I give Up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I give Up

OK, let me first say that when I was paying $89.00 for a "top of the line" motherboard so long ago, I NEVER felt that I was going to be "left behind".

Where we are today is left with the attitude that "well it works if you set defaults" is so ****ing aggravating that I do not want to participate in furthering this technology.
    If my support factor is "well, if you set defaults, it works", is the answer, maybe I should buy a Dell, HP, or Lenovo.
    I have, after pushing my Z77X-UP5TH to support Windows 8.1, reached the conclusion that after trying making it comply with Windows 8.1 corrupts the BIOS, given up on aftermarket motherboard support.
    Gigabyte, if you think that the only thing that matters is the "current" chipset, i.e. Z87, is all that matters to your young punk BIOS team, then you are sadly mistaken.
    There has been more than enough time for testing with Windows 8.1 Preview to determine the correct Windows 8.0/8.1 UEFI default settings with the current UEFI BIOSes patched into the main BIOS.
    I give up on, not just Gigabyte, but the entire aftermarket BIOS effort entirely.

How complicated is this? You are given parameters that you must follow from the OS provider and you cannot do this with any sort of consistency.
    Sure the OEMs out there force the "default" settings upon me, but I do NOT have to worry about BIOS corruption along with an insecure OS.

And if that is not enough, Microsoft is in bed, to the point of ass ****ing the NSA, that everything that my Apps do is stored in a server somewhere that can be accessed anytime they want.
    I give up on, no functioning BIOS, no security, blocked foreign IP address from the NSA, and my information being given freely to anyone that wants it, that I will soon learn Linux or just go back to flying my 6 ft. wingspan RC planes for fun.

From 1984 until today I thought Microsoft had a future. I was mislead, lied to, prompted to mark check boxes that gave my information to everyone, until I do NOT know where I should turn. I gave up on public media several years ago and now they are intercepting my freedom of information, BY DEFAULT!
    Time to move on to another frontier and allow the minions to follow their God to their loyal leaders.

Re: I give Up

Wow, sorry you are having problems with Windows 8.1 and your Gigabyte Z77 board, hardly an old or legacy product.

I'm not clear about what is causing your frustrations, it sounds like your board's BIOS was corrupted, or is unable to use options besides default settings, after installing Windows 8.1, is that right? If so, I'm curious about what options you can't use besides default settings.

No mother board manufacture is perfect, each has their high and low points. That is not an excuse for basic incompetence, if that is the case. I have one older Gigabyte board (socket 775) that is still in use today, working fine. From my observations in this forum and others, one of Gigabytes low points seems to be their BIOS's. I just seem to see the same kind of complaints of pretty basic things IMO, to the point where it does not look like user error. Other users love and modify Gigabyte BIOS', so I can't come to any conclusions.

The intrusive government harvesting of our personal information and Internet usage is another topic IMO, and is the beginning of a change in our way of life.

Comment

Thank for your understanding.
      There is a serious problem with the Z77X-UP5Th BIOS when trying to setup for Secure Boot in Windows 8.1.
      The only way to comply with the required setting is to choose "Custom" under "Secure Boot" in the BIOS and "install default keys".
      Once you do that Windows may boot but once it does and a reboot is attempted, the BIOS becomes corrupted to the point that a power supply shut off and a switch to the backup BIOS is required.

I have fought this only after I had fought Microsoft to do a "clean" install of 8.1 from the RTM disc using my original 8.0 product key to activate.
      After all this wrangling to do a "clean" install, change default "share my data" settings of Windows 8.1 and install the newest drivers from manufacturers, I gave up once the BIOS corrupted itself more than once.
      I have resorted to doing IT work only as an escape from my disability to keep my mind busy. All the while I've watched the further development of an industry wide attitude of, "well, Microsoft says that what we have to do, so it's OK" crap. Let me be the one to finally speak up and say that Microsoft needs to be questioned as to who runs the show. Is it Microsoft or the NSA?
      For me to try and choose options within the BIOS and within the OS to highly restrict keystroke and click tracking from "John Q Public" that is so difficult to attain until a BIOS corruption is the end result is ridiculous.
      I would like to help Gigabyte correct his issue but with so many fan control issues that have never been addressed on previous motherboards I do not feel that a single issue of privacy or OS compliance is at the top of their list.
      I have been a Gigabyte customer since the Intel 915 chipset days for almost every system I've built, and that has been many. Yet I've watched fan control and now with "Secure Boot" become an issue with them and other manufacturers become a nightmare.
      There may be an answer to my issue with the BIOS but there is not one for the privacy issue with Microsoft.
      Without both I do not see any point to continue this affair any longer. Give me some balsa, glue, fabric, and wind and I'll move on from here.

