Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: X99-UD3 can't get into bios set up

Originally posted by Chike View Post
    In fast boot you have the option "Enter BIOS Setup now", try that.
    I've tried that too... Also, I finally got Gigabyte support to answer my question on the mother board here is what they wrote me below:

Dear Customer,
    Please use the following method to update Bios on the motherboard:
    1. Perform a quick format to an USB flash drive using FAT32 file system.
    2. Download the Bios file:
    http://download.gigabyte.us/FileList...x99-ud3_f6.zip
    3. Simply run the Bios file and extract the files into the USB flash drive.

4. Open the flash drive, there should be 3 files, please rename the X99UD3.F6 file to GIGABYTE.bin
    5. Now shut off the machine.
    6. Connect the USB flash drive into the white USB port from the back panel.
    7. Disconnect the CPU power from the motherboard (ATX12V 8-PIN).
    8. Power on the machine and there should be a blinking LED light next to the white USB port, indicating Bios update in process.
    9. You may turn off the machine when the LED light stopped blinking.
    10. Finally hook up the CPU power back to the PC.
    Thank you.

I did exactly as they suggested above... and still cannot enter bios setup! unbelieveable!!!... The motherboard is working beautiful, gets me into windows just fine and seems to be working ok... just can't get into bios setup..And I would love to get into to check the configuration.... frustrating!!..

Comment

What happens when you try with fast boot?

I imagine they didn't bother to ask you what BIOS version you have?
      Try to disconnect everything other than keyboard and VGA card, maybe just one memory module, if this doesn't work you may need to RMA it.

Comment

What happens when you try with fast boot?

I imagine they didn't bother to ask you what BIOS version you have?
        Try to disconnect everything other than keyboard and VGA card, maybe just one memory module, if this doesn't work you may need to RMA it.
        When I get the chance, I'll try what you suggest.. Thanks for all the help it's appreciated! :-)

Comment

When you updated the bios, did it ask you after startup whether you wanted to A), go into the bios setup or B), choose optimized defaults(factory defaults). Perchance, do you see the gigabyte boot logo at all when you start up the computer. Clearing the cmos will also cause the pc to ask you whether you want to go into the bios or choose optimized defaults. Is that the case with your computer.
          If you want to try this, do so with the serial keyboards you have. CMOS reset by switching off the PSU, unplug from power and removing the Motherboard's Battery for 2 minutes then replacing it. Or even bridge or short the clr cmos pins on the board. I'm not sure if the x99 has buttons like the z97x boards do for this type of scenario.

Ultra fast boot can cause this type of issue but since you have it disabled, I guess you can rule that out. I assume it doesn't allow you to choose f12 menu either.
          If you do get into the bios, do check if the standard bios and classic bios have similar settings as per your preference. There could sometimes be some discrepancy.

If you are comfortable with testing components, you could find another video card and try it with the motherboard. It could be the bios is having some difficulty with displaying/communicating with the graphics card for some odd reason, or even setting within the bios (HD display or standard or classic ???)
          Last edited by TicTacToe; 05-05-2015, 05:35 AM.
          i7 8700k - z370 Asus Rog maximus 10 hero(wifi) (soho)
          G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB
          Corsair PSU, 1
          080Ti EVGA
          960 Samsung Evo , 2 WD Black Storage.
          Builds - Z97x-Gaming 7(media center) . Gigabyte x399 - Gaming 7 Threadripper 1950x (workstation)

Comment

Originally posted by TicTacToe View Post
            When you updated the bios, did it ask you after startup whether you wanted to A), go into the bios setup or B), choose optimized defaults(factory defaults). Perchance, do you see the gigabyte boot logo at all when you start up the computer. Clearing the cmos will also cause the pc to ask you whether you want to go into the bios or choose optimized defaults. Is that the case with your computer.
            If you want to try this, do so with the serial keyboards you have. CMOS reset by switching off the PSU, unplug from power and removing the Motherboard's Battery for 2 minutes then replacing it. Or even bridge or short the clr cmos pins on the board. I'm not sure if the x99 has buttons like the z97x boards do for this type of scenario.

Ultra fast boot can cause this type of issue but since you have it disabled, I guess you can rule that out. I assume it doesn't allow you to choose f12 menu either.
            If you do get into the bios, do check if the standard bios and classic bios have similar settings as per your preference. There could sometimes be some discrepancy.

