Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA-Z87X-UD4H - RAID 0 Assistance

Hello,

I am about to put together a new build and need some assistance setting up RAID. Going to be using Win8.

I have a total of 4 drives and 1 optical drive going into my build.

1x SAMSUNG 840 Pro Series 256GB - OS/important application drive
    2x WD Black 640GB - Data Drive
    1x WD Black 1TB - Backup Drive

I was planning on plugging the following drives into each port

SATA0 - Main SSD
    SATA1 - 1TB Backup drive
    SATA2 - 640gb drive (first raid drive)
    SATA3 - 640gb drive (second raid drive)
    SATA4 - Optical drive

I was wondering if where I was going to plug in everything looked good?

I was also not sure on how exactly to set up raid with my single drives? I know I have to go into the BIOS and change it to RAID for the correct SATA ports, but what drivers do I need to install as well? Not sure which ones I need to download
    GIGABYTE - Motherboard - Socket 1150 - GA-Z87X-UD4H (rev. 1.0)

Thanks ahead of time for your help and let me know if you need any more information!
    Last edited by monsterenergy22; 09-20-2013, 11:07 AM. Reason: Solved

Re: GA-Z87X-UD4H - RAID 0 Assistance

As long as all your drives are connected to the Intel SATA ports, your plan is fine.

You must set the Intel SATA mode to RAID before you install Windows, or fix it later which is the more difficult option.

When you install Windows, only connect the target OS drive (Main SSD) to the board, or don't connect the other drives to the PSU. Otherwise Windows will put the MBR on another drive, and if you remove it Windows will no longer boot. That can be repaired with the Windows installation media if necessary.

The main Intel SATA RAID driver you install in Windows is:

Since you are not installing Windows on a RAID 0 volume, you should not need to install the following driver during the Windows installation:

Intel SATA Preinstall driver 12.6.0.1033

I see on your board's download page there is a "Hotfix" download: (Note) After installed IRST driver, please install Hot fix 1.0.0.1

That must be to fix a problem that can occur with the IRST 12.6 driver, so I would suggest using it.

Otherwise you can use any of the version 12 IRST drivers directly from Intel here, without the Hotfix:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Sea...90&FamilyId=42

Comment

Originally posted by parsec View Post
      As long as all your drives are connected to the Intel SATA ports, your plan is fine.

You must set the Intel SATA mode to RAID before you install Windows, or fix it later which is the more difficult option.

When you install Windows, only connect the target OS drive (Main SSD) to the board, or don't connect the other drives to the PSU. Otherwise Windows will put the MBR on another drive, and if you remove it Windows will no longer boot. That can be repaired with the Windows installation media if necessary.

The main Intel SATA RAID driver you install in Windows is:

Since you are not installing Windows on a RAID 0 volume, you should not need to install the following driver during the Windows installation:

Intel SATA Preinstall driver 12.6.0.1033

I see on your board's download page there is a "Hotfix" download: (Note) After installed IRST driver, please install Hot fix 1.0.0.1

That must be to fix a problem that can occur with the IRST 12.6 driver, so I would suggest using it.

Otherwise you can use any of the version 12 IRST drivers directly from Intel here, without the Hotfix:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Sea...90&FamilyId=42
      Thanks for the reply!

So just to clarify, to start, only plug in my SSD and install Windows. Then after windows is installed, plug in my RAID drives, configure it in the BIOS, and go from there?

I know you said I don't need the Intel SATA Preinstall driver 12.6.0.1033 since I am not installing Windows on my RAID array, but do I need it to use AHCI mode?

Ended up downloading the latest Intel RST RAID Driver straight from Intel, thanks for that.

Comment

Originally posted by monsterenergy22 View Post
        Thanks for the reply!

So just to clarify, to start, only plug in my SSD and install Windows. Then after windows is installed, plug in my RAID drives, configure it in the BIOS, and go from there?
        Yes, exactly right.

I know you said I don't need the Intel SATA Preinstall driver 12.6.0.1033 since I am not installing Windows on my RAID array, but do I need it to use AHCI mode?

Ended up downloading the latest Intel RST RAID Driver straight from Intel, thanks for that.
        No, don't use AHCI mode and then try to change to RAID, you'll have problems when you try to boot after doing that. RAID mode has all the features of AHCI mode and is identical to AHCI mode with single, non-RAID array drives. You can use RAID mode and never create a RAID array, and the PC will function just as it would in AHCI mode.

Windows 7 and 8 have a basic Intel RAID driver included with it, so you aren't required to use the preinstall driver. When you install the Intel RAID driver you downloaded, it will replace the one included with Windows. The preinstall driver will be newer than the one included with Windows, so may have added features that you might want to use if you were installing Windows on a RAID volume. Since you aren't doing that, you aren't missing anything by installing the latest driver version after you install Windows.

