Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gigabyte Z77-D3H - Raid 0 with Trim

Hi,

I have a Gigabyte Z77-D3H based system, running Windows 7 Ultimate x64. I also have a couple of 120GB Samsung 840 Evo SSD's which I currently use to store data, but would now like to make into a 240GB Raid 0 array, to be used as the Windows boot disk.

I've read online that the Z77 chipset now supports TRIM on Raid 0. I will update the BIOS to the latest Gigabyte version before I create the RAID array.

Is there anything else I need to do to make sure TRIM functions correctly on the new array? Someone on another forum suggested I may need a modded bios?

Thanks in advance.

Gareth

Re: Gigabyte Z77-D3H - Raid 0 with Trim

parsec should see your post and jump in with a correct answer but I believe all you need for RAID0 TRIM support in Win7 is IIRC 12.9(10.9 11.9?). Or the latest release anyways. I'm an AMD guy so pardon me where I placed those version numbers of RST. It'd something I don't keep track of here for lack of use.

hehe, wait for parsec or another user to reply. I know there's a recent ver that does support RAID0 TRIM I just can't remember the version.
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

All you need to do is create the Raid 0 array in the bios,i recommend 64KB stripe for Samsung SSD then once you have installed Windows download the latest RST driver from intel 12.9.0.1001 and install it,if your using Windows 7 TRIM will be enabled by default,there are some command prompts to check this too lengthy to explain but if you google it you will find it. Note Samsung Magician software does not function with Raid Arrays and does not recognise your drives as being Samsung...

Comment

Once you have it all set up, there is a utility called trimcheck (available in 3rd sticky from top) that does a real check on whether TRIM is functioning or not.
        Maximus 8 Hero/6700K @ 4.8/4x4GB LPX @ 3200 15-17-17-36 CR1
        Case Labs SM8 w/dual pedestals / Custom water w/ acrylic pipe / Light box
        PowerColor 390Xw/EK block / Samsung 840 Pro 256GBx2 RAID 0 / 128GBx1 SSD's | 3 HDD's / DVD burner
        Dual Aquaero 5 Pro controllers for pumps & fans / FC9 for led's only 2xD5 pwm w/Bitspower tops - MCP35x2 - 3x480 rads/1x240 rad/AP15 fans / EK supremcy
        Seasonic Platinum 1000w custom fabbed/sleeved psu wiring by me

Wifes: Z77X-UD5H / 3770K w/c with Raystorm copper block & 2 Rads/ Kingston HyperX RAM / Switch 810 case/ PowerColor AX7950 w/EK block
        HTPC: Z68 Pro3 M / 2105

SOLD:Z97X-UD5H /4790K/F11b mod BIOS/[email protected] 4x4GB Kingston Genesis KHX24C11X3K4 2400 RAM 11-13-13-30
        SOLD:Z87X-UD5H /4770K

Comment

scracy and boondocks, thanks.
          #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
          ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

I remember reading that Samsung didn't recommend using Evo's in a raid. I'm sure it was for better Pro sales, but I remember reading that the Evo's were not optimized to be run in a raid. Like if you use a WD Red or Blue drive in a raid you may encounter HDD errors... Also note that Rapid mode will not be available when configured in a RAID.

Vin
            Main Rig
            OS = Win10-64Bit
            CPU = Ryzen 1700x Overclocked to 4Ghz with custom water-cooling loop
            Mem = 16GB RAM @ 3200Mhz
            MB = Asus ROG C6H
            GPU = Asus 1080Ti ROG Strix
            HD = 512GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
            PSU = EVGA SuperNOVA 1300w
            Case = Cooler Master HAF-X 945

HTPC / Home Server
            OS = Win7 64Bit running XBMC HTPC Front end with Windows Server 2012 Virtual Machine with 12GB ram assigned for homer server
            CPU = i7-980X @ 3.5Ghz CoolerMasster Hyper 212 Evo
            Mem = 24GB RAM
            MB = Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5 v1.0 with F6 Bios
            GPU = EVGA nVidia GT210
            HD = 2x PNY 120GB Raid 0 (OS)
            Storage = 8TB WD Black Storage
            PSU = Corsair TX750
            Case = Define R5

Comment

RAPID mode for Samsung SSD's only works for one drive at a time anyway.
              Maximus 8 Hero/6700K @ 4.8/4x4GB LPX @ 3200 15-17-17-36 CR1
              Case Labs SM8 w/dual pedestals / Custom water w/ acrylic pipe / Light box
              PowerColor 390Xw/EK block / Samsung 840 Pro 256GBx2 RAID 0 / 128GBx1 SSD's | 3 HDD's / DVD burner
              Dual Aquaero 5 Pro controllers for pumps & fans / FC9 for led's only 2xD5 pwm w/Bitspower tops - MCP35x2 - 3x480 rads/1x240 rad/AP15 fans / EK supremcy
              Seasonic Platinum 1000w custom fabbed/sleeved psu wiring by me

Wifes: Z77X-UD5H / 3770K w/c with Raystorm copper block & 2 Rads/ Kingston HyperX RAM / Switch 810 case/ PowerColor AX7950 w/EK block
              HTPC: Z68 Pro3 M / 2105

SOLD:Z97X-UD5H /4790K/F11b mod BIOS/[email protected] 4x4GB Kingston Genesis KHX24C11X3K4 2400 RAM 11-13-13-30
              SOLD:Z87X-UD5H /4770K

Comment

I have 4x 840 EVO in Raid 0 never had an issue with it all very reliable. I wasn't referring to rapid functionality i was actually referring to the drive maintenance part of the Magician software which forces TRIM. You cant run RAPID on a Raid 0 but you can run PrimoCache which is way better because you can choose how much of your RAM you want to use as a Cache,not just 1GB. Forgot to mention make sure you have latest Bios as that will have the right RST OROM so that TRIM will be supported....
                Last edited by scracy; 03-16-2014, 05:54 PM.

Comment

Intel 7 series chipset boards, like your Z77, were the first ones to officially support RAID 0 TRIM. You do not need a modded BIOS to have TRIM in RAID 0, that's for older Intel chipset boards, like the 6 series and earlier.

Your BIOS should have the required Option ROM, which according to Intel would be any version 11 OROM, or newer. Rather difficult to tell what version is in a Gigabyte or any BIOS, since it is not listed. You can check that in the IRST RAID utility available during POST, via Ctrl i. If you have the full IRST Windows driver package installed, you'll have the IRST GUI available. Run it (listed in Control Panel), click on the Help button, and then in the Help screen that appears, click on System Report. It will be shown in the IRST info area, just under the System Information area.

Nothing else needs to be done for TRIM in RAID 0 to work, except test it with trimcheck as mentioned above. There was a version of IRST (no longer available) that had non-functioning RAID 0 TRIM, so it's always good to check that it did not happen again. I've checked IRST 12.9 and RAID 0 TRIM was working fine.

Comment

Working...
                  X