Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gigabyte won't fix my card. Anyone got any ideas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gigabyte won't fix my card. Anyone got any ideas?

In 2014 I bought two Gigabyte 970's. Everything worked great initially however every time I ran a benchmark that taxed them, I'd get a black screen and have to restart my computer. At the time I was in between games and really only played LoL which obviously didn't tax the cards at all. After a while I started playing more demanding games and sure enough, whenever the cards were taxed I'd have a perfect view of 4 black screens.

After hours of trying to figure out what was going on, I narrowed it down to one of the Gigabyte 970's. All benchmarks would run perfect with the good card in but if you take the good one out and put the bad one in, it'd give you a black screen within 2 minutes of putting load on it.

It's pretty obvious to me that the Gigabyte 970 was defective, so I wrapped it up and sent it in for an RMA. I gave a detailed description that it only crapped out while under load.

Unfortunately after waiting a month, my RMA was updated with this:

So I've now received the card back, put it in, and the card is still exhibiting the exact same issues (aka it didn't magically just fix itself).

I can actually get the card to run stably if I use MSI Afterburner to set the power limit to 60%.

I've also put the card into a different computer and it exhibited the exact same symptoms.

Here is a video of what is happening:

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

At this point I've tried to contact gigabyte regarding them sending me back a broken card and haven't heard back at all even thought it's been weeks.

I've been a Gigabyte fanboi for a long time. Most of my computer components are Gigabyte in fact. It kills me that at this point, I'm going to have to switch to a different brand for better support.

Does anyone have any ideas on where I should go from here? I already plan on upgrading to a 1070 or 1080 but I'd like to sell this card...

Re: Gigabyte won't fix my card. Anyone got any ideas?

I'm right there with you brother. Having the same issue with my Gigabyte R9 380.
    I haven't sent it to GB yet as I'm hoping I can get some help in my thread I posted
    today. I've searched all over different forums and seems no one wants to touch this issue!
    I'm hoping it doesn't come to sending to GB. I'd rather stay GB than go with another company.
    Wish you all the luck friend

Comment

Do you think it could be related to the multi monitor setup you have, or possibly driver and multi monitor issues , there has been problems with black screens with multi monitors and the last few sets of drivers from nvidia

Have you tried testing with just one monitor ? Use DDU to clean out drivers in windows safe mode then reinstall the latest and test again with just one monitor , if after this the problem/fault is still there then it's more than likely is the card and i would be back in contact with gigabyte support and give them a detailed account of what you have done to come to the conclusion that the card is indeed at fault , if at this point you are refused a RMA i then would insist on speaking to someone a bit high up the chain of command.

link for DDU http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/...-download.html

Comment

Originally posted by jason-uk View Post
        Do you think it could be related to the multi monitor setup you have, or possibly driver and multi monitor issues , there has been problems with black screens with multi monitors and the last few sets of drivers from nvidia

Have you tried testing with just one monitor ? Use DDU to clean out drivers in windows safe mode then reinstall the latest and test again with just one monitor , if after this the problem/fault is still there then it's more than likely is the card and i would be back in contact with gigabyte support and give them a detailed account of what you have done to come to the conclusion that the card is indeed at fault , if at this point you are refused a RMA i then would insist on speaking to someone a bit high up the chain of command.

link for DDU http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/...-download.html
        I tried the card with just a single monitor. I've completely reformatted my computer. Keep in mind that I have an identical 970 that works in my system.

Just an update to this thread. They actually sent me a prepaid shipping label and so I sent it back. They "repaired" the card and sent it back. Now the card will not display anything... not even a POST. You can hear windows start up and load in but the graphics card simply is just dead. My other 970 is working exactly like it should still.

I received this dead card back 10 days ago and immediately contacted them. I have yet to receive any correspondence at all from them. Not even a canned message.

As of right now I've been without this graphics card for 3 months.

On the plus side, my 1070 shipped!

Comment

I've had the same thing with a MB. I won't buy another Gigabyte board.

Good Luck

Vin
          Main Rig
          OS = Win10-64Bit
          CPU = Ryzen 1700x Overclocked to 4Ghz with custom water-cooling loop
          Mem = 16GB RAM @ 3200Mhz
          MB = Asus ROG C6H
          GPU = Asus 1080Ti ROG Strix
          HD = 512GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
          PSU = EVGA SuperNOVA 1300w
          Case = Cooler Master HAF-X 945

HTPC / Home Server
          OS = Win7 64Bit running XBMC HTPC Front end with Windows Server 2012 Virtual Machine with 12GB ram assigned for homer server
          CPU = i7-980X @ 3.5Ghz CoolerMasster Hyper 212 Evo
          Mem = 24GB RAM
          MB = Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5 v1.0 with F6 Bios
          GPU = EVGA nVidia GT210
          HD = 2x PNY 120GB Raid 0 (OS)
          Storage = 8TB WD Black Storage
          PSU = Corsair TX750
          Case = Define R5

Comment

Working...
          X