X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Z87x-ud5h hdd led

Originally posted by hotMetal View Post
    Hi uiane,

I had the same BSOD issues as you before this Marvell bug, but managed to resolve it.

I don't know what processor Core you a running but I'm running the i7 4770K. In BIOS you need to disable all 'C state' power features of the processor. C1, C3, C6, C7, EIST. Also disable power saving profile in Windows, especially regarding the USB ports/controllers. Yes, you do consume a bit more power, but at least it will run stable.

Apparently Haswell needs a "compatible" PSU for the C-State power saving features to work. That's crap as I have the latest and quite decent 1000W PSU that says Haswell compatible and I get BSOD's whenever I enable the C-States.

Fiddle around with your C-States, some might work but I think C6/C7 are the more problematic ones.

Hope it helps.
    I'm using 2 memory sticks instead of four and I'm clear of bsdos, as long as it is only 2 sticks, seems like a common gigabyte z87 bug.
    Are you using 4 sticks ? do you think that If i plug them back in and disable all that C states it will work ?!
    ps: memtested all four sticks and they are good, and I can change both memory sticks and the computer stays oK, as long as it is only 2 at a time.
    Any suggestions ?
    thank you!

4770k (no over) with 212 Evo.
    G.SKill Ripjaw 4x8GB Kit ddr3 1.5v 1600 (using only 2 sticks)
    Samsung 840 SSD For Windows
    Crucial M4 for Hackintosh (mavericks)
    4 HDDs, all on Intel Controller.
    BluRay on Marvell Controller.
    GTX 780
    Seventeam ZAF 750 (Not haswell certified)
    Last edited by uiane; 12-02-2013, 06:41 AM. Reason: Add Hardware IDs

Comment

No BSOD's here with 4 sticks of GSkill F3-2133C9-8GTX currently on BIOS F8c. Had no problems on F3, F5, F7 either.

Comment

Originally posted by LeeBos View Post
        No BSOD's here with 4 sticks of GSkill F3-2133C9-8GTX currently on BIOS F8c. Had no problems on F3, F5, F7 either.
        F8C modded or beta ?
        any special settings in BIOS ?

Comment

Originally posted by uiane View Post
          F8C modded or beta ?
          any special settings in BIOS ?
          F8c Beta I think, no special settings, whatever it was defaulted to. I don't see the C states that were mentioned earlier. I may just go back to F7 as this one looks very different. It was in an earlier post by wazza300.

Comment

I've been running 4x4GB sticks of 2400 RAM all along with no problems. Actually I've run two different 4x4GB sets....
            I see posts here and there about disabling C states......I keep all C states on Auto except C6/C7, which I set to Enabled. This lets the cpu idle down to a very low voltage.....I've run mine up to 4.9 GHz with the same settings.
            Maximus 8 Hero/6700K @ 4.8/4x4GB LPX @ 3200 15-17-17-36 CR1
            Case Labs SM8 w/dual pedestals / Custom water w/ acrylic pipe / Light box
            PowerColor 390Xw/EK block / Samsung 840 Pro 256GBx2 RAID 0 / 128GBx1 SSD's | 3 HDD's / DVD burner
            Dual Aquaero 5 Pro controllers for pumps & fans / FC9 for led's only 2xD5 pwm w/Bitspower tops - MCP35x2 - 3x480 rads/1x240 rad/AP15 fans / EK supremcy
            Seasonic Platinum 1000w custom fabbed/sleeved psu wiring by me

Wifes: Z77X-UD5H / 3770K w/c with Raystorm copper block & 2 Rads/ Kingston HyperX RAM / Switch 810 case/ PowerColor AX7950 w/EK block
            HTPC: Z68 Pro3 M / 2105

SOLD:Z97X-UD5H /4790K/F11b mod BIOS/[email protected] 4x4GB Kingston Genesis KHX24C11X3K4 2400 RAM 11-13-13-30
            SOLD:Z87X-UD5H /4770K

Comment

Hi All,

Would just like to say thanks to 'LeeBos' again for the file, it worked 100% as per his instructions.

Also, I uploaded it to a free online filesharing service if anyone else is interested in getting it for their Z87X-UD5H Motherboards as well, it includes the USB Boot utility and the Firmware Flash files.
              The links are:

File 1:

File Name: 9230_NB_Auto.zip
              Description: Marvell Flash Tool
              File Size: 1 MB
              Download Link: 9230_NB_Auto.zip

File 2:

File Name: HPUSBformattool.zip
              Description: USB Boot Utility
              File Size: 369.3 KB
              Download Link: HPUSBformattool.zip

File 3:

File Name: win98boot.zip
              Description: USB Boot Files
              File Size: 669.4 KB
              Download Link: win98boot.zip

To download the files, simply click on the download links.

