Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GA-X58A-UD7 rev 2 memory / uncore OC stability trouble.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: GA-X58A-UD7 rev 2 memory / uncore OC stability trouble.

so it was dram termination too low? i keep forgetting your using a 6core and not a 920/4 core cpu,those chips can run lower qpi/vtt compared to the four core cpu's,the uncore freq can be lower than 2x ram multi aswell,this will help
    Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
    Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
    Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
    Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
    1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
    1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
    K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
    L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
    Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
    Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Well...I can not say yes yet directly, but definately it changed a lot, now i can go for lower QPI/VTT and higher uncore frequency.
      And yes, i perfectly know that 970 6 core CPU can go lower than DRAM / 2, but don't forget taht the goal of my OC is:
      The Goal of my OC is to have completely stable 24/7 system with one of those:
      1. BCLK 143 mHz, uncore at least x24 preferably x25-x27, x14 memory multiplier = 2002 mHz memory.
      2. BCLK 138 mHz, uncore at least x25 preferably x26-x27, x14 memory multiplier = 1932 mHz memory.
      Yet - i can run stable 2, but with 1 (143 BCLK) i need more extreme QPI/VTT to run at least x26 uncore.

Now i use 140 mHz BCLK, x26 uncore, 1.455 V QPI/VTT, 1,38125 V CPU Vcore, 1.180 V IOH core.

So far - pretty stable, will have to see how it will be after stress tests...
      Last edited by failure13; 12-10-2012, 06:48 AM.

Comment

I found that on higher than 136 BCLK when i set DRAM to 1.66 V (mb bios sensor, and all possible voltage measuring software all shows actual 1.61 V) - it's seem to be not enough (according to perfomance at least, especially it's noticeable in video games).
        But when i set next notch (sadly my motherboard's next is already 1.68 V, huge leap already for such sensitive hardware as memory.. (actual reported as 1.645 V which ~ = to my dram spec of 1.65 V), so when i set it, everything seems to be allright, but after few hours under heavy load i can get 0x124, my guess - is that it's operating normally as it should, but in some cases it overvolts a tiny bit - and this leads to crash.

Question is - considering what i have said above, if i will raise DRAM termination's and vrefs voltages 1-2 nothces more than DRAM / 2 value, won't it improve stability of memory?

P.S. Oh, and also i found that if you use 143 BLCK on my system (= 2002 mHz memory) - it's utterly impossible to detect whole 12 Gb without setting 1.68 V DRAM on my system...
        Going beyond 2002 mHz seem to be impossible at all. I was trying to add QPI/VTT 1.515 V and higher vcore, without luck. Always sees either 4Gb either 8Gb, but not 12.
        So my maximum reasonable DRAM frequency is 2002 mHz.
        Last edited by failure13; 12-10-2012, 07:03 AM.

Comment

So still, anyone got a clue of why when i play GTA IV with overlcoked memory - i got noticeable effect of, which i can describe as: "ingame objects appear too close / right in your face"...?
          In theory if you up voltage somewhere - then somewhere it can go down...But where should i look? What should i try?

Please help me to solve this guys!

Comment

I'm a little late in the game and have not read the whole thread. But...

Originally posted by failure13 View Post
            So my maximum reasonable DRAM frequency is 2002 mHz.
            This is the case for I'd say 90% of the x58 population and it's up to your CPU if it'll let you play any higher...

Originally posted by failure13 View Post
            So still, anyone got a clue of why when i play GTA IV with overlcoked memory - i got noticeable effect of, which i can describe as: "ingame objects appear too close / right in your face"...?
            In theory if you up voltage somewhere - then somewhere it can go down...But where should i look? What should i try?

Please help me to solve this guys!
            Can you provide a screenshot of this issue? if you are using MSI Afterburner to Overclock your GPU, in the settings you can configure a key to take screenshots for you and it will put them in a folder you specify...

Vin
            Main Rig
            OS = Win10-64Bit
            CPU = Ryzen 1700x Overclocked to 4Ghz with custom water-cooling loop
            Mem = 16GB RAM @ 3200Mhz
            MB = Asus ROG C6H
            GPU = Asus 1080Ti ROG Strix
            HD = 512GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
            PSU = EVGA SuperNOVA 1300w
            Case = Cooler Master HAF-X 945

HTPC / Home Server
            OS = Win7 64Bit running XBMC HTPC Front end with Windows Server 2012 Virtual Machine with 12GB ram assigned for homer server
            CPU = i7-980X @ 3.5Ghz CoolerMasster Hyper 212 Evo
            Mem = 24GB RAM
            MB = Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5 v1.0 with F6 Bios
            GPU = EVGA nVidia GT210
            HD = 2x PNY 120GB Raid 0 (OS)
            Storage = 8TB WD Black Storage
            PSU = Corsair TX750
            Case = Define R5

Comment

Vinster
              It's never too late ;)

No, my videocard is factory overclocked, i don't use anything additional like Afterburner, you can see my full PC specs in profile.

