Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• z87 and Corsair F120 woes.

Sorry for the long post....

So, just upgraded my system with a Z87-U3HP, i5 4670k, 8gb Corsair Vengeance all in a Cooler Master XB case. I redid the partitions on all my drive including the Corsair F120 ssd and changed them from MBR to GPT in accordance to UEFI. The problem is the SSD is not always acknowledged by the motherboard. It seems to be a z87 chipset issue with these SSDs.

It will boot into windows one time and then the SSD won't be detected at all another time. It's completely intermittent, booting once then completely gone the next. This following link describes it perfectly.

Below is pulled from a review by HardOCP of the equivalent Asus board and they had the same exact problem.

"I did have one issue with the Z87-A, as well as every other Z87 chipset motherboard we have used so far. My "old" 120GB Corsair F120 SSDs that we have used for testing motherboards caused big issues. On the ASUS Z87 motherboards, the F120 drives would work, but could be slow or not recognized, or cause boot issues, or simply not been seen by the BIOS or the OS. Plugging the Corsair F120 SSDs into the Intel motherboard shipped with the Core i7-4770K left us with nothing. The Intel motherboard would not see these drives at all. I reported this back to ASUS and it replicated the issue in-house and sent us over a Beta BIOS (as referred to earlier) that fixed the issue".
    HARDOCP - Overclocking & Conclusion - ASUS Z87-A LGA 1150 Motherboard Review

I've upgraded to F4 bios for the board through this site and tried multiple sata cables and ports.

Is Gigabyte aware of this issue with this and other SSDs with similar Sandforce controllers? Above mentioned Asus has a beta bios to resolve this issue but the Gigabyte bios options don't seem to help anything. I've ordered the Asus board mentioned above but would like to keep this gigabyte one. I realize this platform is very young but any info would be great. Thanks.

Re: z87 and Corsair F120 woes.

It's pure Intel problem.
    Some of these Sandforce controllers are non compliant with SATA spec for startup according to Intel.
    As soon Intel release patch or fix,will be also in new GB Beta BIOS.

Btw,
    which board you have?
    From your post this model did not exist yet.

Comment

I'm guessing he means the Z87 D3HP?
      Maximus 8 Hero/6700K @ 4.8/4x4GB LPX @ 3200 15-17-17-36 CR1
      Case Labs SM8 w/dual pedestals / Custom water w/ acrylic pipe / Light box
      PowerColor 390Xw/EK block / Samsung 840 Pro 256GBx2 RAID 0 / 128GBx1 SSD's | 3 HDD's / DVD burner
      Dual Aquaero 5 Pro controllers for pumps & fans / FC9 for led's only 2xD5 pwm w/Bitspower tops - MCP35x2 - 3x480 rads/1x240 rad/AP15 fans / EK supremcy
      Seasonic Platinum 1000w custom fabbed/sleeved psu wiring by me

Wifes: Z77X-UD5H / 3770K w/c with Raystorm copper block & 2 Rads/ Kingston HyperX RAM / Switch 810 case/ PowerColor AX7950 w/EK block
      HTPC: Z68 Pro3 M / 2105

SOLD:Z97X-UD5H /4790K/F11b mod BIOS/[email protected] 4x4GB Kingston Genesis KHX24C11X3K4 2400 RAM 11-13-13-30
      SOLD:Z87X-UD5H /4770K

Comment

Yes sorry for the typo, it is a D3HP. Which is an otherwise great board, wish they had a fix as I'm now forced to abandon it for the Asus option, whom apparently do have a fix. My only alternative is buying a new ssd but I don't want to spent 180-230 bucks right now.

Comment

Originally posted by stasio View Post
          It's pure Intel problem.
          Some of these Sandforce controllers are non compliant with SATA spec for startup according to Intel.
          As soon Intel release patch or fix,will be also in new GB Beta BIOS.

Btw,
          which board you have?
          From your post this model did not exist yet.
          I got the exact same problem as described ;'(

Comment

FWIW, using Intel 520 SSDs (Sandforce controller) with my ASRock Z87 board, I have seen a somewhat similar issue, but not to the extent of those with the Corsair SSD.

What I did discover, is the newest IRST drivers (12.6, 12.7 Beta) seem to be the cause, at least in my case. I changed to IRST 12.5, and the problems ended.

Intel has removed IRST 12.6 from their download pages, 12.5 being the newest version. ASRock still has IRST 12.6 available on their Z87 board's download pages, I have not checked Gigabyte, etc. The IRST 12.7 Beta from StationDrivers was no better IMO.

Are any of you with this problem using IRST 12.6?

Comment

Why would you need to use GPT for 120GB SSD? Just switch back to MRB. Try to turn off UEFI options, switching to Legacy BIOS.
              Make sure also that AHCI is enabled and hot swap - disabled.

Comment

Working...
              X