Temp Issue, Need Help.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Temp Issue, Need Help.

Hello, I put in my new cpu yesterday. Its the new P4 3.4 Ghz 800fsb. Im running a Giga-Byte 8IK1100 ver 2.0 motherboard. I have a Thermaltake Spark 7+ (rated at 3.6ghz+) cpu fan running at full speed (6000rpm), allthis stuck inside a Thermaltake Xaser III lanfire case. I have excellent wire managment, perfect airflow, round IDE cables. I put a thin coat of Arctic Silver thermal paste evenly on the cpu. With all that said, yesterday (first 24 hours with the new cpu in), I was getting a 46c degrees temp. at idle. and 54c-55c degrees temp. running at load (benchmarking). Today (after 24 hours of new cpu usage) I am getting 40c degrees at idle, and about 50c degrees at full load. My room temperature has been a constant 60-62 degrees farenheit (quite chilly). Anyways, I have searched forum after forum for an answer. Does anyone know if this generally run hotter than normal P4's, or not? I would like to start overclocking this cpu, but not until I find out why it isnt stayin cool, and fix the problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

:flames:

Update. This thing is getting real hot again. 54 degrees celcius running Seti@home . :mad:

Comment

It is always best to start with the basics, so lets take a look at a couple of things...

- Have you double checked the HSF installation to make sure it is installed properly?

- Did you apply the Arctic Silver to the entire core area of the CPU?

- The Spark7 has a fan speed adjustment... is the fan spinning at a reasonable rate? If so, then max it out and see if that helps.

- Same as above but for the case fans. All Xaser series cases come with a rheostat system for controlling fan speeds. I believe yours comes with a version that allows you to either set up automatic thermal control or monitoring options (manual fan speed adjustments) only. Make sure you have the ability to speed the case fans up if necessary. It will become a good deal louder, but the cooling effects will be noticeable.

- Do you have fans mounted in all available sockets in your Lanfire case?

Hopefully this will help a little, or at least get you on the road to a cooler system. :D
      Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
      My Toys

Comment

I'd say this is a case of someone not using thermal paste. If so, when you apply it, only put a drop about the size of a BB on the center of the CPU and then put ya HSF back on

Comment

Thanks for your input.....There already was an ample amount of Thermal Paste on the CPU. I put it on and spread it evenly over the entire cpu myself. Did what AMD man said, took the HSF off and put another ball on it, and spread it around to all corners. The Spark 7+ fan is running at max speed (6000rpm.) There is a jumper setting where you can either control your fan speed, or make it run full speed all the time. I have it run full speed all the time since I dont mind the noise. The way I have it set up now, I cut a whole and added a 120mm intake fan on top. So all together I have 3 intake fans (top and sides), and 2 exhaust fans (front and back). They are all running at their maximized speed. Although my case did come with fan speed control, I dont have it enabled. I feel no need to since casefans are easy to replace if they wear out, and like i said, I dont mind the noise. So pretty much everything you guys said to do I did, or it was already done. Still no help :( 43c at idle right now. I'm just leaning towards the fact that the 3.4 might just run hot. I guess I have to wait until it's been out a while, and more reviews get wrote on it.

Comment

Hot air rises, change the top vent to exhaust and use the lowest located vents as intakes. Might help.

Comment

DUHHHH. Sometimes its the simplest of things. I shoulda thought of that. Althought I doubt it will significantly reduce my cpu temp, it should be done. Thanks!!!!

Comment

Its also possible that ya mobo is just reporting higher temps than what they are...

Comment

Firstly ya in no danger of damagin' the CPU as at around 75C the CPU will automatically start throttling itself down (reducing speed) and if temps still go up then the CPU will shut itself down.
                  Secondly over all the years I've used Gigabyte boards they tend to report higher temps than other boards.
                  Thirdly it sounds like ya may have put too much thermal paste on. With exposed cored CPU's ya cover the whole top face of the core with a very thin layer of paste about as thick as thin paper but with CPU's that have heat spreaders fitted over their cores ya only need to put a drop of thermal paste in the middle of the heat spreader (about the size of a grain of shortgrain rice) and then attach the HSF and that will evenly spread out over the area of the heat spreader that requires it. Here's Arctic Silver's guide.

Comment

Working...
                  X