unbeatable cooling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• unbeatable cooling

Well I have lived in the same house for 3 years. Last fall, the stupid landlord, intending to prune the 90year old tree in the front yard, ended up aimlessly hacking half the tree away. Then the dumb neighbor did the same thing in the back yard but only worse, most of the tree. These trees almost totally shaded the house. So this summer, the temps inside the house with the air on were reaching 40-50c instead of 20-25 and burnt my 20 year old air conditioner out. Sure it was old and a bit weak, but it just couldnt keep up.
    So I went and bought a new one. The old one was mounted a smaller hole in the wall so the new one wouldnt fit. So after trying all the windows in the house, the only one that opens is directly beside the computer. So thats where it went.

Well the computer temps can't get any lower. With seti running 27/7, the temps stay exactly where they were or lower than when it was first turned on.
    And while we are on the topic of air conditioners, I spent $140cdn on it and the government average power consumption rating is $33cdn/year. While everyone else I know suffers in the heat thinking these things cost too much to buy and operate. That idea just plain stupid. A coffie maker uses more power. This is kinda 2003, not 1903. It's just rediculous, sweat pouring off of them and sometimes heatstroke not to mention the b/o. Some of these people are the same ones that had no trouble shelling out(example) $1100 for a p4 3ghz before the summer that can't be cooled properly in those temps anyway(now the same cpu is $571cdn). That was a pretty dumb upgrade from a 3 month old p4 2.8ghz. But that's a different subject.
    athlon xp-m@2456mhz(12x204)
    tt aquariusII liquid cooled/ arctic silver ceramique
    asus a7n8xe-dlx
    thermaltake xaserIII lanfire
    bfg 6800gt
    seagate sataII 250gb/seagate 7200rpm 160gb ide
    samsung dvdrw
    2x1024 kingston hyper-x pc3200/ windows xp pro sp3
    logitech mx518/ logitech wingman rumble
    2x samsung 955df 19"/ canon i960
    creative x-fi fatal1ty 64mb/ altec lansing 251-5.1
    mushkin 550w

opteron 146 @ 2850 (10x285)
    DFI infinity nf4 ultra
    thermaltake tsunami dream -black
    seagate sataII 500gb
    evga 8600gt oc ssc edition
    samsung sata dvd-rw
    2x1024 ocz black
    logitech ifeel/ nec accusync 75f
    ocz fatal1ty 550w

Does it get cold sitting there, cuz i have a setup similar to that but i was thinking i would freeze with an air conditioner right next to my head.

Comment

No it's not cold, it's an oasis from the heat. The sun beating down on the house= 15c above outside temp with the old a/c on. Not anymore. As the temps lower, the pot. gets lowered.(dial) It has not left full blast yet. I can actually wear clothes in the house now(lol), before it would be heatstroke time. The average joe thinks we live in igloos, but it get's f ing hot here. The only place in the world that goes from -40c to 40c.
      athlon xp-m@2456mhz(12x204)
      tt aquariusII liquid cooled/ arctic silver ceramique
      asus a7n8xe-dlx
      thermaltake xaserIII lanfire
      bfg 6800gt
      seagate sataII 250gb/seagate 7200rpm 160gb ide
      samsung dvdrw
      2x1024 kingston hyper-x pc3200/ windows xp pro sp3
      logitech mx518/ logitech wingman rumble
      2x samsung 955df 19"/ canon i960
      creative x-fi fatal1ty 64mb/ altec lansing 251-5.1
      mushkin 550w

opteron 146 @ 2850 (10x285)
      DFI infinity nf4 ultra
      thermaltake tsunami dream -black
      seagate sataII 500gb
      evga 8600gt oc ssc edition
      samsung sata dvd-rw
      2x1024 ocz black
      logitech ifeel/ nec accusync 75f
      ocz fatal1ty 550w

Comment

How I could've done with one of them last summer in Sydney. :drool:

Comment

you think thats bad try Florida in the summer:grr: :drool:

Comment

Does it get to the mid 40C's there as well? :?:

Comment

Even higher:steam:

Comment

heh, oof topic but, nice mouse, Logitech Mouseman???

I got the same one:P

Comment

In Miami Florida...the thing is that the Humidity here is crazy high plus the temps being ez mid day at 95 to 105 degrees F or 35-40 c..everything is soo sticky...Wwe do get alot of rain tho...i remember you having touble with that ...

Glad you got your cooling set up str8 its amazing what trees can do...
                  - Damien

Comment

We just got out of a bloody heatwave, about 100F 95% humidity for two weeks :( All ended with a major 10inch rain which flooded badly.

Comment

Good BEach weather but nothing to work under...sheesh
                      - Damien

Comment

Working...
                      X