EP35-DS3R upgrading from 4gb to 8gb ram, Freezes on OS load

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EP35-DS3R upgrading from 4gb to 8gb ram, Freezes on OS load

Hey I have been trying to solve this problem for days, but have been having no luck.

What I did: I bought mushkin silverline 4GB(2x2GB) DDR2 800mHz CLS DIMM and installed it into my computer along side my OCZ 4G (the OCZ in yellow and the Mushkin in red)

What Happens: The OS attempts to boot and then crashes before getting past the splash screen

What I assume: I can have two sets of non paired RAM as long as they are installed on their corresponding color matching channel

What I have Tried: the new memory alone : works, The old memory alone: works, all memory together and upping voltage on the (g)MCH and FBS and DDR : still fails to load on OS startup.

can anyone help me? are these chips just incompatible? I'm pulling out my hair over this.

Re: EP35-DS3R upgrading from 4gb to 8gb ram, Freezes on OS load

If you mix apple and orange.......what you get?

Comment

not very helpful as the specs for the board say only memory on similar channel need to be paired, but I am going to go buy another mushkin set to see if they work together, I was just hoping in the mean time there might be a solution to use my old memory rather than waste it.

Comment

Can you post the proper part numbers for the kits that you have? and have you manually set your timings in the bios or is everything set to auto?

what I'm finding based on your description is one kit is 5-5-5-18 @ 1.8V, the other kit is 5-4-4-15 @ 2.1V

What you need to make sure of is that the memory installed (all of them) have the same spec, timings, voltages, etc... if they are not you have to set your timings to the slowest pairs. if the voltages are not equal, that could be tricky.. then you hope the 2.1v kit will run at 1.9v at a slower speed and the slower kit won't blow up at 1.9v...

it's all about balance...

please post up your actual part numbers and we can go from there....

Vin
        Main Rig
        OS = Win10-64Bit
        CPU = Ryzen 1700x Overclocked to 4Ghz with custom water-cooling loop
        Mem = 16GB RAM @ 3200Mhz
        MB = Asus ROG C6H
        GPU = Asus 1080Ti ROG Strix
        HD = 512GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
        PSU = EVGA SuperNOVA 1300w
        Case = Cooler Master HAF-X 945

HTPC / Home Server
        OS = Win7 64Bit running XBMC HTPC Front end with Windows Server 2012 Virtual Machine with 12GB ram assigned for homer server
        CPU = i7-980X @ 3.5Ghz CoolerMasster Hyper 212 Evo
        Mem = 24GB RAM
        MB = Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5 v1.0 with F6 Bios
        GPU = EVGA nVidia GT210
        HD = 2x PNY 120GB Raid 0 (OS)
        Storage = 8TB WD Black Storage
        PSU = Corsair TX750
        Case = Define R5

Comment

Even with same latency and voltage.........not sure that will work nicely (different IC).

Comment

Yeah everything is set to auto right now, I'm having trouble getting the voltages right.

The part numbers are for the OCZ: OCZ2P8004GK

Your right I neglected to look up the voltage of my old memory, this could be a problem. Would I be Better off buying a second pair of the mushkin for 50 bucks or trying to get this to work?

Comment

Buy one more indentical set with better (lower) latency (5-4-4-15).

Comment

I'm going to try to get the matching mushkin. the ocz platinum i have has been discontinued. we'll see if this fixes the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by stasio View Post
                  Even with same latency and voltage.........not sure that will work nicely (different IC).
                  Ya I know, but lower latency and higher voltage.. but if he were to back them off with lower voltage it may work

Originally posted by Astroboyqu View Post
                  I'm going to try to get the matching mushkin. the ocz platinum i have has been discontinued. we'll see if this fixes the problem.
                  it would work, but your issue is that your settings are auto, the MB is detecting the first pair and setting the timing at tighter values and that doesn't work for the other (slower) kit.

if you were to go in to your Bios and manually set your timings to 5-5-5-18 @ 1.9v I would think it could work. it's worth a try before spending another $50.

Vin
                  Main Rig
                  OS = Win10-64Bit
                  Mem = 16GB RAM @ 3200Mhz
                  MB = Asus ROG C6H

HTPC / Home Server
                  OS = Win7 64Bit running XBMC HTPC Front end with Windows Server 2012 Virtual Machine with 12GB ram assigned for homer server
                  Mem = 24GB RAM
                  GPU = EVGA nVidia GT210
                  PSU = Corsair TX750
                  Case = Define R5

Comment

Originally posted by Vinster View Post
                    Ya I know, but lower latency and higher voltage.. but if he were to back them off with lower voltage it may work

it would work, but your issue is that your settings are auto, the MB is detecting the first pair and setting the timing at tighter values and that doesn't work for the other (slower) kit.

if you were to go in to your Bios and manually set your timings to 5-5-5-18 @ 1.9v I would think it could work. it's worth a try before spending another $50.

Vin
                    Thanks for the help, I've tried it on manual and setting things to the slower, but i can't seem to find an option for setting the actual voltage, i can boost the voltage but thats it. What I have actually decided on doing is returning the new memory I got and I found some of my old memory on ebay and i'm trying to buy that, its only 20 bucks. The memory I use itself is no longer available anywhere.

Comment

ok, in the bios, under voltage control and look for DIMM voltage. default is 1.8v

Vin
                      Main Rig
                      OS = Win10-64Bit
                      Mem = 16GB RAM @ 3200Mhz
                      MB = Asus ROG C6H

HTPC / Home Server
                      Mem = 24GB RAM
                      GPU = EVGA nVidia GT210
                      PSU = Corsair TX750
                      Case = Define R5

Comment

Working...
                      X