No announcement yet.

Fan blowing or sucking from heat sink?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fan blowing or sucking from heat sink?

What is better??
    - blowing in the heat sink?
    - sucking air from the heat sink?

i was thinking about doing something like gluing small heat sinks to the top of the cpu heat sink and reverse fan so i couls suck air, is thi a good idea?

P.S. it's a STD HSF that came with my AMD 1800+

There are very few coolers that perform better with the air sucking and they are all aftermarket. You'll want your fan installed where it blows downward toward the processor.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Comment

Yep, you want the fdan blwoing into the Heatsink. Also, if thats the stock AMD cooler, Id recommend you getting a new heatsink/fan, such as the Volcano 7+, especially if your planning on oveclocking

Comment

Comment

What RAM you got?

Comment

PLATINUM ddr 333 running at 2-2-2-6 (at 290Mhz)

Anyone know about this ram?? seems generic!
            found it... made by gbmicro...hummm

your right...damn ill do some more tests with the memory clocks less agressives!

Comment

The only fans that I know of that were built specifically to suck the air away from the heatsink are the Alpha heatsinks. They have shrouds on them.

Comment

Ya correct about the Alpha's but many other HSF's have shrouds and blow into the core (eg: Volcano 7+).

Comment

DOH... Your right. I forgot about them. I guess try it both ways and see what happens. I know on the Alpha's that I have used, pulling the air from the heatsink was better in my experience.

Comment

My idea is to block the top side (the fins) of the heatsink with little heat sinks... doing something like the alpha, and sucking air from it. Getting the idea?? (Stock AMD HSF from XP1800+ T-Bred B)

Doing this, the air would come from the bottom of the modded heat sink and exhaust from the top, close from my custom case exhaust fans (3 x 40 mm)

Is it a good idea?
                    Man i love modding my comp!!!

Comment

I really dont see that working to be honest with ya ;)

Comment

Ask yourself this question. If it worked better with the fan sucking instead of blowing, why didn't the people who designed the heat sink in the first place design it that way? I mean, they are in the business to make money, and the best way to do that is to sell the best product you can. Right?

Comment

Working...
                        X