No announcement yet.

Homeade Refrigerated Computer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SubZero is just a brand and they dont make minis. They start in the 1500$US range for the cheapies.

btw... i would try this out on a POS sytem with old components first. Just a thought.

Comment

Another way to get rid of some of the humidity is to buy "dessicant". This is commonly used in chemistry labs to keep chemicals from sucking humidy out of the air. Another option is silica gel. Every once and a while you would have to put it in your oven and bake it to redry it, but it would cut condensation by a lot.

Also note, that if don't open the fridge too much then you will not be introducing new condensation into the unit, so once the dessicant pulls the moisture out, you will be fine.

Second note, you should tip it on its side since my little beer fridge drips water from the cooling unit that is usually in the top corner.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions guys!!! I'm looking into the dessicant and silica gel products right now...

Most of these mini refrigerators come with that dumb little freezer built in.. They are hard to find without it. How hard do you thinkn it would be to just take the freezer portion out?

Comment

you can't take the "freezer" part out, that actually provides the coolding for the entire unit. You best best is to keep that part away from you electronics.

Comment

The best area to draw air from for the HSF though. :devil win

Comment

Bolson... Do you think this would work?? http://www.brent-krueger.com/silica.html It's only $4.76 and it supposedly works for up to 3 cubic feet. :smokin:

Comment

Good idea Wiggo!!! I didn't even think of that.. That could help a bunch if I can just get this condensation thing figured out.:thumb:

Comment

You realise condensation forms when WARM moist (or not) air hits a cold surface (Like from a radiator on your windows in winter, depending on where you live) ?? Your only problem could be if some component on your MB gets really cold and then you shut off the fridge - air warms up, condensation forms.

If you feel competent enough you could pull the compressor/condesor/gas/cooling pipes off the fridge and install it in a big case like some other guy mentioned in this thread (sorry, net is slow and I am not going back to look who did).

I have seen a couple of these systems commercially available, one is on review now at HardOCP.com for only $550, and they get sub zero temps

Comment

I have company over right now, and I read outloud a few of these threads. Well what do ya know, They are talkin bout it here.
                    Great thing to thought process.:cheers: :smokin:

Comment

Well it might be a week or so now before I finally get to start... Damn bills just keep piling up!!! I hate bills!!! I think I will just stop paying them. (Snicker) My new years resolution is to get this project fully functional. : party ha

Comment

I can't wait to see how this plays out for you.

BTW, did you ever consider just buying a small freezer?? :confused:

You could get a frost free model that'll pull most humidity out, and like the earlier post mentioned, as long as the door is closed most of the time and you have plenty of air moving, shouldn't be a problem!! :hammer:

Good luck : peace2:

Comment

The freezer idea is not bad at all... Find me a cheap one online. I'm just a poor college student so it can't be anything over $100... I would de it in a heartbeat though if I can get a good deal. :thumb:

P.S. Trooper 10 ... Your avitar is sweeet... That's pretty damn funny!!!

Comment

Does anyone know the temoerature at which Hard Drives cease to operate? I would like to build them into the enclosure also but I do not know if they will run.

Comment

I just want to suggest that you don't vacuum any parts of your computer at all (To make it simple), because if there's nothing but space, not even air, then the fridge won't have any influence on the temperture because it doesn't have anything to pass the cold onto, so the CPU and any other component that you would put in this vacuum would just get hotter and hotter (Hotter than if there was air present, as it can act as a type of thermal resistance).

I hope that this is of some help, and that you make this comp-fridge! :D

Comment

Yeah.. I gave up that idea... I am just waiting till I get some cash flow to work on this project. Right now im broke as a joke

Comment

Working...
                                X