X79-UD3 BIOS update broke 3820 OC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X79-UD3 BIOS update broke 3820 OC

As the title suggests, updating the BIOS on my X79-UD3 from F12t to F16 (and subsequently F17a) has stopped me overclocking my 3820. I did have it stable @ 4.5 GHz (36x125 MHz), but now whenever I change the BCLK multiplier to anything above 1.00x, the CPU multiplier locks to 28x. I have tried to return the BIOS to F12t using @BIOS, but it just opens a message box saying the motherboard is protected from using this BIOS version. Is there away to get the overclock to work? Or is there a way to get back to the previous BIOS version?

Re: X79-UD3 BIOS update broke 3820 OC

You just need to flash it using FTK. It's in the sticky with the tools and utilities and I think it's also discussed near the end of the "how to flash a bios" thread. It's real easy, you just make a bootable USB stick and drop a set of files onto it along with your bios, then reboot to the USB drive, type a command, wait for it to finish, and reboot the computer.

It's now the only way I flash a BIOS. I highly recommend using Q-Flash or FTK to reduce the chance of risk @BIOS introduces by flashing a BIOS from Windows.

Comment

Re: X79-UD3 BIOS update broke 3820 OC

Thanks for the swift reply. I tried to flash back to F12t using Q-Flash, but it came out with a message saying the BIOS is outdated and refused to flash. Will flashing from a bootable USB somehow avoid this problem? Does anyone have any ideas on getting the higher clock speeds on the current BIOS (F17a)? Is a future BIOS update likely to fix this issue?

Comment

Working...
      X