Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA-EX58-UD4P overclocking a Xeon X5670 Help

Guys,
    I've been running a i920 @ 3.8GHz & 12GB of 1600 RAM for years and recently purchased a Xeon X5670 that will hopefully hold me over for another year or so. Problem is that at stock the X5670 is slower than the i920 @ 3.8GHz was so I'd like to OC it. Not sure how to go about this with the Xeon processor. Gigabyte's ET6 no longer has the "Quickboost" functionality and when I mess with the settings manually it's failing to boot. The board is running BIOS version F14p but I noticed that there's an F14q on this website. Do I need to flash to that version first? Not even sure if I can since I don't have a 1.44FD in this build. Appreciate the help!

Update: Last night even just tried upping the voltages without overclocking and the board would fail to POST. This morning, without changing anything else (voltages stock) I was able to get base clock up to 140x24. At 150 it would not POST. Have no idea why I could OC the 920 up to 4.0GHz (3.8GHz was daily driver), but this Xeon is not wanting to budge.

ps: Does anyone know of an OC suite for a bootable USB drive exists? I would be nice if I could play with these OC settings without having to worry that I'm going to corrupt my daily driver OS. I was thinking something in terms of a bare OS with overclocking tools and a few benchmark programs.
    Last edited by Wayno-san; 12-14-2014, 11:03 AM. Reason: terminology correction and update

Re: GA-EX58-UD4P overclocking a Xeon X5670 Help

I flashed the F14q BIOS (forgot that you can use a USB stick) from this site but no joy. Any time I try increasing BCLK over 150 it fails to POST no matter what voltages I use. It continues to run fine at stock but it fails to POST if I do a warm reset (or ALT-CTRL-DEL). I think the two are somehow related.

I saw someone mention that it is possible to flash this motherboard with the GA-EX58-EXTREME BIOS... anyone know how?

Comment

I can't comment on the Bios, but that CPU isn't on the CPU support list if it's a rev 1.0 board. I'm surprised it booted.

something else is what RAM are you using? Xeon's usually require ECC memory and some don't like their memory going beyond their spec.

maybe change your memory multi so it's lower to keep it in the 1333mhz area or less?

its a server CPU, they can be odd in some boards. Tune down the QPI and Uncore to rule those out of the issue

Vin
      Main Rig
      OS = Win10-64Bit
      CPU = Ryzen 1700x Overclocked to 4Ghz with custom water-cooling loop
      Mem = 16GB RAM @ 3200Mhz
      MB = Asus ROG C6H
      GPU = Asus 1080Ti ROG Strix
      HD = 512GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
      PSU = EVGA SuperNOVA 1300w
      Case = Cooler Master HAF-X 945

HTPC / Home Server
      OS = Win7 64Bit running XBMC HTPC Front end with Windows Server 2012 Virtual Machine with 12GB ram assigned for homer server
      CPU = i7-980X @ 3.5Ghz CoolerMasster Hyper 212 Evo
      Mem = 24GB RAM
      MB = Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5 v1.0 with F6 Bios
      GPU = EVGA nVidia GT210
      HD = 2x PNY 120GB Raid 0 (OS)
      Storage = 8TB WD Black Storage
      PSU = Corsair TX750
      Case = Define R5

Comment

any more luck here? I have a ud4p and an x5650. Was hoping to try it this week. Looking to OC it past 4ghz but it seems that there may be a hardware limitation with these boards and westmere xeons.

Comment

Originally posted by bacon612 View Post
          any more luck here? I have a ud4p and an x5650. Was hoping to try it this week. Looking to OC it past 4ghz but it seems that there may be a hardware limitation with these boards and westmere xeons.
          No, and I couldn't figure out a way around it. Just won't go past 150BCLK. Let me know if you ever figure it out but I gave up. Took the x5670 to my cousin's and we OCed it to 4.4GHz stable on first attempt in his Asus P6T Deluxe. So bummed (and jealous). I ended up blowing a wad on a 4790k/mobo/memory instead. That was painful for my wallet.

Comment

That is crushing news.

I got a 55 inch 4k tv and was about to order r290s and water blocks and was hoping to get my 5650 going at 4.4ghz plus so i could melt my brain with some 4k gaming.

I cant decide whether to get a 980 or 990x now instead and proceed with plan A. My ud4p has a full water block kit with mofset blocks and all. I thought this was a sure thing. Ive read in a few other threads that the ud4p is a no go but people are having success with the ud5. Really wish I spent the extra $50 on a better board years ago. On the plus, I am glad that I didn't spend hours taking my water loop apart and then rebuilding it only to find that this xeon didn't work. I would have lost my mind. So thank you for sharing your frustrations.

Comment

Trust me, I feel your pain. Wish I would have dumped a few more $$ into another board too but who knew at the time. Other Gigabyte boards like the one you mentioned and the 3R seem to work fine. Maybe it's just a BIOS thing but i tried the modified, the F14p, and F14q and no joy. It did work at stock settings aside from the fact that warm-boots resulted in a hang. I checked ebay and these x58 boards are selling for ludicrous amounts of money. Decided not to dump more money into the old tech.

Comment

Working...
              X