Being a free online filesharing service, the links have a time limit of 30 days without any activity before they expire. So if someone downloads a file after 20 days from now, it will be active for another 30 days and so on.
              If the MODS or ADMINS of TT would like to permanently include these files for future use I suggest they use their service to host these files for people to use after they become inactive.

Best of luck to all those suffering with this UD5H always on HDD LED issue, but as always, flash at your own risk, no one on this Forum or individuals will be liable if you carry out the process incorrectly.

Best of Luck

Comment

Correct procedure:

Make a bootable USB drive with the MSDOS file.THan extract the marvell zip to the root of the USB drive.
                Follow the procedure below:

and than
                go.bat -y

Restart, and shutdown, cut the power for at least 10 secs, then power on, hopefully should be working.

Comment

Originally posted by boondocks View Post
                  I've been running 4x4GB sticks of 2400 RAM all along with no problems. Actually I've run two different 4x4GB sets....
                  I see posts here and there about disabling C states......I keep all C states on Auto except C6/C7, which I set to Enabled. This lets the cpu idle down to a very low voltage.....I've run mine up to 4.9 GHz with the same settings.

Yeah,

I found good results with F7 modded BIOS but not too much with the F8x series. Can run 2 or 4 banks of RAM without BSOD's.
                  However, with F8a, F8b I get BSOD's regardless of amount of RAM sticks installed. Seems on my system that the C-states causes this.

But stable with F7 mod 1,2,3.

I often switch over to back-up BIOS which runs F5 when things get unstable, clear CMOS, then all good.

It seems that Gigabyte's BIOS for the UD5H are still not quite where they should be regarding stability between i7 and Z87 and their 'super' power-saving features.

But I really don't care much for power draw, I prefer full power all the time, even at idle, but that's just me. I have CPU vCore running in manual mode, not auto controlled by BIOS.

I can run 4.5 GHZ 100% CPU @ 65-70C stable with C-states disabled and manual BIOS voltage control settings, auto mode gets messy on my system at higher clocks.
                  Also, if your RAM is clocked higher, then your CPU will require more voltage and thus more heat and power draw. I'll see if running RAM in XMP profile or BIOS auto setting changes stability regarding to C-states...But getting a bit off topic here.

I'll play around with the various C-states and F7 mod 3 and F8c mod BIOS, because at the end of the day, a high clock speed @ low vCore would be great for heat reduction, now just to make it run stable. A bit of a knife edge juggling act, volt control and speed together with stability @ > 4.7 GHZ.

Comment

Yeah,

I found good results with F7 modded BIOS but not too much with the F8x series. Can run 2 or 4 banks of RAM without BSOD's.
                    However, with F8a, F8b I get BSOD's regardless of amount of RAM sticks installed. Seems on my system that the C-states causes this.

But stable with F7 mod 1,2,3.

I often switch over to back-up BIOS which runs F5 when things get unstable, clear CMOS, then all good.

It seems that Gigabyte's BIOS for the UD5H are still not quite where they should be regarding stability between i7 and Z87 and their 'super' power-saving features.

But I really don't care much for power draw, I prefer full power all the time, even at idle, but that's just me. I have CPU vCore running in manual mode, not auto controlled by BIOS.

I can run 4.5 GHZ 100% CPU @ 65-70C stable with C-states disabled and manual BIOS voltage control settings, auto mode gets messy on my system at higher clocks.
                    Also, if your RAM is clocked higher, then your CPU will require more voltage and thus more heat and power draw. I'll see if running RAM in XMP profile or BIOS auto setting changes stability regarding to C-states...But getting a bit off topic here.

I'll play around with the various C-states and F7 mod 3 and F8c mod BIOS, because at the end of the day, a high clock speed @ low vCore would be great for heat reduction, now just to make it run stable. A bit of a knife edge juggling act, volt control and speed together with stability @ > 4.7 GHZ.
                    I have been unable to run the F8 BIOS....but the F7 mod 3 is working well for me. I'm running my RAM @ 2400, but I can't use the XMP Profile, I have to manually enter the first set of timings plus command rate after I set my cpu overclock. I usually OC the cpu to x45, reboot, set the RAM timings & voltage, reboot and check RAM timings, if OK then I set my cpu OC to x47.

