speeds.

I think the problem is case airflow, do you have a pic of your case? The stock Intel heatsink/fan is usually pretty good, and with some artic silver 5 it should be great. You might need to get more air flowing through your case. : peace2: Mista K6

Comment

I went out today and got a different heatsink CPU

Vantec Airflow, guy at the shop said it would work with 3ghz processors.

so far its idle at 44c, havent' stressed it.

as for a pic of the case, no digital camera. But i have 2 80mm fans in the front sucking air in over the harddrives, and 2 80mm fans exhausting out the back of the case.

Comment

Ok, thats alot better, did you pick up some good TIM, like Arctic Silver 5? That will drop your temps another 1-5C or so. : peace2: Mista K6

Comment

Wow that is a bit high. I run a 3.2 with the Zalman mentioned (full copper though) and AS5. 24c Idle / 34c Load, definately sounds like a case issue there. Do you have lots of wires in there laying about? What PSU do you use?

Comment

holy crap Oner those are some crazy low temps

Comment

Originally posted by Mista K6
                        Ok, thats alot better, did you pick up some good TIM, like Arctic Silver 5? That will drop your temps another 1-5C or so. : peace2: Mista K6
                        5 C is a bit much..its more like 1-3. I think its a definite case issue. What case do you have?
                        CPU: Opteron 165 @ 311x9 - 2817.8 mhz - 1.47v
                        Mobo: Abit KN8-SLI
                        RAM: 2x512 Crucial Ballistic Tracers500 @ 202 mhz 2-2-2-5 T1
                        GFX: Asus EAX1950pro @ 648/1408
                        PSU: Thermaltake 500w
                        SC: Audigy 2 zs
                        LCD: 22' Samsung 225bw
                        Speakers: Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 Ultra
                        Mouse: Logitech G5

Comment

Working...
                        X