Help me with boot times - Gigabyte GA-Z170X-GAMING 7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Help me with boot times - Gigabyte GA-Z170X-GAMING 7

I have the same mb with the I7 6700k / Kingston 2 x 8gb mem / Samsung Evo 850 - 250gb ssd / Windows 10 Pro - 64 bits.

When I owned the Samsung 950 pro - 512gb m2 ssd (no problem with booting at all!) it took longer to boot Windows than currently with my Samsung Evo 850 - 250gb achi!

It takes approx 25 seconds to boot up Windows 10, with the M2 it took approx. 30 seconds. (assume Nvme protocal takes a little longer)

I also tried a Intel 750 - 400gb m2 pci-e ssd, but returned same since it would not always be recognised during the initial
    boot up fase.

It seems the Z170x Gaming 7 takes at least 10 seconds to run thru the pre-bios set up another 10 to 15 seconds for Windows 10, changing the settings in the Bios from (Fast / to Ultra does no speed up the process.

Cold boot is sometimes a litlle faster. 19 - 22 seconds.

Also experimented with removing my 3 WD Storage HD's, but little effect.

So concluding a boot up time of 20 to 25 seconds is normal for this configuration.

Comment

Originally posted by polypenko View Post
      I have the same mb with the I7 6700k / Kingston 2 x 8gb mem / Samsung Evo 850 - 250gb ssd / Windows 10 Pro - 64 bits.

When I owned the Samsung 950 pro - 512gb m2 ssd (no problem with booting at all!) it took longer to boot Windows than currently with my Samsung Evo 850 - 250gb achi!

It takes approx 25 seconds to boot up Windows 10, with the M2 it took approx. 30 seconds. (assume Nvme protocal takes a little longer)

I also tried a Intel 750 - 400gb m2 pci-e ssd, but returned same since it would not always be recognised during the initial
      boot up fase.

It seems the Z170x Gaming 7 takes at least 10 seconds to run thru the pre-bios set up another 10 to 15 seconds for Windows 10, changing the settings in the Bios from (Fast / to Ultra does no speed up the process.

Cold boot is sometimes a litlle faster. 19 - 22 seconds.

Also experimented with removing my 3 WD Storage HD's, but little effect.

So concluding a boot up time of 20 to 25 seconds is normal for this configuration.
      Polypenko,

Thanks for your input...it has become my conclusion as well, with 950 pros, the best you can do is about 21-25 seconds with win 10.. I have also bought an 850 Evo 1 TB, did a fresh UEFI win 10 install and got about a second or two below just like your findings, so all in all, I guess this is a limitation of the MB and system and we have to make peace with that. I actually got an MSI MB Z170A Gaming 7, 2 weeks ago and it also gave me a 21-25 seconds boot with 2 x M.2 in Raid 0 or just one 950 Pro alone, nothing else attached to mobo, so i am kind of calling the bluff on the 5 second boots like on this video (which i duplicated to a "t" with an 24 average boot time) GUIDE: How to configure Samsung 950 PRO (NVMe M.2 SSD) in Bootable RAID 0 - YouTube .

Thanks for your input.

Claude

Comment

Originally posted by cac2244 View Post
        AHPD, It looks like your setup is screwed up, unless you run Win7 then you probably need CSM enabled...
        Wanted to give a quick update - My setup was screwed up - Graphics card BIOS (R9 Fury Tri-X) with outdated GOP module - I updated the GOP module myself, and now I can boot with CSM disabled. No tricks, no weird settings, simply works.

Comment

Working...
        X