I have my vcore set manually for my overclock, Extreme LLC, and then C6/C7 set to enabled and I get idle vcore down around 0.2xx v.
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	gtl_OC47.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	754046
                    PowerColor 390Xw/EK block / Samsung 840 Pro 256GBx2 RAID 0 / 128GBx1 SSD's | 3 HDD's / DVD burner
                    Dual Aquaero 5 Pro controllers for pumps & fans / FC9 for led's only 2xD5 pwm w/Bitspower tops - MCP35x2 - 3x480 rads/1x240 rad/AP15 fans / EK supremcy

Wifes: Z77X-UD5H / 3770K w/c with Raystorm copper block & 2 Rads/ Kingston HyperX RAM / Switch 810 case/ PowerColor AX7950 w/EK block

SOLD:Z97X-UD5H /4790K/F11b mod BIOS/[email protected] 4x4GB Kingston Genesis KHX24C11X3K4 2400 RAM 11-13-13-30

Comment

Originally posted by uiane View Post
                      Correct procedure:

Make a bootable USB drive with the MSDOS file.THan extract the marvell zip to the root of the USB drive.
                      Follow the procedure below:

and than
                      go.bat -y

Restart, and shutdown, cut the power for at least 10 secs, then power on, hopefully should be working.
                      BUT - my 4x1TB RAID 10 has now 25 % slower write speed! It went all way down from ~190 MB/s to ~140 MB/s. Read speed stayed unchanged, around ~250 MB/s.

So warning - new marvell firmware (2.3.0.1050) might slow your writing speed
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by kafkaz; 12-13-2013, 11:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by morpheus67 View Post
                        Hi LeeBos,

sorry for the late reply, flashing this Marvell Chip successfully, LED Bug is resolved, thanks.
                        Can you tell me how to flash this Marvell chip ? I am having the same problem, I own Z87X 0C Force and any drive connected to Marvell chip, HDD led light stays on, goes off on activity an On with no activity. If Hard Drive is only connected to Intel Chipset, HDD led works normal. Urgh this is bugging me. Please advise.

GA-Z87X 0C FORCE Bios F8c ( Hackintosh build )
                        I7 4770K
                        INTEL SSD 520 SERIES 240GB FOR WINDOWS 8.1
                        M CRUCIAL SATA 111 128GB FOR Mavericks 10.9.1
                        WESTERN DIGITAL 2TB FOR ALL FILES
                        Seagate NAS drive 4TB for backup files
                        SAMSUNG BLU RAY OPTICAL DRIVE
                        CORSAIRS VENGEANCE 16 GB
                        IO GEAR BLUETOOTH
                        ROSEWILL WIFI ADAPTER
                        CORSAIR PSU MODULAR AX 850 WATTS

Comment

Originally posted by iyeow View Post
                          Can you tell me how to flash this Marvell chip ? I am having the same problem, I own Z87X 0C Force and any drive connected to Marvell chip, HDD led light stays on, goes off on activity an On with no activity. If Hard Drive is only connected to Intel Chipset, HDD led works normal. Urgh this is bugging me. Please advise.
                          Procedure is in post #37.

Comment

@ iyeow
                            Were you able to flash the Marvell firmware?

Comment

Originally posted by boondocks View Post
                              @ iyeow
                              Were you able to flash the Marvell firmware?
                              Where do I get the marvell chips firmware update ? Is this a Bios flashing or just Marvell chip flashing ?
                              Note : My bios is already F7 which is the latest.

Correct me if I am wrong, once I extracted the firmware for marvell chip, I boot it off from USB stick just like flashing bios , right ?
                              Last edited by iyeow; 01-23-2014, 02:49 PM.

GA-Z87X 0C FORCE Bios F8c ( Hackintosh build )
                              I7 4770K
                              INTEL SSD 520 SERIES 240GB FOR WINDOWS 8.1
                              M CRUCIAL SATA 111 128GB FOR Mavericks 10.9.1
                              WESTERN DIGITAL 2TB FOR ALL FILES
                              Seagate NAS drive 4TB for backup files
                              SAMSUNG BLU RAY OPTICAL DRIVE
                              CORSAIRS VENGEANCE 16 GB
                              IO GEAR BLUETOOTH
                              ROSEWILL WIFI ADAPTER
                              CORSAIR PSU MODULAR AX 850 WATTS

Comment

Originally posted by iyeow View Post
                                Where do I get the marvell chips firmware update ? Is this a Bios flashing or just Marvell chip flashing ?
                                Note : My bios is already F7 which is the latest.

Correct me if I am wrong, once I extracted the firmware for marvell chip, I boot it off from USB stick just like flashing bios , right ?
                                Not Exactly,
                                read post #37 and #36.

Comment

Working...
                                X