EP45-UD3R with 3TB support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EP45-UD3R with 3TB support

so i have bought a WD 3TB harddisk to try it out on my old mobo EP45-UD3R. Unfortunately, the bios doesn't show the size of the WD HDD. it only shows zero. Tried updating with latest bios as well as mod but to no avail. Bump for any master for advice. Thanks.

Re: EP45-UD3R with 3TB support

We know nothing about out your hardware, O/S, bios version, etc.

Create a detailed hardware list of all of your installed and connected hardware, and be sure to include brand names, model numbers, sizes, etc. Go to http://forums.tweaktown.com/profile....=editsignature which is the Edit Profile page where you will list all of your hardware information one time. When you are done with the list, click on the Save Signature button. While you are creating the detailed hardware list, you can click on the Preview Signature button at any time.

Look at the amount of detail in my forum signature, this is the type of information we need.
    Including this information will speed things up and solve your problems much sooner.
    Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
    P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
    4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
    MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
    Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
    WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
    SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
    Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
    Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
    Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
    MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
    Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
    HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
    CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
    E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
    Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
    Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
    HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Comment

Sorry, i am unable to get the full specs up.

But this is the basic info that i have with me.

MB: Gigabyte EP45-UD3R Revision 1.0
      BIOS version: 12
      HDD: WD Caviar Green 3TB as a storage, WD 80 GB as primary bootable OS.
      Processor: E8400
      RAM: Kingston 2 x 2048 MB DDR2
      GPU: Radeon HD 5770

Comment

Bump...for help >.<.
        Something worth mentioning though i didn't try it on Jmicron sata slot only on ICH8R sata slot.
        !--</html-->
        Last edited by elnoxvie; 06-02-2013, 11:40 PM.

Comment

Everyone in 2013 know you need an EFI - enabled BIOS to properly see 3TB HDDs. You also need to select GPT scheme when you partition your HD. After that, if your using your HD for storage and you don't plan to install an OS on it, then you can format your HD in NTFS only if you're running Win7 x64 or Win8 x64. You can install an OS on it but u need to install a boot manager capable of booting on a GPT drive like FreeBSD Boot manager, or Grub2 on a MBR active partition. My NAS is P45-UD3P from Gigabyte and my OS is FreeBSD 9.1 and I'm using 2 x 4TB on ZFS. I can access the OS by booting on a USB drive MBR (pmbr) and the pendrive locate gptzfsboot loader on my ZFS Mirror pool.

Comment

I've been hit on numerous devices that just won't work with anything larger than 2TB. Many older RAID cards can only use MBR regardless if the MB bios supports EFI.

what do you have your SATA port assigned as? IDE/AHCI or RAID?

Vin
            Main Rig
            OS = Win10-64Bit
            CPU = Ryzen 1700x Overclocked to 4Ghz with custom water-cooling loop
            Mem = 16GB RAM @ 3200Mhz
            MB = Asus ROG C6H
            GPU = Asus 1080Ti ROG Strix
            HD = 512GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
            PSU = EVGA SuperNOVA 1300w
            Case = Cooler Master HAF-X 945

HTPC / Home Server
            OS = Win7 64Bit running XBMC HTPC Front end with Windows Server 2012 Virtual Machine with 12GB ram assigned for homer server
            CPU = i7-980X @ 3.5Ghz CoolerMasster Hyper 212 Evo
            Mem = 24GB RAM
            MB = Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5 v1.0 with F6 Bios
            GPU = EVGA nVidia GT210
            HD = 2x PNY 120GB Raid 0 (OS)
            Storage = 8TB WD Black Storage
            PSU = Corsair TX750
            Case = Define R5

Comment

Originally posted by Vinster View Post
              I've been hit on numerous devices that just won't work with anything larger than 2TB. Many older RAID cards can only use MBR regardless if the MB bios supports EFI.

what do you have your SATA port assigned as? IDE/AHCI or RAID?

Vin
              I tried both IDE, AHCI and BOTH IDE/RAID options. The BIOS shows the HDD can be detected but when i checked on the BIOS the size being reported is 0 MB, no sign of HDD being detected when i use diskpart to list the HDD. I don't plan to boot from the 3TB HDD but just use it as a storage. Maybe it's due to the EFI support. Is it possible to be added on the Modified BIOS?

Comment

Originally posted by AoEKiller View Post
                Everyone in 2013 know you need an EFI - enabled BIOS to properly see 3TB HDDs. You also need to select GPT scheme when you partition your HD. After that, if your using your HD for storage and you don't plan to install an OS on it, then you can format your HD in NTFS only if you're running Win7 x64 or Win8 x64. You can install an OS on it but u need to install a boot manager capable of booting on a GPT drive like FreeBSD Boot manager, or Grub2 on a MBR active partition. My NAS is P45-UD3P from Gigabyte and my OS is FreeBSD 9.1 and I'm using 2 x 4TB on ZFS. I can access the OS by booting on a USB drive MBR (pmbr) and the pendrive locate gptzfsboot loader on my ZFS Mirror pool.
                I just intend to use it for storage. Not for installing OS but i quess it's like what you said it has to have an EFI BIOS to show the correct size. I was under the impression that P45-UD3P and P45-UD3R has nothing much differents but somehow, i just couldn't get an updated BIOS that works with this 3TB HDD.

Sorry, i am a programmer but don't tinker too much with HW so i am not sure what's the latest tech like in Hardware department.

Thanks for enlightening me. :)

Comment

Do a web search using: ep45 3tb support for some possible solutions.
                  If worse comes to worse, you should be able to format about 2.2GB of usable space in one or more partitions.

Several months ago I bought a 3TB external enclosure for my P35 system.
                  It was formatted as a single 3TB partition and the enclosure has some type of controller that lets it work instantly with XP and newer systems and has a usb 3.0 interface. The first thing I did was to shrink the single partiton down to 1TB, and then added 2 logical partions of ~900MB and ~800MB. I already had a Highpoint usb 3.0 1022A pci-e add-in controller card and I've backed up about 2TB of files and folders so far.
                  HighPoint RocketU 1022A: Low-Cost 5Gb/s Dual-Port USB 3.0 HBA
                  I only plug in the external drive whenever I have files to backup.

You should be able to buy an e-sata or sata controller card aka H.B.A. (Host Bus Adapter) with internal connections if you want your drive to be connected all of the time. The hard drives that come with this type of external enclosures usually have less hard drive cache and somewhat slower rotation speeds compared to higher end hard drives. My Toshiba external drive kit comes with a three year warranty, but it looks like their tech support is virtually non-existent. I wouldn't want to have one of these external kits connected to my system permanently as the quality in these drives is probably similar to cheaper hard drives that only have a one year warranty. I use WD Caviar Black drives in my systems for everyday use.

It might be possible to flash your system with a custom bios that will work with your system. If you can find out what orom files will be needed for your system, you can request a custom bios in the http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte...fied-bios.html thread. I think that you have already posted in that thread.
                  Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
                  P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
                  4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
                  MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
                  Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
                  WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
                  Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
                  SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
                  Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
                  Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
                  Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
                  MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
                  Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
                  win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
                  HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
                  CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
                  E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
                  Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
                  Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
                  HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
                  win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Comment

Working...
                  X