It looks like this (video was shoted some time ago when i was pushing my system to the maximum, now it's a bit better, but still):
              GTA IV - YouTube
              Check 00:16 - 00:17 moment, it's very illustrative, object have appeared right in my face :(
              And this is much more noticeable when you're actually playing, then on video, of coure...

I was thinking of 3 main possible cause:
              1) After overclock something goes off with videocard (undervoltage, but where?), probably PCI-E lanes? If i'm correct, data is transfered from RAM to video card through northbridge and then goes to PCI-E?
              2) Hard drive maybe? I got pretty powerfull SATA II, 10000rpm WD for the system, it outperforms all of my other harddrives easily...But since i got 4 hard drives, and 2 usb devices (midi controllers for music, which is powering from USB), this why i thought maybe i need extra voltage on southbridge? I've added a bit to ICH Core, now it's 1.14 V, haven't helped too much.
              3) I'm just thinking of maybe i need to raise DRAM termination's and vrefs voltages 1-2 nothces more than DRAM / 2 value, won't it improve stability of memory? Maybe it's just a bit undervoltage in there?
              Last edited by failure13; 12-15-2012, 02:54 AM.

Comment

I see that as more of a software bug over hardware.

ya the shed appeared but then you couldn't blow up the car with a rocket when the car was there.

that game is DX9, I'd try an older driver to see if it still does it. you can get 266.77 from gigabit's site under drivers for your card; GIGABYTE - Graphics Card - NVIDIA - PCI Express Solution - GeForce 500 Series - GV-N580UD-15I (rev. 1.0)

I'd try that before playing with any hardware adjustments.

Vin
                Main Rig
                OS = Win10-64Bit
                Mem = 16GB RAM @ 3200Mhz
                MB = Asus ROG C6H

HTPC / Home Server
                OS = Win7 64Bit running XBMC HTPC Front end with Windows Server 2012 Virtual Machine with 12GB ram assigned for homer server
                Mem = 24GB RAM
                GPU = EVGA nVidia GT210
                PSU = Corsair TX750
                Case = Define R5

Comment

ya the shed appeared but then you couldn't blow up the car with a rocket when the car was there.
                  Now that's typical GTA IV bug, it's not a problem, but when objects appears - it's not typical at all, believe me, i have played it not on single system :)
                  And yeah, that was what i thinking first - driver, i was trying every driver from oldest my card can eat, to newest (include beta), i have tryed completly fresh install, nex direct x etc etc.
                  Oh yeah, i have even changed 3 completely different GTX580 cards, thought it was card itself - but no. So it's kinda related to something else.

I think it's related somehow to os, coz sometimes it is much better, sometimes it is like on video, but i don't understand what exactly make it better..I could see a little bit of improvements when upping PCI-E voltage 1-2 notch, but it's not complete...

So, speaking of direct question, what exactly feeds videocard data stream in bios?

Comment

ok, i would had pinned it to a driver or Physx issue, if you have already tried rebuilding the OS and also different drivers from new to old... I'm not sure what else to try.

and I'm sure you already applied all the patches for the game and are also possibly running it in compatibility mode?

what other games to you have this issue with or is it just this game?

Vin
                    Main Rig
                    OS = Win10-64Bit
                    Mem = 16GB RAM @ 3200Mhz
                    MB = Asus ROG C6H

HTPC / Home Server
                    Mem = 24GB RAM
                    GPU = EVGA nVidia GT210
                    PSU = Corsair TX750
                    Case = Define R5

Comment

Vinster
                      Every game, except those who doesn't have dynamic LevelOfDetail system at all (like Hard reset for example, it loads whole level at once, everything).
                      Yes, of course i've tried patches and different graphical settings, it's not the cause.

What i think - not enough voltage somewhere, and i got reason for this, sometime when i had set PCI-E voltage few notches up - it have become a LOT better, but i was just afraid to go on, because i don't understand how exactly feeding of data to videocard goes, or what videocard related voltages exactly do, that's why i'm here.

P.S. I got pretty weird problem, now i'm on default 133 mHz BLCK, CPU Vcore 1.35 V, QPI/VTT 1.395 V (also tried 1.415 V), x14 memory = just 1862 mHz, default timings manually, uncore set to x24 = 3192.
                      OCCT low data rate / Linpack -12 hours no BSOD, BUT...When i use OCCT large data rate i got errors in 5 minutes O_O
                      What to try? What exactly this error could mean? (except some kind of low-level instability, i mean what exactly could it mean in terms of my BIOS settings)
                      My settings now is so basic, almost deafult...Something is off clearly.

lamviec952
                      lolwhat?))

Comment

Have you verified that the CPU is properly seated and that all the pins in the CPU socket are intact? and have you re-run Memtestx86 to confirm that your memory isn't causing any issues in the high end of the memory map?

OCCT errors during Large Data Rates leads me to look at that.

