Watercooling: two radioators?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Watercooling: two radioators?

This question goes out to those folks who have been into watercooling longer than I have. Would it be of any use to "upgrade" an existing watercooling system with a second radiator? Anyone ever tried that?

There is a pic around here with a system that had 6 or so but yes the more you add the better result you should get.

Comment

then if it give better results, then how come people only use 1? if u can buy watercooling , then u should be able to get 2 rads, but y dont i see tat much 2+ rad watercooling rigs?

Comment

Well, my thoughts on that:

1.) people with an internal water cooling would probably run out of space;
        2.) one very good radiator might be better than two bad ones
        3.) good radiators are quite expensive

Comment

Originally posted by smokin_pc
          then if it give better results, then how come people only use 1? if u can buy watercooling , then u should be able to get 2 rads, but y dont i see tat much 2+ rad watercooling rigs?
          Cost and area within the case is the main reason but if the rad's are mounted outside the case (yes the system will not be portable) then the more heat transference (dissapation) the better (simple thermal dynamics will tell ya such).

Sorry smokin_pc if I put ya nose outa joint in this thread but if ya spent a few years playin' around with these things then ya'd know better (I'm not pickin' on ya personally but experience will tell ya different, especially when ya live in a hot place like here). : peace2:

Comment

The rig in my outlet uses two Senfu Radiators and a local aquarium Pump called Super King ( Funny name ):p . Anyways paired with the Danger Den Maze 3, a Radeon Block and a Z-Chip Block it works fine and we kept the cost down. The expensive parts were the 3 pcs of Danger Den products as the Radiators are reasonable. It runs at 33 Idle and 38 at full load. The ambient temp here is about 27. The radiators are cooled with Evercool Crystal Fans.

Comment

If you use 2 radiators the pump has to work harder (or you need a stronger pump) both increase water temps (very little, but still).
              Just use the biggest rad you can fit in you case or if you go external; the biggest you can afford. 1 big radiator is more efficient that 2 small ones with the same watervolume. :2cents:

Comment

Originally posted by Nosferatu
                If you use 2 radiators the pump has to work harder (or you need a stronger pump) both increase water temps (very little, but still).
                Just use the biggest rad you can fit in you case or if you go external; the biggest you can afford. 1 big radiator is more efficient that 2 small ones with the same watervolume. :2cents:
                I think that ya need to rethink ya first statement a bit and 2 big radiators will transfer more heat than one big one. Sorry but if ya think about it a bit ya should see why.

Comment

The reason for 2 rads is bcoz the 1st rad cools down the heat passed on by the Z Chip and Radeon Block then it goes to the Maze 3 and then back to the second Rad so that the water temp is always cool as it goes back to the resevoir. The cool water stored is then ready for the next cycle.

Comment

If I ran 2 radiators, I'd do this:

Reservoir->Rad #1->Pump->CPU->Northbridge->Rad #2->Video Card

Comment

Originally posted by Wiggo
                      I think that ya need to rethink ya first statement a bit and 2 big radiators will transfer more heat than one big one. Sorry but if ya think about it a bit ya should see why.
                      Ok 2 big ones do better than 1 big. But I am still sure that 1 big one is more efficient than 2 small ones (less resistance for the same amount of water)

fact: If you add a second rad to the setup, the waterflow will decrease.
                      fact:the pump will try to rotate at the same speed, but can't due to the friction of the 2nd rad.
                      In every situation part of the power consumption is converted to heat because of the friction of the pump. When the resistance for the pump increases, a bigger amount of power will be converted to heat since that energy can't be converted to kinetic energy.

Off course you don't have to agree, but at least I know its true :)

Comment

Hehe, love the sig there Nosferatu: "Make FPS, not war" :D
                        Sorry for being off topic, but that one just caught my attention ;)

Comment

If a radiator restricts the flow of water then ya have the wrong radiator.

Comment

Okay

1) Do not use radiators, use heatercores they are cheaper and cool better.-simple

2) Running dual heatercores isn't that difficult. To do it correctly, one must set up the heatercores in parallel not series. This means use a Y-fitting. This is great for heatercores, it increases flow and will decrease your load temperatures.

Two heatercores are pretty kickass, but most people do not have space for them nor run them correctly. Just remember PARALLEL, its a big deal.

Comment

Originally posted by t00lb0x
                              1) Do not use radiators, use heatercores they are cheaper and cool better.-simple
                              Ummm.. heatercores are just radiators but on a smaller format in the auto industry (they're both built on the same principals) but in the PC industry a heatercore is a radiator (ya wouldn't really use the full size automobile one) if ya really want to get technical. :rolleyes2

Comment

Working...
                              X