Cheap PSU Cable Wrapping Mod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheap PSU Cable Wrapping Mod

Well, I got sick of looking at that mess of PSU wires inside my case, so I went out on the internet to find me some sleeving. After about an hour I realized it was way too expensive for its purpose (wrapping a cable) so I took things into my own hands. I went around the workshop and looked for something to wrap up my cables, and found the wonders of wonders, Electrical Tape. Although not the most aesthic option, it certainly served its purpose of tiding up the inside of my case and the black wrapping doesnt look to bad when looking at the case. Its alot better than a mess of tangles. Sow ithout Further ado... The PSU before Mod...

PSU after wrapping with electrical tape.

Comment

And coming up 2 pics of the case, now alot tidier, with even more increased airflow :smokin:

Comment

Comment

doesn't electrical tape go really sticky if used in hot environments for lengthy periods of time?
          or did i just have **** tape :shrug:
          anyway... looks pretty good, hope the tape doesn't go sticky on you :thumb:

Comment

Lookin' good m8.. :thumb:

If I ship my machine/s over can you fix em' to..?

I'm a lazyass..

Comment

The tape would start to loosen if it was heated up, but my case temp rarely sees more than 30C so I dont think Ill have to worry

Comment

Originally posted by The__tweaker
                Lookin' good m8.. :thumb:

If I ship my machine/s over can you fix em' to..?

I'm a lazyass..
                Sure, you get to pay the air shipping from Europe to US and back again :)

Comment

Why not use that thing like a twisted plastic thingy, i dont know how to describe it, but i got mine in Maplin shop here in UK.

Its better than the electrical tape, because its not sticky.

Comment

Are you talking about the blastic coils used to round up atuo wires? I think those wouldn't be a tight fit. However, I've always been an advocate for electric tape, its some of the best stuff on the planet. I have some in my case too :thumb: . FatGuy, you know if really stretch it as you wrap a wire, in shrinks to the form of the wire? It looks even better. Anyways, glad to see someone else is using it. : peace2: Mista K6

Comment

I've also done that with PSU's on two builds of mine, not mine though

Comment

Looks like your time was well spent:thumb:

Next time you do this, try going to your local electrical supply store (where the contractors go). Here I can pick up shrink-tubing in 3' lengths in various colors, ranging from 1/4" to 3/4" in diameter.
                        Cheap too, for what a pack of 6 4" pieces costs at "The Shack" you can get a 3-footer.
                        Of course, you will need to remove all the connectors from the plugs to do this (and with the main power to the mobo, it's a whole lot easier to use the tape).

Of course, electrical tape is available in a nice range of colors nowadays too.

Not that I'm knockin' what you have going on now, just something to think about for the next PSU :)
                        The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

Thanks for the input guys. I will be getting a new PSU for the system im building in the next few weeks. That will probably be getting tightly wrapped Blue tape ;)

Comment

the best solution I've seen is the wire loom stuff. Looks kinda like a loose nylon mesh (not the ribbed plastic automotive stuff). A little heat-shrink on both ends and you're ready to go. Extremely flexible, no mess, very sleek. Also very cheap from what I've been told. Once you see a case done up right with it everything else looks, well, gettho ;)

I've been trying to find some of it locally, but I havn't had much luck; I'm probably just lookin' in all the wrong places...

Comment

I use to use electrical tape too, just changed to proper cable sleeving. When I removed all the electrical tape it was very sticky.
                              If you have the time I reckon cable sleeving looks alot better and is more flexible. Thats my :2cents:

Comment

Working...
                              X