Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Z68X-UD3H-B3 Rev. 1.0 Boot loop/failure with UEFI U1h or U1j randomly

Hi everyone,

First time posting but I have been a reader of Tweaktown forums for years. Glad to finally join the family.

Now, I tried to search for my problem for months but still haven't found a solid answer, so I've resorted to starting a thread. I guess my google skills need work so I'm much obliged for any help.

My Z68X was running on F12 BIOS, but I've decided to flash it to U1h using the included utility. Everything went well and had no problems. However, sometimes after I shut down my computer and turn it on the next day. My PC would just shut down by itself before POST and restarts. During restart, the POST would complete then shut off again, and restarts again. This time it would POST to a blank Gigabyte UEFI screen, then after an unusually long time (about 20-30 seconds) the computer would boot up normally. This boot failure (which seems like i lost power in the middle of POSTing, but my PSU is fine under F12) would happen 2-3 or more times before it properly boots.

This also doesn't happen on every power on attempt either. It just sometimes happens and the difficulty to consistently repeat the failure makes it very hard to diagnose. The number of time it "power fails" is also inconsistent, ranging from 1 to 5 or more times before it successfully boots. However, it doesn't always successfully boot either! Sometimes it just gets stuck on a blank UEFI screen. Sometimes it will tell me to reset to optimal settings. Sometimes it wears a dress.

Now I should mention that I CAN access the UEFI options and such. Of course the only missing is LLC option, but everything else and then some is there. I really enjoy the faster boot from the UEFI so I would like to keep it. Worst comes to worst, I will and know how to flash back to F12, but I rather wear a dress.

I have problems resuming from sleep as well. It sometimes hang on black screen or no screen at all. Then again, it's inconsistent enough that I can't easily repeat it.

Is there some brain dead solution that I just missed or is it some problem with the UEFI bios? I would imagine that U1H would work perfectly since it's officially released but I'm just stumped.

I truly appreciate your time for reading and helping me. Thank you.

Re: Z68X-UD3H-B3 Rev. 1.0 Boot loop/failure with UEFI U1h or U1j randomly

I don't have any experience with UEFI bios's but with boot loops and traditional Bios's I'd re-flash it with the same bios. Sometimes things go weird with no explanation.

secondly are you overclocking at all? or are you running your CPU at spec? also are any of the voltages different now compared to before?

Vin
    Main Rig
    OS = Win10-64Bit
    CPU = Ryzen 1700x Overclocked to 4Ghz with custom water-cooling loop
    Mem = 16GB RAM @ 3200Mhz
    MB = Asus ROG C6H
    GPU = Asus 1080Ti ROG Strix
    HD = 512GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
    PSU = EVGA SuperNOVA 1300w
    Case = Cooler Master HAF-X 945

HTPC / Home Server
    OS = Win7 64Bit running XBMC HTPC Front end with Windows Server 2012 Virtual Machine with 12GB ram assigned for homer server
    CPU = i7-980X @ 3.5Ghz CoolerMasster Hyper 212 Evo
    Mem = 24GB RAM
    MB = Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5 v1.0 with F6 Bios
    GPU = EVGA nVidia GT210
    HD = 2x PNY 120GB Raid 0 (OS)
    Storage = 8TB WD Black Storage
    PSU = Corsair TX750
    Case = Define R5

Comment

Same thing happens to my Z68XP-UD4 with UEFI, and others as well. If you don't need UEFI for large hard drives, I'd go back to Award BIOS.

http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte...loop-uefi.html

Comment

I don't have any overclocks on right now, but I've gone both ways.

Comment

Working...
        X