Virtualization and RAM issues with new GA-F2A85X-UP4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Virtualization and RAM issues with new GA-F2A85X-UP4

I've tried every combo of BIOS settings and rebooting I can think of, but havdetectiontool and Parallels Workstation 6 both report that I don't have hardware assisted virtualization. I also can't seem to get my RAM to run higher than 1866 despite upping my NBVID as suggested here GIGABYTE Tech Daily: AMD Trinity Overclocking Guide on GIGABYTE F2A85X-UP4 by der8auer .

Any ideas or suggestions?

Re: Virtualization and RAM issues with new GA-F2A85X-UP4

I can't speak to the virtualization, but what slots do you have the RAM in?

I have 2 older AMB boards and for me to run 1866Mhz I needed to put the ram in Slots 2 and 4. if I put the ram in Slots 1 and 3 I'd get errors with the same settings... I later realized that it was noted in my manual. I failed to read it.

Vin
    Main Rig
    OS = Win10-64Bit
    CPU = Ryzen 1700x Overclocked to 4Ghz with custom water-cooling loop
    Mem = 16GB RAM @ 3200Mhz
    MB = Asus ROG C6H
    GPU = Asus 1080Ti ROG Strix
    HD = 512GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
    PSU = EVGA SuperNOVA 1300w
    Case = Cooler Master HAF-X 945

HTPC / Home Server
    OS = Win7 64Bit running XBMC HTPC Front end with Windows Server 2012 Virtual Machine with 12GB ram assigned for homer server
    CPU = i7-980X @ 3.5Ghz CoolerMasster Hyper 212 Evo
    Mem = 24GB RAM
    MB = Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5 v1.0 with F6 Bios
    GPU = EVGA nVidia GT210
    HD = 2x PNY 120GB Raid 0 (OS)
    Storage = 8TB WD Black Storage
    PSU = Corsair TX750
    Case = Define R5

Comment

Yeah, I see a similar note in my manual, and I just visually confirmed that my DIMMs are in the slots that the manual suggests (assuming the manual is 100% correct).

I did find this (AMD-VwithRVI_Hyper-V_CompatibilityUtility.zip) and ran it with the following results:
      SVM and IOMMU disabled in BIOS: Correctly reported that BIOS support wasn't present or disabled.
      SVM and IOMMU enabled in BIOS: Reports that my processor doesn't support AMD-V.
      Something is clearly wrong here. What are the chances that my board or CPU could be bad in only this respect?

Originally posted by Vinster View Post
      I can't speak to the virtualization, but what slots do you have the RAM in?

I have 2 older AMB boards and for me to run 1866Mhz I needed to put the ram in Slots 2 and 4. if I put the ram in Slots 1 and 3 I'd get errors with the same settings... I later realized that it was noted in my manual. I failed to read it.

Vin

Comment

under CPU options is Virtualization disabled?

Vin
        Main Rig
        OS = Win10-64Bit
        CPU = Ryzen 1700x Overclocked to 4Ghz with custom water-cooling loop
        Mem = 16GB RAM @ 3200Mhz
        MB = Asus ROG C6H
        GPU = Asus 1080Ti ROG Strix
        HD = 512GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
        PSU = EVGA SuperNOVA 1300w
        Case = Cooler Master HAF-X 945

HTPC / Home Server
        OS = Win7 64Bit running XBMC HTPC Front end with Windows Server 2012 Virtual Machine with 12GB ram assigned for homer server
        CPU = i7-980X @ 3.5Ghz CoolerMasster Hyper 212 Evo
        Mem = 24GB RAM
        MB = Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5 v1.0 with F6 Bios
        GPU = EVGA nVidia GT210
        HD = 2x PNY 120GB Raid 0 (OS)
        Storage = 8TB WD Black Storage
        PSU = Corsair TX750
        Case = Define R5

Comment

In the BIOS? I only see two options: SVM and IOMMU.

According to Wikipedia AMD-V is provided by the processor, while IOMMU is provided by the chipset. Since the one tool reports the absence of AMD-V, I'm beginning to think I should look into replacing the CPU.

Originally posted by Vinster View Post
          under CPU options is Virtualization disabled?

Vin

Comment

Try enabling DEP in Windows, and or, properly edit /noexecute=AlwaysOn into the BOOT.ini file.

What I can make of the online manual for this MB, both SVM and IOMMU should be set enabled in BIOS for virtualization. So with both these BIOS options set, try "adding' the above suggestion(s) to Windows to enable the NX bit.
            #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
            ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

Oh. Your RAM issues.

You might peruse the ASRock section here as I seem to remember there is a thread pertaining to no higher than 1866 on A85X based boards. IIRC, ASRock stated that any higher and the on-die graphics would become unstable. Again, that's IIRC.
              #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
              ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

Yeah, DEP is enabled in Windows. I uninstalled Parallels and then enabled SVM and IOMMU, and now both tools report that my system fully supports hardware virtualization. I'm now trying XP Mode, looks like I may need to reinstall it. With any luck this will be a Parallels issue and not hardware.

Originally posted by - wardog - View Post
                Try enabling DEP in Windows, and or, properly edit /noexecute=AlwaysOn into the BOOT.ini file.

What I can make of the online manual for this MB, both SVM and IOMMU should be set enabled in BIOS for virtualization. So with both these BIOS options set, try "adding' the above suggestion(s) to Windows to enable the NX bit.

Comment

Good to hear you're "getting there'.

I should maybe clarify my comment on 1866 and the onboard/on-die graphics.

Again, that was an ASRock statement and may not necessarily pertain to your Gigabyte board. Yet I did notice in your system specs listed you were using the onboard graphics capability so I thought it worth mentioning nonetheless.

Comment

Well thanks everyone.

It seems to have been Parallels all along, which explains why they abandoned the product. Still find it odd that software could so effectively block a hardware feature, especially without any record of the issue on google. I'll keep looking into the RAM speed issue. I did have to track down a MS hotfix for V_PC on bulldozer CPUs, but now I'm pretty happy with everything but Parallels.

Any suggestions on a free VM to replace Parallels? My primary use will be to view a large catalog of old video (not that kind; recordings from previous DVR PCs) with various codecs on a XP client.

Thanks!
                    Last edited by BerMM; 04-01-2013, 08:22 PM.

Comment

Kinda in the out door with this, but have you considered/looked at any of the bootable from USB linux releases?

VirtualBox, Zen, to name a couple.

Comment

Working...
                      X