MacBook Air Rev. C Hangs on Wake from Sleep w/ 128GB RunCore

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MacBook Air Rev. C Hangs on Wake from Sleep w/ 128GB RunCore

I just upgraded from a 64GB Runcore to a 128GB Runcore, and have started seeing a problem in which the computer would hang (spinning beachball) after waking from sleep. In fact, I did the upgrade yesterday, and saw the freeze when waking from sleep about five times already (seemingly on the third or fourth sleep).

I did not see this with the 64GB. The 128GB has the latest firmware (1916) and I'm running 10.6.3.

Similar issues here:

My MBA Rev.C Runcore SSD keeps freezing after wake up from sleep...... - Mac Forums

Re: MacBook Air Rev. C Hangs on Wake from Sleep w/ 128GB RunCore

Dear Bleh5
    Can you please provide your PN and SN number?
    In the meantime, you may want to re-install OS to make sure if it is really the SSD problem.

Comment

For the record, reinstalling did not help the problems of waking from sleep.

I sent the PN/SN in an email response.

Comment

Did you pre-format the drive in GUID via the USB cable? If not then you may need to do that and reinstall

But before you do that you may want to try this.

Mac Forums - View Single Post - Update on Runcore SSD

Matt

Comment

I initially used SuperDuper, which I assumed formats the drive in GUID prior to copying the files over.

I will try manually formatting before sending the drive back (as I was instructed to do via email).

Comment

Yes try the manual format. I think it should work fine after that.

Matt

Comment

Actually, I'm not entirely convinced that will work, as I also copied files onto the new disk using Restore from Backup with Time Machine/Time Capsule and the 10.6 disc. That process also formats the drive prior to restoring. I would assume that Apple's software would format in GUID.

Comment

Carbon Copy Cloner and SuperDuper do not pre-format. They clone data from the computer and put it onto the RC SSD. Not sure about Time Machine. Lets hope it works so you don't have to send it back.

Matt

Comment

I tried pre-formatting with GUID and resetting PRAM, and still have the same issue.

Another test that I did: when I inserted the 128GB drive into the external USB case and used it as the startup disk, I did not see the computer hanging (tested for over an hour, opening and closing laptop every five minutes or so). Once I moved the drive to inside the laptop, I got a frozen computer on the fourth wake from sleep.

Comment

I have had this problem for 3 months now since I upgraded my macbook rev B to the 128gb harddrive. It is happening to almost everyone, but there aren't many posts about it. I wrote Runcore Support an email and never heard back from them. It is obviously a problem if you look at the macrumors website as well as this one. We have all reinstalled, reformatted, repaired permissions, etc. I like the drive, but mine freezes from wake nearly every day. This is ridiculous for a 450 dollar drive! I want one that works, or my money back.

Comment

I was afraid it was not just a single faulty drive, and that it is probably a problem with all of the 128 GB drives. Are there any users of MBA Rev. B or C with a fully working 128 GB drive here?

Until I hear further from RunCore, I may ask for a refund instead of an exchange.

Comment

I have the same problem. Sporadicly the computer hangs from sleep. No particular pattern but it happens numerous times a week.

Initially I did a SuperDuper copy to prep the disk. Then I tried a repartitioning and fresh OS install. No change.

I will try reformatting as suggested.

Comment

Are there any users of a MBA with 128GB RunCore that's NOT experiencing the hangs after waking from sleep?

Comment

ha, i bet everyone's does this. They just don't know about this site. you can see "runcore marketing" just vanished from this thread. no one else, from windows or mac has complained about freezing issues. So it is obviously a problem with just this particular drive since it only fits in the air. AWESOME!

Comment

The firmware of 1571 version on my MBA have this problem, too.
                              But when I updated the firmware to 1916, it modified the sleep problem.

So I think you can check the firmware version first.

Comment

Working...
                              X