Cooling with Vodka?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cooling with Vodka?

I know the title says it all.. A friend was BS'n with me about water cooling and i had a thought that is just weird. Instead of water could you use vodka? Vodka can be very cold and dissipates heat. It also has a bit more density to it so may radiate more heat when it runs through the radiator. I have not experimented with water cooling yet myslef- just wondering if this drunk idea (we were drunk at the time) would work? If it wont call me stupid and leave it at that.:cheers:

Yes vodka can get subzero chilled without freezing but so can plain radiator fluid used in the cars which is a mix from water & glycol.
    However the glycol isn't just added to prevent freezing, it's also to prevent rust and to make the engines waterpump last longer with a kind of "lubing" effect.

Now subzero liquid in the computer, vodka or glycol would still cause condensation which can harm your hardware, precautions must be taken.
    But if you go with vodka it would also most likely kill you pump faster than if you use water/glycol due to dryed out bearings etc.

Note as a otto engine guy I'm used to metal and the way it reacts, so others may correct me if i'm wrong but when I think of these plastic pumps
    (which often ain't no more than regular garden pumps) ppl use in their pc's it just seem like a bad idea to use vodka. Specially since it wouldn't give you any real benefit.

Pc's doesn't really have any big heatsource like engines does, 100-150W at most and you won't see any benefit from start using other chemicals than water. Really It's more about the blocks and how well they are constructed.

Drink the vodka instead why don't ya. :)

Comment

thanx for the answer- didnt think about condensation. I think drinking the vodka would be more cost effective..

Comment

vodka cooled? what a waste of vodka :(

Comment

I'm with them, best to just drink the vodka (and play some drunken deathmatch)

Comment

I have seen some people who advocate putting vodka into the water in watercooling setups, but that was mainly to stop algae and bacteria growth. (I would reccomend isocol alchol for that).

Just drink the vodka- I can't, so you might as well!

Comment

Originally posted by Black Rain
              I have seen some people who advocate putting vodka into the water in watercooling setups, but that was mainly to stop algae and bacteria growth. (I would reccomend isocol alchol for that).

Just drink the vodka- I can't, so you might as well!

I would imagine that if the setup worked flushing the system would be done less often. Also I am only 18 myself so I technically can't drink- but everyone has heard about college life.... :cheers:

Comment

I'm not particularly fond of Vodka myself so I see this as a means of getting something useful out of that liquid. :barf:

Now bourbon on the other hand... :thumb:
                Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
                My Toys

Comment

What about Rum? :drool:

Comment

If its OP rum then I'll take it b4 Beff does. :D

Comment

Working...
                    X