X58 Tips for Windows 10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X58 Tips for Windows 10

Hi, I have been messing with windows 10 on my gigabyte motherboard GA-X58A-UD3R, and think I would share some useful info i have gotten.

I updated from Windows 7 to 10, I then did a Clean install of windows 10 reformatted etc once the activation has taken place.

As I installed Windows 10 I pree installed the Intel rst drives version 12.9.0.1001. Drivers above that was causing problems. Raid array would fail, even with the default windows Intel driver 13.x this was the only pree install drivers i did.

Once the system was installed i got drivers from gigabyte just had too look else were for the right drivers. I check motherboards by Chipset and picked the Z79 sniper all I got was the Intel Chipset and Marvell drivers for windows 10 as for motherboard i have they only listing for windows 7.

After I rebooted i notice the safe removal icon in the try showing my HDD-SDD etc to sort this you will need to edit the windows 10 reg.

To sort the marvel driver go to regedit and then search for HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Class\4d36e97b-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318
    When you find this your have some folders for that reg key look for the one with Marvell all over it for me it was 003 then make a new string value and name that DriverPolicySet and set the value as 1, then make 1 more new multi string vaule and name that IncludeInfs and enter machine.ini
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Marvell 1.PNG
Views:	1
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	756381

Also if you did the same as me and did not install drivers for the Jmicro/Gigabyte SATA then any devices connect will show in safe removal icon you need to run regedit and look for HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\storahci\Parameters\Device and then make a new multi string value and name it TreatAsInternalPort then enter 0,1,2,3,4,5

hope this helps
    Last edited by TrebleTA; 10-01-2015, 08:34 AM. Reason: Added picture

Re: X58 Tips for Windows 10

There is also 1 more reg key for the marvell driver to get the policies config back in the device manager that I have found on the net.
    Open regedit, Go to the key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Class\4d36e97b-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318
    Then add a new string value with name EnumPropPages32 and Value enter mv91xxm.dll,ESATAPortPropPageProvider
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Marvell 2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	108.5 KB
ID:	755030

Comment

I've found another problem with windows 10 defrag, and marvell controler using SSD's trim. The problem is.

If I dont install the the marvell controler drivers and keep the default, standard sata controler. I can use the windows 10 defrag. If I install the marvell drivers, windows 10 trim is active but I cant use the defrag i get error The operation requested is not supported by the hardware backing the volume. (0x8900002A)
      This seems to be a old problem yet not solved and was wondering if anyone had any help for this.
      Thanks inadvance

Comment

Does this apply to the boot order for a SSD to be recognized on SATA III port 6 as first boot? then all the other drives?
        INTEL i7-920 2.66GHZ 8M LGA 1366
        GIGABYTE X58A-UD3R Rev 1
        ASETEK 120MM WATERCOOLER
        6GB KINSTON HYPER X DDR3
        BLACK AZZA SOLANO 1000 FULL TOWER
        Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD
        2TB SATA III 3.0 GB 7200RPM HD
        BLACK LITE-ON 24X DVDRW
        SEASONIC X750 Gold PSU
        ONBOARD 7.1 SOUND
        ATI RADEON 5750 1GB DDR3
        WINDOWS 10 64Bit 10240

Comment

Originally posted by BinaryBummer View Post
          Does this apply to the boot order for a SSD to be recognized on SATA III port 6 as first boot? then all the other drives?
          this is really just for the marvell sata3 controler.
          yes after I added the machine.ini in to the regedit.
          If I now go to devices and printers, the SSD is now under the system not a different drive.
          Last edited by TrebleTA; 10-15-2015, 05:04 AM.

Comment

I have a working computer with windows 10 (on an SSD) on an Asrock Z77 Pro4m.
            I am building a new pc with the Asrock x99m Killer/3.1.
            What do I have to do to keep windows 10 working on the new pc with the old SSD?
            Steve

Comment

Working...
            X