cpu runing at 61-75oc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cpu runing at 61-75oc

I just ordered this cooler from Thermaltake called the Silent Boost. All copper, 21dB fan and is tested to be within 1-2 degrees of a Volcano 11+ on high!
    In the interrim, this may sound like a smartass answer, but have you thought of moving your computer to a cooler spot? I actually moved locations entirely, but here all my computers are on the north side of the house, and all of them run cooler than I've ever gained from any cooling mod I've ever done. Make sure it's not enclosed or the exhaust fans in back aren't blocked. Opening a window or cranking up the A/C helps too. Have you tried the case-side off test? If your CPU is cooler with the case side off, you need more case ventilation. I personally love these tips I've learned from other folks here at TweakTown as they're entirely within my budget....FREE! :thumb: Good luck with choosing a cooler. Everyone has their own favorite, so just do your research and listen to folks and what they use. :cheers:

Comment

:wow: woah there sparky, that is dangerously high! first off, it sounds like you have a major case cooling problem. Take off the side pannel and point a desk fan into it and see how much the temps drop. Secondly, when was the last time you cleaned the dust out of the HSF, that can make a HUGE difference if it is clogged with dust.

as for a replace ment HSF, a volcano 7+ with some arctic silver 3 (or similar TIM) will work well for you ... but the best HSF and TIM in the world wont help you much if your case cooling really sucks.

There are plenty of good HSF out there, but I'd recomend at least using the v7+ as a starting point for comparison.

Comment

Originally posted by minibubba
        Take off the side pannel and point a desk fan into it and see how much the temps drop.
        Jinx, you owe me a Coke :P

Comment

lol, I see you beat me to it ...make it a beer and you've got a deal :)

Comment

WOOOHOOOO!!!
            A it is!

Comment

Yep I have same problem with those nasty temps (AMD XP2000+). Atm I just have a small desk fan blowing in as I am waiting to get a Vantec Aeroflow cooler. My temps dropped from about 60-65 to 49-53 by using a desk fan at idle. The system temp is 29 so the CPU could still use some cooling on my part.

Comment

Thanks for the advice i tryed it with the case of an that only droped it a few degrees. but i took the fan off an found a pile of dust on the heatsink cleaned that of an cleaned the fan an tht seems to helped for at last its in the high 50's i havnt tryed in a game yet.

im looking into geting the Thermaltake Silent Boost if i can find a british company that sells it.

also my system temp is around 26 is tht 2 high?

Comment

A few degrees matters! Well, OK, it's not critical, but it DOES show you could use some better case ventilation. Some systems actually get hotter when you take the case side off! As far as your system temp....that sounds good, but it also depends on the room temp. That's what I was getting at in my earlier post about the location of your machine, but it looks like it's just your CPU that is getting hot. What cooler are you running now? If it's the stocker and you're using the stock pink thermal pad, you can usually get several degrees cooler by using a better thermal interface material, like Arctic Silver 3. Lapping the heatsink can give you a few more degrees, but you can only polish a turd so much. If you want to optimize your cooling, I'd reccommend getting an all copper cooler, lapping it AND using a better TIM. Happy cooling! :cheers:

Comment

Comment

No problem mate!
                      Lapping is polishing the contact surface of your heatsink for better transfer of thermal energy. It involves using wet/dry sandpaper in finer and finer grits until the bottom shines like a mirror. This is obviously labor-intensive, but the materials are cheap and the results usually worthwhile. There are many guides out there so I won't be more specific.
                      TIM=Thermal Interface Material...there are quite a few out there, but this is basically for the same purpose as lapping: Improving the transfer of heat AWAY from the CPU as efffectively as possible. Arctic Silver 3 uses silver, a very good conductor, to fill in any microscopic voids and displace any air gaps from the heatsink to the CPU die. The smallest tube they sell is about $7US and will do dozens of applications, so it is also a cheap mod. It's also called thermal grease, and is applied in a thin layer to the CPU die and the HS.
                      I wanted to ask you earlier....have you moved your computer recently or perhaps shifted the heatsink? This can cause airgaps to form between the HS and the CPU, and therefore, increase temps. Perhaps when you replaced that stock fan you moved the HS. Get some TIM of a brand you like, then carefully remove your heatsink, strip off all that old goo with a mild solvent, such as rubbing alcohol, and reapply the TIM according to the manufacturer's specifications. After just a short while, the CPU will burn in the TIM, and you'll have the best cooling possible. I hope this helps you! :cheers:

Comment

Comment

try this guide for lapping your HSF:

as for getting the HSF off, take a close look at the base of it. You should see a metal tab on each side that is attached to the cpu socket by a plastic tab. One of these metal tabs will have a bit extra on it formed into a shape that will accomodate a flat head screwdriver. Insert the head of the screwdriver into this spot and push down and pull away from the plastic tab on the cpu socket to get it to release. Once that is done, just lift the HSF off the cpu and unhook the metal from the plastic on the other side. BUT be sure you don't break the plastic tabs or you wont be able to put a standard HSF back on.

Comment

TY Bubba!
                            I'd add this: Spend the time to find a flathead screwdriver that fits perfectly. Slipping and putting a hole through the mobo tends to make things not work too well...:eek:
                            Sometimes it's also worth the time to remove the motherboard completely from the case. Some cases/heatsink/mobo combinations don't leave much room to get any leverage. You might also try laying the computer on its side so the heatsink can't fall once it's released, and for stability and leverage. Oh! Make sure it's not just shut off but unplugged!:thumb:

Comment

also, it would be a good idea to get yourself an ESD braclet so you don't go shocking any of your hardware if you happen to touch something other than the HSF

They are cheap and widely available, considering the cost it's a worthwile investment

:cheers:

Comment

Working...
                              X