Comment

Finally got the build done, but ran into some major problems when setting up RAID.

Installed Windows 8 just fine with only the SSD plugged in and was able to boot into Windows with no problem.

First I tried setting up RAID usiing UEFI RAID like the manual suggests, but whenever I set OS Type to Windows 8 and CSM Support to Never, I cant get any picture on my monitor. Tried several times and eventually had to reset the BIOS.

Then I tried using legacy RAID ROM, but whenever I set up my array and reboot, I get an error that Windows cant boot. I try selecting my SSD from the boot menu, but still says cant boot.

Any ideas?

Comment

if you just have te SSD connected does it boot?

Vin
            Main Rig
            OS = Win10-64Bit
            CPU = Ryzen 1700x Overclocked to 4Ghz with custom water-cooling loop
            Mem = 16GB RAM @ 3200Mhz
            MB = Asus ROG C6H
            GPU = Asus 1080Ti ROG Strix
            HD = 512GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
            PSU = EVGA SuperNOVA 1300w
            Case = Cooler Master HAF-X 945

HTPC / Home Server
            OS = Win7 64Bit running XBMC HTPC Front end with Windows Server 2012 Virtual Machine with 12GB ram assigned for homer server
            CPU = i7-980X @ 3.5Ghz CoolerMasster Hyper 212 Evo
            Mem = 24GB RAM
            MB = Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5 v1.0 with F6 Bios
            GPU = EVGA nVidia GT210
            HD = 2x PNY 120GB Raid 0 (OS)
            Storage = 8TB WD Black Storage
            PSU = Corsair TX750
            Case = Define R5

Comment

Originally posted by Vinster View Post
              if you just have te SSD connected does it boot?

Vin
              No, it sits at the loading Windows screen, gives me a BSOD, then reboots and trys to perform and automatic repair.

Update 1:
              Tried the process over this morning and did the following but still no luck. Also tried doing the UEFI RAID in step 5, but get no video signal again using external graphics card.

1) Disabled all ports but SSD on mobo.
              2) Installed Windows 8 (4 partitions) on the ssd.
              3) Booted into windows and verified that BIOS mode is set to UEFI.
              4) Went into bios and only enabled ports with the drives for RAID (1 + 3)
              5) Configured RAID volume using Ctrl-I (Shows as bootable, cant get that to change)
              6) Enable all mobo ports.
              7) Windows wont boot and BSOD.
              8) Then tried disabling all ports but the SSD, and I get Reboot and select proper boot device.

Update 2:
              Noticed my current bios version is F5 and the latest is F8. Gonna flash to the latest version and see if that fix the problem.
              Last edited by monsterenergy22; 09-19-2013, 10:10 AM. Reason: Tried again

Comment

Finally got the build done, but ran into some major problems when setting up RAID.

Installed Windows 8 just fine with only the SSD plugged in and was able to boot into Windows with no problem.

First I tried setting up RAID usiing UEFI RAID like the manual suggests, but whenever I set OS Type to Windows 8 and CSM Support to Never, I cant get any picture on my monitor. Tried several times and eventually had to reset the BIOS.

Then I tried using legacy RAID ROM, but whenever I set up my array and reboot, I get an error that Windows cant boot. I try selecting my SSD from the boot menu, but still says cant boot.

Any ideas?
                I don't know why the manual would suggest using the "UEFI RAID", since that requires a UEFI booting Windows 8 installation, with the OS drive formatted as GPT, etc. That also includes disabling CSM support (setting it to Never apparently in your BIOS) but when that is done it requires a video source that supports "GOP", a UEFI specification. That explains the black screen when you set CSM to never, I assume you are using a video card, and only the very latest cards support GOP, some require a VBIOS update, as my card did.

Regardless, forget configuring your RAID with the "UEFI RAID" utility. I assume the SATA mode is set to RAID, and you installed the the Intel RAID driver I mentioned, correct? If so, in Windows Control Panel, there should be an entry for "Intel Rapid Storage Technology". Run that program which contains RAID configuration options. If you haven't removed your first RAID array, I would do that first, and then configure it again with the Windows IRST program. I'm guessing the first RAID configuration is screwed up with all the changes you tried. I would also suggest clearing the BIOS before starting, then immediately going into the BIOS and reset the SATA mode to RAID, and continue from there with the IRST Windows program to create your RAID array.

Comment

Originally posted by parsec View Post
                  I don't know why the manual would suggest using the "UEFI RAID", since that requires a UEFI booting Windows 8 installation, with the OS drive formatted as GPT, etc. That also includes disabling CSM support (setting it to Never apparently in your BIOS) but when that is done it requires a video source that supports "GOP", a UEFI specification. That explains the black screen when you set CSM to never, I assume you are using a video card, and only the very latest cards support GOP, some require a VBIOS update, as my card did.

