EP45-UD3P v1.6 Post beeping when shutting down or even restart

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: EP45-UD3P v1.6 Post beeping when shutting down or even restart

I will find a floppy cable and download the BIOS file from another country and try again. The brand of PSU is an Ultra LSP 450 and it's 2 months old. My GPU is a Asus 6670, HDD is a 40GB Fujitsu and RAM is Patriot PC2-9200 2GB kit (2x1gb). Case is an Corsair 200R brand new. CPU is an Core 2 Duo E7500.

Comment

Originally posted by alamakluke View Post
      I will find a floppy cable and download the BIOS file from another country and try again. The brand of PSU is an Ultra LSP 450 and it's 2 months old. My GPU is a Asus 6670, HDD is a 40GB Fujitsu and RAM is Patriot PC2-9200 2GB kit (2x1gb). Case is an Corsair 200R brand new. CPU is an Core 2 Duo E7500.
      Actually I really doubt a floppy will solve your problem... Is this a used board?

Comment

Yes it is a used board, I bought it from ebay. I contacted the seller and ask him how he flashed the BIOS and he doesn't remember since it's been so long. Bios FD was released in 2009. :)

Comment

I think I would ask him for a refund of your money as apparently it's messed up.... There is a way you can unbrick the bios but I'm not sure how to do it...

EDIT: I would almost guess they used @BIOS to flash the bios...Which you should never do with these boards... He may have selective memory on this issue...LOL

EDIT 2: You just might need that floppy... Read this from the Bios flashing guide... You do have a Dual Bios

EDIT 3: Might have a look at this thread...http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte...ng-failed.html

Code:
          Attempting to Recover From a Bad Flash or Corrupt BootBlock

Corrupt BIOS BootBlock? It can happen to the best of us!!

There is but only a FEW things you can try to do before you will have to RMA your board if you get a Bad BootBlock or Scanning Hard Drive for BIOS error message. 

This can be causes by any number of things, @BIOS, a Bad Flash, a Flash to the incorrect BIOS, a Power interruption during a flash... The list goes on.

Here is a few things you can try in a attempt to recover your BIOS. 

*NOTE*
           You MUST have a Floppy Disk Drive installed and set as First Boot Device, BEFORE your system failure. It will not help you at all to try to install one after a BIOS error in a attempt to fix it with these methods.

1. Make a bootable floopy disk by formatting a floppy disk and choosing Create a MS-DOS startup disk in the format options

2. Copy the Award flash utility (Flash895) & BIOS file (.Fxx) to the floppy disk

3. Create an autoexec.bat with “flash895 bios_file_example_name.Fxx” in the content of the batch file, (without the quotes “ ”). 

Yes the space is there and is necessary! 
          (Example: flash895 gap35ds4.F12)

4. Boot the system with the floppy (it will take a few minutes before screen comes out)

5. Re-flash the BIOS & reboot.

Here is how to create an autoexec.bat File
           1. In Windows, open NotePad
           2. In NotePad, write “flash895 gap35ds4.F12″ (without the quotes “ ”)
           3. Save the file as autoexec.bat

Or

The AWARD BIOS does not automatically restore the BIOS information to the BootBlock. You will need to write the commands necessary to flash the BIOS into the Autoexec.bat file. 

The system will run the Autoexec.bat file, which contains the flash instructions.

How To:

1. Create a bootable floppy disk as noted above

2. Copy the BIOS file (.Fxx) and flash utility (Flash895) to the disk

3. Create an text file with any standard text editor and add the following lines (Name it Autoexec.bat after editing)

@ECHO OFF

flash895 gap35ds4.F12 /py/sn/f/cc/r

The AWDFLASH.EXE (Flash895) command switch modifiers used above are explained below:
           /CC = clear CMOS data after programming.
           /CD = clear DMI data after programming.
           /CP = clear PnP (ESCD) data after programming.
           /QI = use BIOS I.D. string from BIOS .bin file.
           /R = reset system after programming.
           /PY = program flash memory.
           /F = Flash BIOS
           /SN = don't save existing BIOS.

* FYI FlashSPI Switches *

Quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          /C - Clear DMI pool data
           /D - Load CMOS defaults
           /E - Clear CMOS
           /R - Reboot System
           /S - Save Original 
          --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To view all of the modifiers for AWDFLASH.EXE, type the following at a DOS prompt:

AWDFLASH.EXE /?