Comment

Amen... I too have recently started feeling the same way you have... I have not moved to Win8 because of the install wanting to connect to my online identity on start and for me I believe that isn't right. and the first few times I installed Win8 I took me a bit to figure out that the user didn't have to attach the login to an online account.. Why make that option an obscure one? I believe now that its no longer in Beta that is a little more straight forward... but still.....

I'm sticking to Win7 and am testing Linux based OS's and testing some of my windows applications (games) in that environment. Looking forward to the day I no longer need a MS product.

Vin
        Main Rig
        OS = Win10-64Bit
        CPU = Ryzen 1700x Overclocked to 4Ghz with custom water-cooling loop
        Mem = 16GB RAM @ 3200Mhz
        MB = Asus ROG C6H
        GPU = Asus 1080Ti ROG Strix
        HD = 512GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
        PSU = EVGA SuperNOVA 1300w
        Case = Cooler Master HAF-X 945

HTPC / Home Server
        OS = Win7 64Bit running XBMC HTPC Front end with Windows Server 2012 Virtual Machine with 12GB ram assigned for homer server
        CPU = i7-980X @ 3.5Ghz CoolerMasster Hyper 212 Evo
        Mem = 24GB RAM
        MB = Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5 v1.0 with F6 Bios
        GPU = EVGA nVidia GT210
        HD = 2x PNY 120GB Raid 0 (OS)
        Storage = 8TB WD Black Storage
        PSU = Corsair TX750
        Case = Define R5

Comment

"Gigabyte, if you think that the only thing that matters is the "current" chipset, i.e. Z87, is all that matters to your young punk BIOS team, then you are sadly mistaken."

Uwanna I can assure you that that is indeed the case,every other motherboard manufacturer has updated bios for there X79 boards to enable the use of Ivy-BridgeE from Ivy's release date Gigabyte's option is to release new motherboards and hope the suckers will buy buy buy,not this time and not this sucker

Gigabytes support of any product over a year old is nonexistant

Comment

Originally posted by abigtruk View Post
            "Gigabyte, if you think that the only thing that matters is the "current" chipset, i.e. Z87, is all that matters to your young punk BIOS team, then you are sadly mistaken."

Uwanna I can assure you that that is indeed the case,every other motherboard manufacturer has updated bios for there X79 boards to enable the use of Ivy-BridgeE from Ivy's release date Gigabyte's option is to release new motherboards and hope the suckers will buy buy buy,not this time and not this sucker

Gigabytes support of any product over a year old is nonexistant

it's even worse than that the UP4 is listed as Ivy-E compatible and has the damn secure boot bug. you can use a resource hacker to disable the message on your desktop that you have secure boot off.

Comment

I have also had he same issue with the up5 motherboard and Windows 8.1. Installing the secure boot keys causes a complete board halt. Only way to fix it is to revert to backup bios and refresh... I agree this board needs a new STABLE bios like yesterday. The last one available is 8/23/2013. Give me a break gigabyte, sorry to name drop but ASUS would not do that.

Comment

On my Z77 chipset board, I simply went back to the latest stable BIOS instead of the current beta versions. That old version simply does not have SecureBoot at all. There's no message on the desktop in Windows 8.1. It might be from 2012 but there's nothing that seems broken in that BIOS. The overclocking works fine, devices work, etc.

Comment

Working...
                X