If you are comfortable with testing components, you could find another video card and try it with the motherboard. It could be the bios is having some difficulty with displaying/communicating with the graphics card for some odd reason, or even setting within the bios (HD display or standard or classic ???)
            No it didn't offer me any of those options A or B. However I do remember seeing the Gigabyte boot logo when I did boot up the computer... You know the odd thing is that I can enter the f12 & f9 menu options... but I just can't get into bios set up.. always end up with a blinking curser for a second in the upper left hand side, then it goes blank, black... I let it stay like that for a few minutes then give up and reboot computer...This is frustrating... !!!! BTW.. this is what Gigabyte Support is suggesting I try now:

Dear Customer,

Is it possible to test with another PC monitor to rule out the possibility?

Thank you.

When I get the chance, I do have another monitor in the basement with a serial port.. (if it still works) I'll give that a shot before I decide whether to remove the battery from the motherboard... And no, I don't have any other video cards on hand to try.. Thanks for all the Help!!! It's appreciated!

Comment

I think they are stalling LOL

Comment

I think they are stalling LOL
                We'll find out shortly! LOL

Comment

Stalling? Maybe.

The problem could be caused by a faulty monitor and/or monitor cable.
                  Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
                  P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
                  4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
                  MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
                  Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
                  WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
                  Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
                  SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
                  Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
                  Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
                  Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
                  MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
                  Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
                  win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
                  HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
                  CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
                  E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
                  Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
                  Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
                  HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
                  win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Comment

He has the LOGO and can enter boot menu.
                    If the problem was monitor he would be stuck after flashing BIOS/clearing CMOS when BIOS is waiting for input.

Comment

Thanks Chike, I confused his problem with another thread.

Yep, I'll go along with stalling.
                      E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
                      Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
                      Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
                      HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers

Comment

Originally posted by profJim View Post
                        Stalling? Maybe.

The problem could be caused by a faulty monitor and/or monitor cable.
                        Might possibly be..I was using a DVI cable and switched over to a HDMI... same results.. next try is a crt monitor with a VGA port.. see if that works! ;-) Oops!... I can't do it.. video card doesn't have a vga port... oh well!
                        Last edited by joeCS; 05-05-2015, 08:02 PM.

Comment

I wonder if the GEN setting of your video card or your specific video card has anything to do with the problem.
                          Can you borrow an older, lower end video card to test with?

Comment

Originally posted by profJim View Post
                            I wonder if the GEN setting of your video card or your specific video card has anything to do with the problem.
                            Can you borrow an older, lower end video card to test with?
                            I wished I could... however I don't have another older video card... I'll have to ask around and see if anyone has one...In the meantime.. I'm thinking of clearing the CMOS.. as a last resort!

Comment

I believe the issue is with the bios firmware unable to communicate properly with some device. However windows is able to load the appropriate drivers after UEFI boot. It might be because of the A9 code, this is why the customer support is asking you to check the cables/monitor. From what I've read, you can trying disconnecting your sata drives and see if it will let you enter the bios. If it does, reconnect them afterwards and see if it will allow you to do so again.

It's a bios firmware issue IMO, so approach the CMOS reset option with that in mind. It will help in case clearing the CMOS makes it a bit more tricky to enter windows too. In which case, you may think of switching to the backup bios or something similar to troubleshoot.
                              i7 8700k - z370 Asus Rog maximus 10 hero(wifi) (soho)
                              G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB
                              Corsair PSU, 1
                              080Ti EVGA
                              960 Samsung Evo , 2 WD Black Storage.
                              Builds - Z97x-Gaming 7(media center) . Gigabyte x399 - Gaming 7 Threadripper 1950x (workstation)

Comment

Originally posted by TicTacToe View Post
                                I believe the issue is with the bios firmware unable to communicate properly with some device. However windows is able to load the appropriate drivers after UEFI boot. It might be because of the A9 code, this is why the customer support is asking you to check the cables/monitor. From what I've read, you can trying disconnecting your sata drives and see if it will let you enter the bios. If it does, reconnect them afterwards and see if it will allow you to do so again.

It's a bios firmware issue IMO, so approach the CMOS reset option with that in mind. It will help in case clearing the CMOS makes it a bit more tricky to enter windows too. In which case, you may think of switching to the backup bios or something similar to troubleshoot.
                                Thanks for your insightful input... When I get more free time to play around with the computer Ill disconnect the hard drives and see if that does the trick...

Comment

Working...
                                X