temps when OC'ing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OMG!

I almost died tonight, i got that shipment of arctic silver in the mail and when i took the hsf off to put it on guess what came with it?? IT RIPPED MY PROC OUT! I remembered reading about it happening to someone else but i didnt even think about it when i was taking it out. I looked at it and a whole corner of the pins were bent and i had to carefully unbend them all and try to get it back in the socket. Thankfully i got it back in and my system is running but its idling at 40

sometimes i just need to know when to stop i guess... any thoughts?

Comment

oh i was doing some reading in the other threads and i think i know one of my problems, i put a LOT more thermal compound on than a drop the size of a b.b. do you think thats why my temps are doing so bad again? Or do you think the screwed up pins may have something to do with it?

Comment

Pins are a touchy subject, its hard to say. Usually screwed up pins result in the CPU messing up, glitching, w/e, not so much with higher heat (could be wrong tho). The higher idle temp is most likely because you put too much artic silver 5 on. Too much TIM can raise temps because its too big of a distance for the heat to travel to the HSF. Take off all the arctic silver and THOROUGHLY wipe the chip and heat sink with isoprophyl alcohol and apply again. The layer should be paper thin at most, just enough to seal the two surfaces of air bubbles. Sometimes taking a thick piece of plastic (like the kind that CD players and other electronics come in) and scraping the TIM to cover the entire surface of the heatspreader in a thin layer works well. Anyways, too much thermal grease sounds like your problem. Also beware that it takes some time for a TIM to cure and temps will slowly drop as time progresses (usually after a couple days of use it should be almost set). But if you think you put on too much I would try again, the arctic silver site has great instructions here . Hoped that helped, : peace2: Mista K6

Comment

ok thanks mista k6,

i will take it off but im scared to take the hsf off again...

i cant afford a new processor! :scream:

Comment

OK...

well i reapplied the arctic silver, and instead of cutting a hole in the top of the case i decided i try putting a high speed 60mm in the back as exhaust and the 80mm i had back there up front and now my temps are

31 C Idle
            48 C Stressed

:thumb: :thumb:

hows this??

Comment

Very nice, you'll temps will go even lower if you try the fan configurations suggested. Also, a 92mm in the back can run slower and still push the same amount of air, which will save your ears :thumb:. Anyways, at that o/c'd speed, those are good temps. The large difference between the idle and load temps is due to the fact that your case cant adequately exhaust all of the hot air, but 48C is still very good (anything under 50 is). Nice job you've done there :thumb: : peace2: Mista K6

Comment

hey thanks :cheers:

i just dont have the adequate tools to cut in to my case and i figured this would be a cheap (albeit loud!) experiment before i get the supplies to cut it. But im pretty happy with these temps

Comment

Read post about reversing direction of fan on side of case. WOW, reduced my CPU temp from 48C to 46C idle. Was getting pretty good temps on load, but was always higher than others on idle.

Thanks for the info all

XP Athlon 2500+
                  Gigabyte GA700N-L mobo
                  OC'd to 3200+

Comment

Awesome, its good to see people readingo ther posts and getting good info from them :thumb: . : peace2: Mista K6

Comment

Working...
                    X