No announcement yet.

Homeade Refrigerated Computer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How are you going to use the fridge as a case anyway? are you going to use the ledges for the metal grate that you use to put stuff on, as support for the motherboard?

I am getting the right kind of idea.... Right? lol

Comment

im going to mod the inside to hold the board. Obiouslly I am going to use somthing plastic to hold the board for condutivity reasons. Im going to have a few 120 mm fans blowing over the board to keep a constant circulation in the fridge thereby reducing condensation. I will also have silica gel in the fridge to deal with the condensation levels of warm mixed with cold. I was planning to start this project sooner but I just moved. Moving sucks.. LOL

:smokin:

Comment

Well, if this works, you can start making them in mass production, coz I'd buy one and I'm sure other people would, it'll save you from having to run to the kitchen to get a coke. :D

It'll be another great invention for those lazy people out there, like the CD tray beverage holder, and the Slot A mini cooker (coz it got so damn hot) :thumb:

Comment

You know 'bout the Slot A mini cooker too???
          I had a friend who, at the time, knrew alot more about computers than i, and he built a Slot A Athlon 600 (i think thats how fast it was) that had no case, sat out in the open and had a metal bowllike thing just sitting on top the HSF. KIt was weird cause the had to make little plastic props from the MoBo to hold it up cause the bowl was large enough that the HSF and proc wouldnt hold it up.... he was a weird college kid with too much time.... i thought he had the idea on his own, and this was before my surfing days (cause I refuse to surf on dial-up) so i didnt know it was on the web... i think he sucessfuly cooked an egg once... breakfast after a long nite of uninterrupted gaming prolly.

Comment

Slot A cooking was a big thing just after the Slot A boards came out, in some schools they used to have 'cooking/computer' rooms because it was cheaper and much more efficient.

It was also an easy way for cooks to show off their talents live on the internet. :rolleyes:

Comment

Now that what i call Kitchen Appliance... :p

Comment

Originally posted by Wiggo
                Sorry guys but if was to leave standard air coolin' then this is the only thing atm that I'd go to. :devil:
                :smokin: :thumb: Right on Wiigo:cheers: My choice exactly

& next purchase as soon as can find us source for what has

to be the finest exmpl of Scandanavian technology since the

the advent of Double Bit 2 hnd bttl Axe/20 ore ship also

by da Danes.........Prometeia Rules......oh, and hey AMD2nr...

chk out Maximum PC issue Aug.2001 pg.44 although ya'd

have ta compromise on size & get freezer/fridge....it's a fo

sho can do Canuk style:snip: :confused: : peace2:
                Happiness isn't something you experience; it's something you recall.

Comment

Originally posted by Cloud Strife
                  Well, if this works, you can start making them in mass production, coz I'd buy one and I'm sure other people would, it'll save you from having to run to the kitchen to get a coke. :D

It'll be another great invention for those lazy people out there, like the CD tray beverage holder, and the Slot A mini cooker (coz it got so damn hot) :thumb:
                  But it all sounds kinda cool:thumb:

"it'll save you from having to run to the kitchen to get a coke" in most cases you might mean a BEER

Good luck in this prodject I really hope you are successful in it:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Comment

But the cd-tray only holds one beer, where does my 18 pack of longneck bottles go???:confused:

Comment

Originally posted by JediAgent
                      But the cd-tray only holds one beer, where does my 18 pack of longneck bottles go???:confused:
                      hmm how about an 18 bay server all with a beer!!!!! Hmmmmm that's sounds awesome, but if i were to do that, i feel that wiggo would move in w/ me :D :D j/k

Comment

Originally posted by kane2g
                        hmm how about an 18 bay server all with a beer!!!!! Hmmmmm that's sounds awesome, but if i were to do that, i feel that wiggo would move in w/ me :D :D j/k

I think kane2g was poking a funny to you wiggo

No but really, keep going on your prodject, I really hope you do it

Comment

Hey and maybe add a toilet too?? Because the Beers gatta go somewhere else while your pc'ing ya know??
                          I mean for the and/or us lazy people:wave:

Comment

I can just see it now... A universal, versatile house-hold appliance, you can keep your drinks in it, you can cook your food in it, it will hold your "waste", it can hold the beverage that you're drinking, you can attach a nozzle to it to make it act as a hoover, ohh... And is also a computer :D

I reckon someone could convert one of those big racing arcade machines into something like that, something I wouldn't mind trying to do if I had the equipment. ;)

Comment

This conversation caught my eye.. Ive been considering the same thing, though a little differently, how about taking a water cooling kit and running it to the hard drive and cpu and gpu and memory, fsb, and then sticking the radiator in the refridgerator, and im thinking a portable like the 12 volt ones for trucks and stuff, but taking that tiny refridgerator and moding it into the top of the case (cause heat rises, etc.) then have two power supplys running (one for the m/b, and one for the fans and refridge) one could be a 400 watt atx the other could be a 200 watt at power supply.. this seems to have been the best conclusion in my mind. it leaves gobs of power for overclocking and accessories (neon lights are the bomb).. i want a completely clear pc but i wanna seal it off so i get no dust the only prob is the other pieces (sound card and such) that need cooling.. what a company needs to design is a m/b that has liquid runinng through itlike through the middle.. i know im crazy, but i figure i might be able to push a 2.5 gHz machine to 4.0 with this.. hopefully..

Comment

If you actually manage to do this, I would suggest that you place all CD/DVD/Floppy drives on the outside of the case. Normal flat IDE will allow you to close the door and still have a pretty good seal.

With something warm in a cold environment you still have a good chance of getting condensation. So try to never open the door unless you have to change something.

I'm not sure if you should turn the fridge/freezer one with the computer inside or put the computer inside once you've reached the desired temp.

Important
                                Also, never *EVER* turn off the fridge while you have computer components inside. Anyone who has been to college and seen what happens at semester's end when everyone puts their fridges out in the hallway could tell you, you get lots and lots of water.

Also, go for the mini-freezer, more bang for buck there and better dehumidifying.

Heatpipes might not work inside a fridge; the deference in temp. may not be enough or may not be in the right range to get good cooling from heat pipe, I don't know.

Also!
                                remember that if you will be sleeping near your computer the fridge will always have to be on, so you will always have the noise of the fridge to deal with.

Comment

Working...
                                X