And finally, if all of that fails here is one last page, with similar but more in depth methods, keep in mind you will need to change some of the commands listed on this page to match the files you will be using. Change them similar to th above ones. Like if .BIN is discussed it means use .Fxx in it's place, if awardflash is discussed use Flash895 in it's place. The page was written for older BIOS's but all of the same still applies in this instance of Flash Recovery

(*Note* I have this webpage on my hard drive should it ever go down, if so someone please PM me and let me know)

Award 6.0 BIOS - BootBlock Recovery

Suggestions are more then welcome if you guys think I missed anything or need to address something further.

Hope this at least will help some people a bit, and HOPEFULLY save a few from a BAD @BIOS Flash or Otherwise!

[COLOR="#FF0000"][B]BIOS Recover Method Via Manually Invoking BACKUP BIOS Auto-Recovery
           Using Power Supply - On/Off Switch[/B][/COLOR] It is possible to make the BIOS Auto-Recovery kick in (Dual BIOS) and re-flash the MAIN BIOS with the contents of the BACKUP BIOS.

This is a simple and easy method for anyone to try before having to resort to other more difficult methods, or a RMA.

1. Shut off the power supply using the switch on the back of the PSU, wait 10-15 seconds.
           2. Press and hold the case Power On swtich, then while still holding turn on the power supply from the switch on the rear.
           3. Still holding the case power on switch, the board will start, once it does release the case power on switch and shut off the power supply via the switch on the read of the unit. (Do the latter two parts as quickly as you can once the board starts)
           4. The board will shut down.
           5. Turn the power supply back on using the switch on the rear of the unit.
           6. Turn on the motherboard by pressing the case power on button.

Once the board starts this time you should see the Gigabyte splash screen, or POST page, then the Auto-Recovery from Dual BIOS will kick in. You will see a checksum error, and then recovery from BACKUP BIOS will begin. Once it is done reboot your machine and enter the BIOS and load optimized defaults then save/apply/reboot back to BIOS. 

Now you are done, and will be using whatever BIOS was in your BACKUP BIOS, From there you can attempt whatever you were previously trying, or update your BIOS to the latest version. 

If updating please use Qflash!!

This only applies to Dual BIOS Motherboards.
          Last edited by CDS Foley; 01-30-2013, 08:23 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the info. I will try BIOS Recover Method Via Manually Invoking BACKUP BIOS Auto-Recovery method since I cannot find a good floppy disk :( I will update the thread once I am done with the results... crossing my fingers and toes

Comment

I can't seem to do it, I am following the instructions to the letter, but my BIOS will not recover from the backup BIOS, it just boots right into windows. arg!! I even tried flashing BIOS FB and it fails as well.
              Last edited by alamakluke; 01-30-2013, 09:21 PM.

Comment

Another thing, when they talk about flash895, I don't see that executable when I download the FFb BIOS, but I see the FLASHSPI.exe file. So do I just upload the FLASHSPI.exe and the FFb BIOS file and the autoexec.bat file into my MS-DOS floppy?

Comment

I've tried to flash the BIOS using a floppy disk and I also copied the BIOS file from Asia instead of America and I still get the same error at 64KB "Flash Erase Failed at FF5FFFFC".

What does that mean?

Comment

Now I have tried to flash the BIOS 4 times, and the last 3 times, I don't get an error like I did the first time, but the application is still not flashing the BIOS with FFb it just starts loading the BIOS file and then the PC just reboots.

I figured it out, if I don't put any switches with flashspi then I get the error "FF5FFFFC". If I do put some switches like /C /R etc... then I don't get an error my my PC just reboots. I then tried Q-flash thinking that it might work but I am still getting an error. It's almost like it cannot erase the old BIOS.
                    Last edited by alamakluke; 01-30-2013, 10:40 PM.

Comment

I even tried shorting out pin 5-6 multiples times, nothing, I tried shorting pin 4 and 7 and it recovered from the backup BIOS, and it still shows FD. So I am guessing that the backup BIOS is FD as well? That really sucks... I have removed the CMOS battery, unplug the power from the PSU, shutdown the PC and using a jumper and clearing the CMOS. I will leave it over night and try again in the morning.

Comment

Well started up my system again this morning to no prevail. Now I am thinking that it might be my backup BIOS is that messed up. I tried shorting out pin 4 and 7 again this morning and I did see a screen pop up but it was so quick that I did not have a chance to read it, but what I did see was something like NO DPA available, flash BIOS from backup successfully or something like that. But I still cannot flash the BIOS and also I cannot save any CMOS settings to the BIOS.

