Help me with boot times - Gigabyte GA-Z170X-GAMING 7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me with boot times - Gigabyte GA-Z170X-GAMING 7

Hello All, i have just built a new PC based on the Gigabyte GA-Z170X-GAMING 7 (spec below)

i am having slow boot times around 30 seconds that bug me more than cause issues, as my old pc this replaced was much quicker, i have done some testing and it seems if i unplug my Western Digital Caviar Black 3TB i get around 20 second boot time, roughly 10 seconds to bios screen then 10 to windows. any ideas? as i have disabled it from any load screens.

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX Satin Black
    Gigabyte GA-Z170X-GAMING 7
    Intel I7 6700K Skylake @ 4.5
    Corsair Vengeance LPX Black 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3200MHz
    GeForce GTX 1070 Founders Edition
    Samsung SM951 256GB M.2 PCI-e NVMe SSD
    Western Digital Caviar Black 3TB
    Corsair RMi Series RM850i ATX Power Supply
    Corsair Hydro Series H110i

Re: Help me with boot times - Gigabyte GA-Z170X-GAMING 7

Which version UEFI you have? Windows (10? 7). What is your HDD partition format (GPT, MBR)?

does your graphics card has UEFI GOP?

Comment

Originally posted by jojoro View Post
      Which version UEFI you have? Windows (10? 7). What is your HDD partition format (GPT, MBR)?

does your graphics card has UEFI GOP?

Hi using windows 10 and both drives are GPT after checking how to do this on google.

the gcard is a 1070 but i don't know what that UEFI GOP is or how to check ?

Comment

Just try settings:
        MIT->Advanced Memory Settings->Memory Boot Mode (Fast Boot ON). This Remove 10 sec delay before BEEP.
        Bios Features->Fast Boot->UltraFastBoot
        Windows 8/10 Features-> Windows 8/10
        CSM SUPPORT-> Disbaled (if you have UEFI GOP on graphics card)

With this settings my system boots up 5 sec to Win10 logon screen (with SSD disk)

Comment

Originally posted by jojoro View Post
          Just try settings:
          MIT->Advanced Memory Settings->Memory Boot Mode (Fast Boot ON). This Remove 10 sec delay before BEEP.
          Bios Features->Fast Boot->UltraFastBoot
          Windows 8/10 Features-> Windows 8/10
          CSM SUPPORT-> Disbaled (if you have UEFI GOP on graphics card)

With this settings my system boots up 5 sec to Win10 logon screen (with SSD disk)
          Hi these are my settings.

i am looking at 11 seconds until bios screen then another 11 second to windows login

Last edited by jimlad; 08-02-2016, 04:27 AM.

Comment

I have same settings as you and everything is working fine.

Try update to F8o BIOS (beta). If nothing changes MB is damaged.

Comment

do you have a link to that bios ?

Comment

found the bios,

i don't think the motherboard is faulty - i get good bench marks in windows, its the just boot is slow for some reason

Comment

Of course GTX1070 has GOP. Here's the cause:

Originally posted by jimlad View Post
                  Samsung SM951 256GB M.2 PCI-e NVMe SSD
                  Load optimized defaults in first place. CSM must be enabled, and storage driver priority must be in Legacy.

If you put storage driver in UEFI mode, you won't see SATA drives.

Gigabyte boards have issues with NVMe SSD's it looks like. Was a nightmare to get my 950 Pro to work.

Comment

Cool will check those settings. What sort of boot time are you getting ? Do you have this same mobo ?

Comment

Originally posted by AHPD View Post
                      Of course GTX1070 has GOP. Here's the cause:

Load optimized defaults in first place. CSM must be enabled, and storage driver priority must be in Legacy.

If you put storage driver in UEFI mode, you won't see SATA drives.

Gigabyte boards have issues with NVMe SSD's it looks like. Was a nightmare to get my 950 Pro to work.

Hi,

i am a little confused as most people have said to CSM should be disabled as well as legacy

Comment

Originally posted by jimlad View Post
                        Hi,

i am a little confused as most people have said to CSM should be disabled as well as legacy
                        Jimlad, whatever this guy tells you about CSM and Legacy is totally false... You need CSM disabled and UEFI (EFI)...and I know you did not listen.

I have almost the exact same specs as you, Gigabyte Z170 Gaming 7, 2 x Samsung M.2 950 pros, GTX 1080, i7 6700K, etc... and the best boot time, from cold boot, meaning pushing the power button to windows ready is 25 seconds... 10 seconds to post, 10 seconds to see windows logo and about 5 seconds when ready to go.

I am on BIOS F8, i have tried F8p, F8i and other previous official versions before that with same results. All my settings are in UEFI, meaning windows install and all drives are in GPT, etc...

I guess most Gigabyte Z170 Gaming 7 boards with a M.2 drive are doomed to stay at 30 seconds boot time. I have tried in Raid 0 config, in standard AHCI config and clean re-installed windows 3-4 times with same results...

