Gigabyte Z97x-SOC - i7 4790k

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Gigabyte Z97x-SOC - i7 4790k

I feel your pain, man. I'm on a custom waterxooles loop. That's the sole reason I've been stubborn and trying to troubleshoot the issue.

Now its an even bigger headache! Honestly, this issue is so widespread its astonishing that Gigabyte seem ti be burying their head in the sand.

Comment

Originally posted by FPSNige View Post
      I feel your pain, man. I'm on a custom waterxooles loop. That's the sole reason I've been stubborn and trying to troubleshoot the issue.

Now its an even bigger headache! Honestly, this issue is so widespread its astonishing that Gigabyte seem ti be burying their head in the sand.

"I've tried different ram, graphics cards, hard driver configurations, beta, alpha and official BIOS revisions".
      Please check on the Latest Beta BIOS thread to see if it fixes your problems
      I see you have F6 and I think the latest is F7b. Disregard this post if your tried it already.
      Keep submitting tickets to Gigabyte.
      Post in "Latest beta bios" thread next time (if not already done). Stasio forwards some comments to Gigabyte R&D.
      Last edited by Teddybehr; 07-23-2015, 03:47 PM. Reason: typo
      Board: GA-Z77X-UD3H Rev 1.0 BIOS: 20e modded CPU: Intel i5-3570k Memory: Samsung MV-3V4G3D/US 4X4GB @1866Mhz 9-9-9-24 1T
      GPU: EVGA GTX 980 FTW SSD: Samsung 950 Pro NVMe M.2 256 GB (Addonics 4x card interface) , Intel 730 240 GB, Samsung EVO 840 240 GB X2,
      16 TB iSCSI 2XRAID0 2XRAID1 (Hitachi HDD, LUN) QNAP TS-469L PSU: Seasonic X-1250 KB:Log. G110 Mouse: Log. G502
      OSes: Win 8.1 x64 UEFI/Win 7 x64 UEFI Dual Boot VM: K Linux, OSX Leopard, Win 10, Win XP, HP Integrity (rem), Whonix Other: HP Proliant server
      Other interface: Pangolin QM2000.NET Lasers controller

Comment

Yup, currently on F7B. Still the system will lock up on first boot > boot detection failure detected > enter BIOS > F10 - Alls good till the system is off for >1hour.

Comment

Yup, currently on F7B. Still the system will lock up on first boot > boot detection failure detected > enter BIOS > F10 - Alls good till the system is off for >1hour.
          I was pretty sure you did but keep posting and checking the "Latest beta BIOS" thread.
          Stasio forwards to Gigabyte R&D some comments.
          You use the latest drivers and fixes too?
          regards
          Last edited by Teddybehr; 07-23-2015, 04:00 PM.
          Board: GA-Z77X-UD3H Rev 1.0 BIOS: 20e modded CPU: Intel i5-3570k Memory: Samsung MV-3V4G3D/US 4X4GB @1866Mhz 9-9-9-24 1T
          GPU: EVGA GTX 980 FTW SSD: Samsung 950 Pro NVMe M.2 256 GB (Addonics 4x card interface) , Intel 730 240 GB, Samsung EVO 840 240 GB X2,
          16 TB iSCSI 2XRAID0 2XRAID1 (Hitachi HDD, LUN) QNAP TS-469L PSU: Seasonic X-1250 KB:Log. G110 Mouse: Log. G502
          OSes: Win 8.1 x64 UEFI/Win 7 x64 UEFI Dual Boot VM: K Linux, OSX Leopard, Win 10, Win XP, HP Integrity (rem), Whonix Other: HP Proliant server

Comment

Yes, mate. I, like all good boys, never use the drivers supplied on the CD and head straight to the drivers & support page for the latest drivers.

Ive re-opened my ticket with Gigabyte. Perhaps something will come of it. I did try toubleshooting with Stasio to begin with, and he was a star, but eventually he pointed me to Gigabyte Support.

A quick search shows its not isolated:

Z97X SOC Rev 1 (not force) cold boot issues

My thread: http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte...t-failure.html

Z97x-soc problems

cold boot problem with Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SOC

Thanks for the pointers. If you have anything else Id be glad to hear it, incase Ive overlooked anything.

Comment

Yes, mate. I, like all good boys, never use the drivers supplied on the CD and head straight to the drivers & support page for the latest drivers.

