i need to power 2 60mm fans with a usb cable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i need to power 2 60mm fans with a usb cable

i'm going to cut and rout out holes in my desk to fit 2 60mm fans so i can cool off my laptop when it's on my desk. i don't want to buy a laptop cooler tray thing because i'm cheap, and i've already got fans and broken usb peripherals to get the cable from. i know you can do it because most laptop coolers are usb powered. i need to know what part of the usb cable conducts the power to the fans. help?

The voltage of USB ports is only 5v which in some cases isn't enough to start a fan let alone run one at anywhere near full speed.

Comment

:thumbs do

what voltage would i need to pull off? how many batteries do i need?

Comment

8 x 1.5v batteries to get to 12v but they'd likely not last long. Better to get a 12v transformer with enough ampage to run them.

Comment

You might try something like this. I'm sure there are other fans that run natively on 5V as well. I like the USB idea. Very convenient :thumb:

Comment

Somehow I don't like the idea of straining the usb power to it's limit. But I agree it would be very convenient.. :)

Comment

Originally posted by The__tweaker
              Somehow I don't like the idea of straining the usb power to it's limit. But I agree it would be very convenient.. :)
              I agree

Comment

Wimps...:p

Comment

Working...
                X