Regardless, forget configuring your RAID with the "UEFI RAID" utility. I assume the SATA mode is set to RAID, and you installed the the Intel RAID driver I mentioned, correct? If so, in Windows Control Panel, there should be an entry for "Intel Rapid Storage Technology". Run that program which contains RAID configuration options. If you haven't removed your first RAID array, I would do that first, and then configure it again with the Windows IRST program. I'm guessing the first RAID configuration is screwed up with all the changes you tried. I would also suggest clearing the BIOS before starting, then immediately going into the BIOS and reset the SATA mode to RAID, and continue from there with the IRST Windows program to create your RAID array.
                  However, the problem I am havin right now is that I cant even boot into Windows.

So it looks like I am going to have to a a fresh install again.

1) Install Windows 8 with only SSD plugged in.
                  2) Install Intel RAID Driver
                  3) Configure RAID array
                  4) Boot into windows again.

Only problem is at step 4, I cant boot into Windows. Even if my SSD is the only thing plugged in.

Comment

Make sure your bios is set to raid before installing windows. in your RAID config you should see the single disk and it should be marked as a non-member disk. Then install Windows.. and for Win8 can you select an NTFS partition instead of GPT? then you could boot from it regardless if running UEFI or not.

Then once Windows is configured then you can add your other disks and create the raid for the paired disks.

if all else fails again, is it possible to set a soft-raid in windows 8? XP is the only Win OS that they removed this feature, I'd hope they didn't remove it in Win8.

Vin
                    Last edited by Vinster; 09-19-2013, 05:33 PM.
                    Main Rig
                    OS = Win10-64Bit
                    Mem = 16GB RAM @ 3200Mhz
                    MB = Asus ROG C6H

HTPC / Home Server
                    OS = Win7 64Bit running XBMC HTPC Front end with Windows Server 2012 Virtual Machine with 12GB ram assigned for homer server
                    Mem = 24GB RAM
                    GPU = EVGA nVidia GT210
                    PSU = Corsair TX750
                    Case = Define R5

Comment

Mhmm found out some information that seems interesting, just not sure what to do with it.

When my mobo is set to AHCI mode, it shows that Windows Boot Manager is on Port 0 (My SSD) in my boot options. My PC boots just fine.

However, as soon I as change my mobo to RAID, the Windows Boot Manager is its own option to boot to in the boot order. Its not on the SSD any more like it should.

If I change it back to AHCI, it goes back to the SSD and boots just fine.

Comment

If you want a RAID you cannot be switching back and forth between AHCI and RAID... Select RAID and leave it. in a RAID for your single SSD and Single Drives you will still get the benefits of the functions of AHCI....

AHCI and RAID drivers to an OS is like comparing apples and oranges... you can't do it.

Select RAID in your SATA options, in your bootup options select the SSD from the RAID configuration and install windows. if for some odd reason you cannot find your SSD, then open the RAID configuration and make a RAID1 configuration and only select the SSD and give it a name.

then go back in to the bootup order and then you should see your SSD.

please re-read the posts above about not changing the SATA to other modes other than RAID... you are your worst enemy right now and you are not helping yourself.

Vin
                        Main Rig
                        OS = Win10-64Bit
                        Mem = 16GB RAM @ 3200Mhz
                        MB = Asus ROG C6H

HTPC / Home Server
                        Mem = 24GB RAM
                        GPU = EVGA nVidia GT210
                        PSU = Corsair TX750
                        Case = Define R5

Comment

Hi Vin,

I wasn't purposely going back and forth between AHCI and RAID. I flashed my BIOS to the latest version after some guys I work with recommended I give that a shot, and in the process I had to load optimized defaults. That in turn set it back to AHCI and I happened to let my PC boot.

So to clarify, are you recommend I re-install Windows8 after resetting up my RAID?

Because I have it set to RAID, and I can't boot into Windows since my Windows Boot Manager doesnt seem to be on my SSD anymore according to the BIOS.

Comment

Thanks for both of yalls help, I really appreciate it. Finally got it working.

When I was installing Windows, I was doing so on a GPT formatted disk. Finally tried installing it on a MBR formatted disk, and it worked.

Comment

We overlooked the obvious situation here, Windows was installed with multiple drives active on the PC. So who knows where the MBR was, since Windows will put it on a drive other than the OS drive when multiple drives are available during a Windows installation. It sounds like the MBR was on the RAID array, and apparently on the SSD too, and when the RAID array wasn't created, the MBR on the SSD was used, and when the RAID array was created, it used the MBR there.

GPT formatting in Windows includes an MBR partition, a safety feature according to MS. GPT formatting should not cause any problems installing Windows, I have several PCs with GPT formatted OS disks which work fine. Whether MBR or GPT formatted, Windows will still put the boot partition on another drive during the installation if possible, a very annoying "feature" that does not benefit the user at all.

Comment

Working...
                              X