Comment

Should I try @BIOS and see if I can flash FFb? I really don't want to, but that something that I have not tried yet!

Comment

Hello
                            I dont know if the bios is gone .or whatever or if you can still get into the bios or have the gigabyte loading graffix pop up but.
                            Load optimised defaults.
                            Save and reload to bios screen.enter MIT to check all the figures are as they should be and that there isnt a red screen when you enter MIT saying there was a failure to boot.
                            If there is a red screen try loading optimised defaults again and make sure there is no red screen.

Try updating the bios with legacy usb turned off or on..try both and see what happens

If you can get to the gigabyte logo screen only try the flash from there
                            I allways used a front usb for it,make sure the usb stick is..fat 32 I think..()

It should look like this..by like this I mean it should have as in my case 3 bioses or however many u have and the flash sp1 application on it in the root drive.
                            Dont worry about the other files you see there or the red lines..thats my bios image and boards bioses stick.

That hdd is very tiny also for win7

Click image for larger version

Name:	Usb pic.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	114.3 KB
ID:	753504
                            Last edited by kick; 01-31-2013, 10:08 AM.
                            Current Systems:

Asrock p67 Extreme6.............. Gigabyte EP-45 UD3 ...................... Gigabyte 73 PVM S2
                            Intel i5 2500k 4.8ghz................ Intel Q8400 3.8ghz......................... Intel D820 2.8ghz
                            Zalman 10x cooler.................... Coolermaster V8............................ HP cooler
                            8GB Gskill ripjaw ddr3.............. 4GB Gskill PI ddr2.......................... 4GB samsung ddr2
                            60GB ssd/500GB HDD .............. WD 1TB hdd.................................... Seagate 160GB hdd
                            GTX 460 1GB x2 SLI ................. Msi 9600GT 512MB(died) ........... Onboard gx
                            Win7 64 ,750w psu(ocz)............ Win7 64 ,520w psu,seasonic...... Win XP pro ,400w psu

HEC 6A34 case . ....................... Jeantec R2 case............................ Packard Bell case

hoping to upgrade to http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/41/habicase.shtml
                            http://www.flixya.com/video/140325/Animal-launching

Comment

I think that the message was No HPA available which probably refers to the Hidden Partition Area and this is where some motherboards store a saved copy of the bios. This is sometimes an option in the bios where you can enable or disable saving a copy of the bios in the HPA.

Using @BIOS for flashing has bricked many older motherboards when the flash failed.
                              The last resort procedure has saved some bricked motherboards.
                              Nothing has worked so far and bricking your board now might be the final straw.

I was helping in another thread last year where the OP couldn't borrow any hardware for testing. His symptoms were that his motherboard wouldn't boot and his only choice was to take it to a local repair shop. I told him to bring his power supply with him for additional testing. It turned out that he didn't have to RMA his motherboard; it was the power supply that was causing his problems.
                              Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
                              P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
                              4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
                              MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
                              Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
                              WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
                              Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
                              SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
                              Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
                              Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
                              Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
                              MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
                              Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
                              win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
                              HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
                              CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
                              E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
                              Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
                              Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
                              HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
                              win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Comment

thanks all for your replies. I have lent the system to Vinster (friend of mine) and he is going to try his luck with it. He tried a different PSU and that did not help. He also tried flashing the BIOS with an the old AWDFLASH application and that did not work. I don't get any red alerts in MIT at all, never did. Legacy USB hmmm... I had to have mine on so that I can use my USB keyboard, but Vinster has a PS2 keyboard so he can try with the setting being OFF. I will check with him on that later. Hopefully he will be inputting an update shortly. The HDD is small yes, I just used 1 platter drive that I had available, it will be changed with a Kingston SSD 128GB very shortly after I get this BIOS issue sorted out.

The last resort procedure I think I have done it multiple times last night and this morning before bringing the PC to Vinster. Can someone share exactly how to do it? I've read many different ways of doing it. Like some say your system needs to be ON before shorting out the pins, some say that the system needs to be OFF before shorting out the pins and when still shorting out the pins then power on the PC... that's how I have done it,but maybe that is not the right way?

Vinster tried flashing FA, FB and FFb and they all fail. Also I have never been able to save the CMOS settings to BIOS (using F11). I type the name that I want to safe my CMOS and hit the "enter" key and my screen just goes back and never saves my CMOS with the name that I picked.
                                Last edited by alamakluke; 01-31-2013, 02:31 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X