Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gigabyte 990-FXA-UD5 Showing Odd Ram Count, Disappearing Drive in Windows

Hello,

I recently did some upgrading I swapped out my 1090t for the FX-8350. Before the upgrade I noticed my RAM when booting was 32768, now its at 32750. Somewhere along the way after changing CPU's I lost what appears to be 16mb of RAM.

I've had no issues with the PC other than the odd memory count, the FX8350 is nice, I am on BIOS F11, I didn't update to F12a as it is in BETA. I am not sure what is causing this "issue" I've had no BSOD's or lockups. My only other issue is that I have a drive that keeps "disappearing" from Windows 8. I'm currently trying to figure out what is causing that. So far no luck there as well. I've changed around SATA cords and even put in a new one, ran every diagnostic I know out there and the drive tests fine, its like Windows just drops it. Very bizarre. This drive and ram was all working just fine before the new CPU upgrade.

Any thoughts?

Re: Gigabyte 990-FXA-UD5 Showing Odd Ram Count, Disappearing Drive in Windows

If you check the system logs in the event viewer do you see a reason for the disk going missing there?

I see you have 6 HDD, what is the configuration? are you running a raid of some kind?

For the ram, I don't any thoughts. the RAM count, is that what you see from the Bios? from within the bios you should be able to see every stick population, is the 4.5mb (18/4) missing equally from all the sticks of is the 18MB missing from one stick?

Have you run Memtestx86?

Vin
    Main Rig
    OS = Win10-64Bit
    CPU = Ryzen 1700x Overclocked to 4Ghz with custom water-cooling loop
    Mem = 16GB RAM @ 3200Mhz
    MB = Asus ROG C6H
    GPU = Asus 1080Ti ROG Strix
    HD = 512GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
    PSU = EVGA SuperNOVA 1300w
    Case = Cooler Master HAF-X 945

HTPC / Home Server
    OS = Win7 64Bit running XBMC HTPC Front end with Windows Server 2012 Virtual Machine with 12GB ram assigned for homer server
    CPU = i7-980X @ 3.5Ghz CoolerMasster Hyper 212 Evo
    Mem = 24GB RAM
    MB = Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5 v1.0 with F6 Bios
    GPU = EVGA nVidia GT210
    HD = 2x PNY 120GB Raid 0 (OS)
    Storage = 8TB WD Black Storage
    PSU = Corsair TX750
    Case = Define R5

Comment

Re: Gigabyte 990-FXA-UD5 Showing Odd Ram Count, Disappearing Drive in Windows

Originally posted by Vinster View Post
      If you check the system logs in the event viewer do you see a reason for the disk going missing there?
      Found out last night my Optical Drive is bad, when copying from backed up media such as BDR's or DVDs the machine would freeze the disc couldn't read and that's when the hard drive (which was SATA PORT 0) and the hard drive (SATA PORT1) I guess were shared in some way it caused the other to disappear as well. I swapped it with a working new BDR, no problems.

I see you have 6 HDD, what is the configuration? are you running a raid of some kind?
      No RAID, I don't have any RAID configurable drives. I did some more changing around with another machine that is my HTPC, and I have 7 Hard Drives + 1 Optical + 2 External on this now. Sadly if I want to run a RAID I would need to buy a decent RAID card. The onboard RAID on this machine is SATA ports 4/5 only a 2 HD Raid.

For the ram, I don't any thoughts. the RAM count, is that what you see from the Bios? from within the bios you should be able to see every stick population, is the 4.5mb (18/4) missing equally from all the sticks of is the 18MB missing from one stick?

Have you run Memtestx86?
      Vin

I ran memtest for 31 hours and I had no problems, while it was testing I did some more searching on why this happened and it turns out a lot of people who own the FX-8350 Processor have the same memory count as me (if they are running 32gb) they all claim it has something to do with the CPU. I tested this ram when I got almost a year ago 72 hours no problems, another 31 no problems. To be honest this computer has had no real problems. Once I replaced the optical drive everything kind went back to normal.

Comment

Working...
      X