X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Their is no sensor

Originally posted by Yiotis_82 View Post
    The answer from OCZ forum

The Vertex 4 does not have a temperature sensor. This is true of most SSDS. The ones that do report a temperature value most times show a preprogrammed value instead of the actual temperature. SSDs produce little heat so the reported temperature is not an important value outside of enterprise applications.
    Ah, the world according to OCZ. It is true that not all SSDs have a temperature sensor for monitoring its temperature. But some do, and they don't have a fixed, pre-programmed value that never changes (like OCZ Vertex 3's do.)

Samsung 830 and 840 SSDs have temperature data that is available in their SMART data, and those temps change, they are not faked, static values.

SanDisk Extreme SSDs also report temperatures, and demonstrate that is possible with SSDs using the SandForce 2281 controller, as they do.

If you are concerned about SSD temperature, mount them on a metal adapter plate (2.5" to 3.5") that contacts as much of their case as possible. Samsung provided a nice aluminum mounting plate with some models of the 830. Intel includes a large steel adapter plate with their SSDs.

Internal pics of SSDs in reviews show that newer models use heat conducting pads between the SSD controller and its case, and some use those pads on the NAND chips too. So there must be some need to dissipate heat from these chips. I've never seen a SSD get any warmer than a few degrees above ambient temperature. I did notice that when running a benchmark on a Samsung SSD, it did get a few degrees warmer than usual, but that is a continuous long term activity on the SSD that usually does not occur in a PC, even for an OS drive.

When used in a laptop PC, SSDs can be much warmer, due to the environment and the lack of air circulation.

Comment

Re: SSD Temperature not showing anywhere

I haven't used Hex in so long I don't even remember how to read it.
      IP's and subnets in binary still confuse hell out of me, and binary is pretty easy to read.
      Maximus 8 Hero/6700K @ 4.8/4x4GB LPX @ 3200 15-17-17-36 CR1
      Case Labs SM8 w/dual pedestals / Custom water w/ acrylic pipe / Light box
      PowerColor 390Xw/EK block / Samsung 840 Pro 256GBx2 RAID 0 / 128GBx1 SSD's | 3 HDD's / DVD burner
      Dual Aquaero 5 Pro controllers for pumps & fans / FC9 for led's only 2xD5 pwm w/Bitspower tops - MCP35x2 - 3x480 rads/1x240 rad/AP15 fans / EK supremcy
      Seasonic Platinum 1000w custom fabbed/sleeved psu wiring by me

Wifes: Z77X-UD5H / 3770K w/c with Raystorm copper block & 2 Rads/ Kingston HyperX RAM / Switch 810 case/ PowerColor AX7950 w/EK block
      HTPC: Z68 Pro3 M / 2105

SOLD:Z97X-UD5H /4790K/F11b mod BIOS/[email protected] 4x4GB Kingston Genesis KHX24C11X3K4 2400 RAM 11-13-13-30
      SOLD:Z87X-UD5H /4770K

Comment

Re: SSD Temperature not showing anywhere

Binary can be a direct interpretation of a womans' mood.... High-Low-high-low-low-high-HIGH-LOW-LOWWWWWWWW

wow, we went a little off-topic... sorry...

Vin
        Main Rig
        OS = Win10-64Bit
        CPU = Ryzen 1700x Overclocked to 4Ghz with custom water-cooling loop
        Mem = 16GB RAM @ 3200Mhz
        MB = Asus ROG C6H
        GPU = Asus 1080Ti ROG Strix
        HD = 512GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
        PSU = EVGA SuperNOVA 1300w
        Case = Cooler Master HAF-X 945

HTPC / Home Server
        OS = Win7 64Bit running XBMC HTPC Front end with Windows Server 2012 Virtual Machine with 12GB ram assigned for homer server
        CPU = i7-980X @ 3.5Ghz CoolerMasster Hyper 212 Evo
        Mem = 24GB RAM
        MB = Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5 v1.0 with F6 Bios
        GPU = EVGA nVidia GT210
        HD = 2x PNY 120GB Raid 0 (OS)
        Storage = 8TB WD Black Storage
        PSU = Corsair TX750
        Case = Define R5

Comment

Working...
        X