Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help not smashing my BARTON

Hey guys,
    gotta problem here - just bought a AMD 2500 barton core and a volcano 9. When i tried to put the massive volcano on my CPU it took a lot of pressure on the clip, but i figured they just didnt want it moving around since it is rather large. so i pressed...and finally attached it. it ran for like 2 seconds then gibbed. the cpu was fried, woohoo... *cough* so, i think i may have smashed the cpu core - i found a website that mentions these copper shims that help protect the chip from being smashed, but the only ones i can find say "not for barton chips" etc. =\ What do you guys recommend i do so that i dont smash the crap out of my next cpu?
    Thanks for your help =)

It sounds like ya may have rocked/rolled the HSF over the core while ya were attachin' it. AMD has a good .pdf guide right here and there's even a video here.

Comment

just got a small question for ya:

if you turn the computer on again...does the same thing happen?
      I had the same problem and it seemed my HSF was connected the wrong way....turned it 180 degrees and worked perfectly

Comment

Is the edge that goes up 1-2mm over the edge on the socket that says the socket name etc? But it does soound like a chipped/cracked core. You have got to set the HSF flat onto the CPU, no angling or rolling can or needs to be involved in mounting it.

Comment

yeah i tried the same CPU in a different computer with a different(smaller - less evil) heatsink and it didnt do a thing, so i think its dead. When my new one comes ill try to set the HSF on there as level as possible. also, how thick of a layer of thermal compound do you put on the cpu core?i dont want to put too much and kill it, or too little and have no heat transfer.

Comment

Only a very thin layer in needed (as thick as thin paper) but here's guides to that as well.

Comment

Working...
            X