No announcement yet.

temps when OC'ing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is what I would do. Cut all the silly stamped grilles out. Using wire grilles on the side. No grill needed on back. Seal off those holes.
    athlon xp-m@2456mhz(12x204)
    tt aquariusII liquid cooled/ arctic silver ceramique
    asus a7n8xe-dlx
    thermaltake xaserIII lanfire
    bfg 6800gt
    seagate sataII 250gb/seagate 7200rpm 160gb ide
    samsung dvdrw
    2x1024 kingston hyper-x pc3200/ windows xp pro sp3
    logitech mx518/ logitech wingman rumble
    2x samsung 955df 19"/ canon i960
    creative x-fi fatal1ty 64mb/ altec lansing 251-5.1
    mushkin 550w

opteron 146 @ 2850 (10x285)
    DFI infinity nf4 ultra
    thermaltake tsunami dream -black
    seagate sataII 500gb
    evga 8600gt oc ssc edition
    samsung sata dvd-rw
    2x1024 ocz black
    logitech ifeel/ nec accusync 75f
    ocz fatal1ty 550w

Comment

i was thinking about doing almost that exact same thing maximus7001 :thumb:

im just a little apprehensive of chopping up my pretty new case haha...

ill do whats necessary though... ill give this puppy some airflow :devil win

Comment

Don't worry about choppin' it as its a cheap and nasty thing so hack the *******. :hammer:

Comment

before i do all this i just wanna make sure i have to,

heres my temps right now:

cpu idle: 37 C
          cpu load: 57C
          system: 26C

im getting some new arctic silver being shipped right now to try and bring the cpu temps down but what do you guys think of the rest?

Comment

The only thing ya left out was ya room temp at the time and the whole system is subjective to what ya room temp is. :rolleyes:

Comment

my room temp is about 65 fahrenheit, cant think of the conversion of the top of my head though

Comment

Well with a room temp of 18C ya really have an airflow prob so either sell the case to some other sucker or hack the SOB because those temps suck bad.

Comment

dammit... well what if i said the room temps were closer to 75?

i dont want to buy a new case but i will butcher it if i have to

Comment

Well that's only 24C which still mean that ya case airflow sucks.

Comment

i did a couple mods to the cooling arrangement and ive brought down the temps a bit...

cpu idle: 31 C
                      cpu load: 53C

and thats without the new thermal compound :thumb:

do you think ill be in the clear for more OC'ing after i get it?

Comment

Get your load temps to 45c or so and you'll have enough head room to do more OCing. I was just looking at your case again and I think there's some more that can be done. Adding that 92mm to the back like maximus7001 said is a very good idea. Judging by how much air the front portion of your case can bring in (you might have to cut away some of the bottom bezel to allow enough air to flow in), I would cut out those 4 60mm fan positions and put in a low speed 120mm ~ 50CFM. I'd then put both side fans on intake, have the 92mm in the back as exhaust, the PSU as exhaust, and then cut in a 92mm blow hole low speed fan on the top just over the CPU and in front of the PSU. This would give you the 120mm and 2 80mm in (approx. 50+32+32 = 114CFM in), and then I'd put a high speed 92mm in the back on exhaust (not a tornado tho, you dont want to go deaf), say ~50CFM, then have the PSU and the 92mm blow hole (vantec stealth would be great there) (50+30+28 = 108CFM out) This way you have VERY good air flow in the system, but you also have slightly positive case pressure and that can eliminate alot of dust coming in. Anyways, I would try that configuration with your new Arctic Silver 5, I think you'll see temps well below 45c. Make sure you thoroughly wipe clean the chip and heatsink with isoprophyl alcohol before you put on the artic silver 5, you dont want alot of that old crappy TIM to be left over. : peace2: Mista K6

Comment

woah they make fans that big??

but yeah that sounds like a good plan and not too hard on my wallet or my tools.

that will be my next major project :devil:

Comment

I've seen a 140mm before, but 120mm is usually the biggest one you can find (standardized). Anyways, rock on, I see you got your FSB up to 250 now, how're the temps? :?: Did you get that Arctic Silver 5 yet? Anyways, glad you got some more juice out of that. : peace2: Mista K6

Comment

haha someday they will be able to rig a house fan to connect with a molex :laugh:

yep i got it running fully stable at 250, the temps are ok, maxing at 54, i know thats kinda high but i havent put the arctic silver on yet so hopefully that will bring things down.

Comment

That arctic silver will probably bring it down to 50-51C, and those temps arent that bad for such a high overclock, gj man :thumb: . : peace2: Mista K6

P.S., of course if you want to get lower temps, get a heatsink beyond the one that Intel provides, such as an all copper thermalright.

Comment

Working...
                                X