Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

X79-UP4 BIOS F2,F3p,F3t .. Freezes caused by VT-d.. found the culprit.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X79-UP4 BIOS F2,F3p,F3t .. Freezes caused by VT-d.. found the culprit.

CPU i7-3930K S-Spec: SR0KY Stepping C2
    So after more tests I found out that when I disabled VT-d and Intel Acceleration Technology the random freeze disappeared.

In the past months I tried disabling Intel Acceleration Technology alone once but it didn't fix anything. I didn't try mantaining just that enabled, just to be sure I disabled it along with VT-d because both are related to direct I/O hardware access and acceleration functions at CPU and chipset level.

The system is not freezing anymore under Win7-x64 SP1.

I am going to report the bug to Gigabyte GGTS too in reply to their last quite rude answer in which they were negating the issue and claiming it was my fault, refusing to update the X79-UP4 Beta Bios to the latest Intel Microcode, Intel Management Engine Firmware, Intel Gigabit Firmware and RST option rom versions.

With the Microcode stuck at 70B while Intel released 70C,70D,70E an 710 to OEMs but Gigabyte never gave any to its customers... it's highly likely that the freezing bug it's a documented issue with either CPU Microcode, Intel ME Firmware or both.

I don't know if the bug could be due to the Hauppauge HVR-3000 TV tuner PCI card or the Intel NIC PCI-E card or the AMD PCI-E GPU and/or the Adaptec 5805 RAID PCI-E controller card.
    What is for sure is that it shouldn't happen whatever the cards installed in the system are. VT-d and Intel Acceleration Technology must just work with no random freezing. Period.
    Intel is not telling that those technologies don't work with some cards.

It's a critical bug that Gigabyte must fix and it's preventing customers from using Intel CPU functions properly. Now I am going to report everything to Intel too. I didn't do that before trying to figure it out and now that I found what is causing the random freeze bug I can tell them. And I will tell them that Gigabyte as an OEM is not giving its customers the updates Intel releases, so preventing Intel customers to use CPU and chipset technologies.
    Last edited by zerowing; 07-30-2013, 10:19 AM.

Re: X79-UP4 BIOS F2,F3p,F3t .. Freezes caused by VT-d.. found the culprit.

Hello,

I just wanted to thank you heartily zerowing. Disabling the VT-d has indeed fixed my random freezes on my X79-UD5 (F13p), and so has almost closed my 10 months of troubles with my new rig (starting with a HD7970 and AMD drivers that would lock the whole system in the game I played and sprouting countless iastorA.sys related BSOD with my 4 drives RAID array on RSTe with a Samsung 830 SSD on top...)
    Now, I just have to give back a try putting my SSD back on the X79 with the iRST, but at last, I have a trustable rig to use.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Azalus; 09-02-2013, 12:59 PM.

Comment

Hi Everyone,

I am also using an X79-UP4 and whilst testing with BurnIn Test my system is crashing with the BSOD. Here are links to my two primary forum posts related to this issue -

System crashing, but I am using an almost identical setup to existing stable system!! - Motherboards - Overclocking

BSOD on new Windows 7 computer (custom build) - Tech Support Forum

I am hoping to get some BSOD assistance from "Tech Support Forum", and provided that I do it will be interesting to see any conclusions that are reached.

Kind Regards,

Davo

Comment

You X79-UP4 folks should try the latest modified BIOS listed below. Also, check here for all of the latest drivers for your boards. Lastly, run a Web Scan here to check that the rest of your computer has the very latest drivers.

Cleaning your registry of obsolete entries and making sure your old drivers are completely uninstalled, before installing new drivers, will considerably help keep your systems running as smooth as silk.

Originally posted by virtualfred View Post
        X79 Modified BIOS

**NOTE : ME Firmware 8.1.51.1471 should be flashed by yourself in Windows (How to update ME firmware).

GA-X79-UP4 BIOS F5b mod
        Modified with :
        Intel RAID for SATA 11.6.0.1702 to 12.7.0.1936
        Intel UEFI SataDriver 11.6.0.1702 to 12.7.0.1936
        Intel RSTe RAID for SATA 3.7.0.1049 to 3.8.0.1009
        Intel RSTe EFI SataDriver 3.7.0.1049
        Marvell 88SE91xx Adapter 1.0.1.0025
        Intel Boot Agent GE 1.3.95 to 1.5.43
        Intel (06D5) CPU Microcode 512 to 513
        Intel (06D6) CPU Microcode 616 to 619
        Intel (06D7) CPU Microcode 710
        Intel (06E2) CPU Microcode 20C to 20D
        Intel (06E0) CPU Microcode 008 added
        Intel (06E3) CPU Microcode 308 added
        Intel (06E4) IvyE CPU Microcode 416
        ME firmware 8.1.40.1416 to 8.1.50.1456
        Modified splash logo

Comment

Hi MacG32,

Thanks for your input. With the help of another forum I believe that I have identified the root cause of this issue - which as of writing I suspect to be the "Gigabyte Easy Tune" application (and more specifically it's driver - GVTDrv64.sys).

This being said I did install my drivers from the CD that came with the board, so I now plan to download the latest drivers - from the Gigabyte website (GIGABYTE - Motherboard - Socket 2011 - GA-X79-UP4 (rev. 1.0)) - which were released just this month. Once these new drivers are installed I will definitely look at flashing the custom BIOS if I am still experiencing issues.

Kind Regards,

Davo

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Davo View Post
            Hi MacG32,

Thanks for your input. With the help of another forum I believe that I have identified the root cause of this issue - which as of writing I suspect to be the "Gigabyte Easy Tune" application (and more specifically it's driver - GVTDrv64.sys).

This being said I did install my drivers from the CD that came with the board, so I now plan to download the latest drivers - from the Gigabyte website (GIGABYTE - Motherboard - Socket 2011 - GA-X79-UP4 (rev. 1.0)) - which were released just this month. Once these new drivers are installed I will definitely look at flashing the custom BIOS if I am still experiencing issues.

Kind Regards,

Davo
            Definitely ditch easytune, if you want to tweak something do it from the BIOS itself.

Comment

Hi Everyone,

I have managed to make this system stable, now at just over 49 hours running BurnIn Test (CPU, RAM & Graphics running at 95%).

Ultimately the issue came back to drivers, I used the drivers supplied on the CD that came with the motherboard, and these were dated as late September (2013).

Screen shot of the CD folders -

I downloaded the most recent drivers from the Gigabyte Site, dated at the 1/10/2013 and everything is working well.

I also noticed on the Gigabyte Site that the F4 BIOS was released on the 5/09/2013 - and in all likelihood it was shortly after this that they updated the relevant driver files.

Lesson here, when playing with high end kit always download drivers from the manufacturers web site (the CD that comes in the box basically belongs in the BIN!).

Thanks for all of your assistance.

Kind Regards,

Davo

Comment

Working...
              X