Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• noob water cooling questions

a couple o' questions:

1. Im pretty new to the whole water cooling scene so i wanted to start experimenting with different kits. I am planning on buying a DIY water cooling kit, but i wanted to know which was best for an Athlon XP and GeForce4. I plan to spend around $100-200 US dollars.

2. Also, if you are using water cooling, do you still need any fans running in your computer, or can i get rid of all the extra wires?

Originally posted by mpetrie
    a couple o' questions:

1. Im pretty new to the whole water cooling scene so i wanted to start experimenting with different kits. I am planning on buying a DIY water cooling kit, but i wanted to know which was best for an Athlon XP and GeForce4. I plan to spend around 0-200 US dollars.

2. Also, if you are using water cooling, do you still need any fans running in your computer, or can i get rid of all the extra wires?

I'd go with the following parts:
    D-tek TC-4
    Danger den heatercore
    Hydor L30
    10' clearflex 60
    then if you want to watercool your video card, get a Swiftech mcw50

For the fans, you'll need atleast one on your radioator/heatercore, but you will also want atleast one case fan too.

but, you can with very quiet fans for this.

Comment

Also, keep in mind that if your motherboard doesn't have mounting holes around the CPU ("problem" with some Socket A boards, like mine) you'll be a bit limited on the waterblock selection. The 2 that don't need the holes that I've found are the Danger Den Maze 4SHD and the Swiftech MCW5000, the latter is what I'll be using here shortly.

Comment

What other accessories will i need? Clamps? Tape? I dunno... Do i need any other junk? coolant? lol, i probably should have just searched out a guide for this, but i guess its all the same.

Does anyone know good guides i should check out?

Comment

There's a ton of w/c'ing info there.

Coolant: water, preferrably distilled in case of a leak (pretest the W/C system before using. Adding some water wetter isn't a bad idea either since it helps improve the water flow (or something like that), which helps with the cooling.

Comment

Working...
          X