Ive re-opened my ticket with Gigabyte. Perhaps something will come of it. I did try toubleshooting with Stasio to begin with, and he was a star, but eventually he pointed me to Gigabyte Support.

A quick search shows its not isolated:

Z97X SOC Rev 1 (not force) cold boot issues

My thread: http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte...t-failure.html

Z97x-soc problems

cold boot problem with Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SOC

Thanks for the pointers. If you have anything else Id be glad to hear it, incase Ive overlooked anything.
              I am sure you did pretty much everything possible and try all potential solutions that exist so far.
              (I don't know what the hot hotfix is about on the Gigabyte drivers site although is seems to ensure proper MEI functioning)
              GIGABYTE - Motherboard - Socket 1150 - GA-Z97X-SOC Force (rev. 1.0)

This is why I always wait couple of months before buying the new hardware (nhaaaa, kidding, I'm even buying in pre-order and end up having problems too )
              If and when I see a proven potential solution I will do a follow up with you.
              Last edited by Teddybehr; 07-23-2015, 04:26 PM.

Comment

You can try to reset bios and reboot, go into bios and make sure XMP is off, I have been running my 2600 mhz memory at 1333 mhz (clock when xmp is off)~ It seems like it has being nearly a day without crash. Though it's still unacceptable that I cannot use my memory on those speeds. But guess, it will do for a little while ~ Hope it solves the problem.... Might be luck though lol
                Last edited by Laurens Dragicevic; 07-23-2015, 04:40 PM.

Comment

I replies to the other thread as well.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I ended up hitting the hay, so just got a working day to get through and I'll apply the hotfix and try with XMP disabled.

Comment

I replies to the other thread as well.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I ended up hitting the hay, so just got a working day to get through and I'll apply the hotfix and try with XMP disabled.
                    Any news? :P?

Comment

Initially disabling XMP did nothing. Then tech support asked me to flash back to F6, which I did Early Friday morning.

With XMP still disabled its been booting absolutely fine! I have noW re-enabled XMP and will see what happens at next cold boot.

Thanks for asking!

EDIT:

OK, shutdown to bath. Came back to do the first boot after the PC had been off for a wee while and with XMP enabled. The system crashed! So your right, XMP does seem to to be the culprit!

The board has my vcore @ 1.26 which is already high for a 4790k - I can actually step the vcore down to 1.8 and complete Prime, XTU & IBT small FFT's without issue and shaving alot of heat off! So @ 1.26 I very much doubt the memory controller on the chip is being starved of volts!
                      Last edited by FPSNige; 07-25-2015, 10:59 AM.

Comment

The VCore for my i3 4160 was 1.152 I can assume this is also pretty high, changed this to 1.075/1.080 and the result is a much cooler CPU :)

I cannot seem to change the Memory Voltage manually, I can enable XMS and it will change to 1.65, but I would have liked to play with it. I doubt changing the CPU VCore will change the problem with the memory ~

I'm not really an overclocker so I do not know much terms regarding it. Do you have an idea what vrin is? It's voltage is 1.756, which might be a little high too?

Glad you are closer in solving the problem :) Hopefully it will be fixed soon, but the damn gigabyte does not awnser *CRY*, well has not being long though :P

Comment

With VCore on stock & XMP on, it will crash a few times a day. With VCore on stock and XMP off, it will not crash.

Lowering VCore might do the trick, I'm not fully sure about this yet, but I think I'm now at least 10 hours without crash with XMP turned on. The high voltage might cause problems with the memory controller. Though I'm not sure what the default vcore is for this processor. I got the suspicion that the voltage is by default to high with this mainboard. The temperature was pretty high also on idle, and after changing the voltage lower, it came down by a lot ~ (this is normal though, but I can imagine that the temps was not normal, so might be a voltage offset problem with the mobo)
                          Last edited by Laurens Dragicevic; 07-26-2015, 11:26 AM.

Comment

For reference I asked someone what the default voltage was for my CPU (vcore, i3 4160) and they said: 1.1365v

So on my Gigabyte it's indeed a bit higher (1.152), but I wonder if that is enough to cause problems. I undervolted this to 1.075/1.080 and the system seems stable now, the whole day no crashes with XMP on.

Cheers!

Comment

Working...
                            X