Boot time increased after connecting USB 3.0 drive bay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boot time increased after connecting USB 3.0 drive bay

I own a GA-Z68XP-UD4 rev 1.3 board & recently I connected a Syba USB 3.0 drive bay. Since that day I have noticed a considerable increase in the windows boot time. Now windows takes a good long while at the logo & then few seconds at the welcome screen also. This is happening even though the windows is installed on a Corsair Force GT SSD. If I disable the front USB in bios windows boots quickly as it used to. My hard drives are all connected to the Intel's Sata ports since I have kept the Marvell ports disabled in bios.

Here's what I have done far:

• Reinstalled windows.
    • Updated Marvell & Etron drivers.
    • Reduced startup items.
    • Updated the chipset & SATA drivers from Intel.

Is this a known problem with the Gigabyte boards? How do I solve it because I didnt pay such a huge amount back them to run into such problems with Gigabyte boards?
    Last edited by varunb; 10-20-2013, 01:40 PM. Reason: Solved
    Intel Core i5 2500k
    GA-Z68XP-UD4 Rev 1.3 F6
    Corsair Force GT + WD Caviar Black 1TB + Segate 500GB HDD
    Corsair 8GB RAM
    MSI GTX 970 3.5GB + 0.5GB graphic card
    Dell U2312HM widescreen monitor
    Windows 8.1 64 bit

Re: Boot time increased after connecting USB 3.0 drive bay

Solution figured out. I had to create a shutdown/logon script to handle the disabling & re-enabling of USB 3.0 devices.
    1. Download Devcon 64 bit or 32 bit depending upon which version of Windows you are using. Instead of downloading 600MB of entire toolkit from Microsoft's website its best to download the executable only which is easily available from a lot of websites.
    2. Run this command devcon find *> list.txt in command prompt to output a text file containing all the hardware IDs.
    3. Use this guide Enable/disable a device from the command line & choose a piece of the string that identifies the device, and verify it is unique. Once match found you are good to go.
    4. Open Group Policy Editor (gpedit.msc) -> Computer Configuration -> Windows Policy -> Scripts -> Shutdown.
    5. In order to disable the USB 3.0 device just before windows shuts down or reboots, add the script by locating the devcon.exe file as the script name & disable <hwid> as the script parameter. For example script parameter in my case was disable *root_hub30. Save the script.
    6. Similarly head to Computer Configuration -> Windows Policy -> Scripts -> Logon.
    7. Now create the script to enable the USB 3.0 device durign windows logon. Use the same disable script & replace the word disable with enable. Save the script.
    Last edited by varunb; 10-20-2013, 01:52 PM.
    Intel Core i5 2500k
    GA-Z68XP-UD4 Rev 1.3 F6
    Corsair Force GT + WD Caviar Black 1TB + Segate 500GB HDD
    Corsair 8GB RAM
    MSI GTX 970 3.5GB + 0.5GB graphic card
    Dell U2312HM widescreen monitor
    Windows 8.1 64 bit

Comment

Working...
    X