Vin
                        Main Rig
                        OS = Win10-64Bit
                        Mem = 16GB RAM @ 3200Mhz
                        MB = Asus ROG C6H

HTPC / Home Server
                        Mem = 24GB RAM
                        GPU = EVGA nVidia GT210
                        PSU = Corsair TX750
                        Case = Define R5

Comment

Have you verified that the CPU is properly seated and that all the pins in the CPU socket are intact?
                          Double checked. everything is fine here, same with memory, seats perfectly.
                          and have you re-run Memtestx86 to confirm that your memory isn't causing any issues in the high end of the memory map?
                          Few days ago i've done memtest - everything was fine.

P.S. Why ET6 still shows that dram termination and vrefs are 0.75 V, but they're actually not?
                          Maybe my system still forces somehow 0.75 V even after i apply 0.83 V through bios?
                          Or is it just another stupid bug from ET6 utility? :D

Comment

I never used ET6, it was way too buggy for me on my AMD 790, 890 and also x58 boards, I just stayed away from it.

I always used other tools, but for voltage monitoring, if it wasn't in HWMonitor, I didn't need it in windows personally.

Vin
                            Main Rig
                            OS = Win10-64Bit
                            Mem = 16GB RAM @ 3200Mhz
                            MB = Asus ROG C6H

HTPC / Home Server
                            Mem = 24GB RAM
                            GPU = EVGA nVidia GT210
                            PSU = Corsair TX750
                            Case = Define R5

Comment

Well then i ran out of ideas :(
                              Any help further help would be appreciated...

Comment

In my case: this is utterly minimum BIOS voltages for default setting and memory x14, that can pass OCCT with large data rate 12 hours without error:
                                Code:
                                Advanced CPU Features:
                                CPU Clock Ratio....................................[24]  (3.192 GHz)
                                Intel(R) Turbo Boost Tech....................[disabled]
                                CPU Cores Enabled...............................[All]
                                CPU Multi Threading............................[enabled]
                                CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E).....................[disabled]
                                C3/C6/C7 State Support.......................[disabled]
                                CPU Thermal Monitor..........................[disabled]
                                CPU EIST Function................................[enabled]
                                Bi-Directional PROCHOT......................[enabled]

QPI Clock Ratio....................................[x36]  (4.788 GHz)
                                Uncore Clock Ratio…………………………….[x21] (2793 MHz)
                                Isonchronous Support……………………….[enabled]
                                Virtualization Technology………………….[enabled]

Standard Clock Control:
                                Base Clock (BCLK) Control………………….[133 MHz]
                                PCI Express Frequency (MHz)…………...[100 MHz]

Advanced Clock Control:
                                CPU Clock Drive………………………………….[800 mV]
                                PCI Express Clock Drive………………………[900 mV]
                                CPU Clock Skew……………………………….…[0ps]
                                IOH Clock Skew………………………………….[0ps]

Advanced DRAM Features:
                                Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P)……….[disabled]
                                Performance Enhance………………………..[standard]
                                System Memory Multiplier (SPD)……….[14]  (1862 MHz)
                                DRAM Timing Selectable (SPD)…………..[expert]

Channel A / B /C Timing Settings:
                                CAS Latency Time……………………………….[8]
                                tRCD……………………………………………………[9]
                                tRP……………………………………………………..[8]
                                tRAS…………………………………..................[24]
                                CR……………………………………………………….[2]

Advanced Voltage Control:
                                Load Line Calibration………………………….[standard]
                                CPU Vcore………………………………………….[1.33125v]
                                QPI/VTT Voltage 1.150v……………………..[1.395v]
                                CPU PLL 1.800v…………………………………..[1.800v]
                                PCIE 1.500v…………………………………………[1.500v]
                                QPI PLL 1.100v……………………………………[1.100v]
                                IOH Core 1.100v…………………………….……[1.100v]
                                ICH I/O 1.500v…………………………………….[1.500v]
                                ICH Core 1.1v……………………………………..[1.100v]

DRAM Voltage 1.500v……………………..…[1.660v]
                                DRAM Termination 0.750v…………………[0.830v]
                                Ch-A Data VRef. 0.750v………………………[0.830v]
                                Ch-B Data VRef. 0.750v………………………[0.830v]
                                Ch-C Data VRef. 0.750v………………………[0.830v]
                                Ch-A Address VRef. 0.750v………………..[0.830v]
                                Ch-B Address VRef. 0.750v………………..[0.830v]
                                Ch-C Address VRef. 0.750v………………..[0.830v]
                                Extremely hard QPI/VTT for default x21 uncore...
                                I'm kind of disappointed.

I also tested that same CPU Vcore is enough for BCLK 143mHz, to pass 12 hours (with x12 mem multiplier, to exclude memory)
                                But when i try same default settings for 133mHz BCLK that are listed above, with the only difference that i set uncore (just!!!) to x22 - i got OCCT large data rate error with QPI/VTT 1.395V, with 1.415 V and even with next notch up also...

Maybe when uncore is set to higher than x21 i also need to add vcore?
                                I would still like to go at least for x24-x26 stable uncore.

Please, any advices?
                                Last edited by failure13; 12-24-2012, 07:10 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X