Memory Fastboot in BIOS actually did not change much for me.

For sure, in Windows, you need to go to "msconfig" and make sure you have a timeout of 3 seconds (lowest possible value) and not 30 seconds in the "Boot" tab.

See my settings in my video Boot up time and Bios settings: Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming 7 with OS on M.2 Samsung 950 Pro - YouTube (i had a Geforce 980Ti when i did video and now have a GTX 1080, with same outcome)

Good luck and if you find a solution to your Boot time issue, please share!

Claude

Comment

Originally posted by cac2244 View Post
                          Jimlad, whatever this guy tells you about CSM and Legacy is totally false... You need CSM disabled and UEFI (EFI)...and I know you did not listen.

I have almost the exact same specs as you, Gigabyte Z170 Gaming 7, 2 x Samsung M.2 950 pros, GTX 1080, i7 6700K, etc... and the best boot time, from cold boot, meaning pushing the power button to windows ready is 25 seconds... 10 seconds to post, 10 seconds to see windows logo and about 5 seconds when ready to go.

I am on BIOS F8, i have tried F8p, F8i and other previous official versions before that with same results. All my settings are in UEFI, meaning windows install and all drives are in GPT, etc...

I guess most Gigabyte Z170 Gaming 7 boards with a M.2 drive are doomed to stay at 30 seconds boot time. I have tried in Raid 0 config, in standard AHCI config and clean re-installed windows 3-4 times with same results...

Memory Fastboot in BIOS actually did not change much for me.

For sure, in Windows, you need to go to "msconfig" and make sure you have a timeout of 3 seconds (lowest possible value) and not 30 seconds in the "Boot" tab.

See my settings in my video Boot up time and Bios settings: Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming 7 with OS on M.2 Samsung 950 Pro - YouTube (i had a Geforce 980Ti when i did video and now have a GTX 1080, with same outcome)

Good luck and if you find a solution to your Boot time issue, please share!

Claude
                          So are you telling that I don't have the hardware to prove that SATA drives don't get recognized if a NVMe SSD is installed, and Storage Boot Option Control is set to UEFI huh?

You may disable CSM if you got a graphics card with GOP, and if you got only SATA drives, you can safely disable CSM. NVMe drives, Gigabyte screwed up on this one.

I recommend to keep CSM enabled anyway. You must be really paranoid with boot times.

I will benchmark my boot times from S5 state (cold boot) and see how long it takes.

EDIT:

How long it takes until desktop is delivered:

30s cold boot (hit power button)
                          20s reboot (once screen goes blank)

I don't have S4 state active (Hybrid Sleep), as Wake-On-LAN is not supported in this state.

If I had that enabled, probably would halve these times.
                          Last edited by AHPD; 09-28-2016, 03:19 PM.

Comment

I got the other way around, and it's even worse.

My NVMe drive (Samsung 950 Pro 512GB) is not recognized if Storage Boot Option Control is set to UEFI.

Disabled or Legacy only mode, gets recognized just fine.

I have the SATA drives, I don't have my boot drive.

My recommendation to keep CSM enabled still stands.

I can make a video of that if you want.

Comment

Originally posted by AHPD View Post
                              I got the other way around, and it's even worse.

My NVMe drive (Samsung 950 Pro 512GB) is not recognized if Storage Boot Option Control is set to UEFI.

Disabled or Legacy only mode, gets recognized just fine.

I have the SATA drives, I don't have my boot drive.

My recommendation to keep CSM enabled still stands.

I can make a video of that if you want.

AHPD, It looks like your setup is screwed up, unless you run Win7 then you probably need CSM enabled...Anyway, the idea is NOT to prove you wrong, but to help Jimlad, and his issue is slow boot time with his M.2 drive on Win 10 and GTX 1070, all of which are maximized at CSM disabled (which causes Legacy option to disappear). And YES, when CSM is disabled, you still see your Sata drives...I have two of them, trust me, they work just fine as data drives. I even tried it myself to put your settings in my BIOS at CSM enabled and Legacy on, and my win10 on my Samsung 950 512GB and GTX 1080, booted up from power button to windows in 27 seconds...I get 25 seconds on CSM disabled. Let's focus on helping Jimlad...not to prove each other wrong because let me tell you, with Gigabyte and the stupid Nvme M.2 drives anything and everything is possible as they do not have their act together. Just to prove a point, I was raiding 0 my 2 Samsung 950 pro's with bootable windows 10 on it and got it to work, but had to fight because stupid latest version of Bios F8 for the GA Z170 Gaming 7 Mobo has Intel Rapid Storage technology ver 14.5, where full M.2 Nvme support comes after version 14.6. Latest Intel RST is now at 14.8, so go figure... Peace and let's turn our focus on Jimlad.

Comment

Working...
                              X