Will GA-X58A-UD3R support GV-670OC-2GD GPU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Will GA-X58A-UD3R support GV-670OC-2GD GPU

I've also managed eventually to copy main BIOS to backup BIOS so they are both at version FH. As expected this made no difference to the problem unless clearing CMOS might make some difference after the copy. That's my next test and then I think I've run out of ideas.
    MB: GA-X58A-UD3R (Rev 2.0) BIOS Version: FH
    CPU: I7 950 @ 3.06GHz
    PSU: Coolermaster Silent Pro Hybrid 80+ Gold, 850W
    GPU: Gigabyte GTX 580
    Mem: Crucial 1333 DDR3

Comment

tried latest nvidia drivers? just came out

Drivers | GeForce
      Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
      Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
      Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
      Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
      1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
      1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
      Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
      Razer Lycosa Keyboard
      Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
      Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
      K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
      L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
      Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
      Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
      http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
      Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by wazza300 View Post
        tried latest nvidia drivers? just came out

Drivers | GeForce
        No, I haven't but don't see that will make any difference - the problem rears its ugly head before the drivers are loaded. That is, I don't get any video signal UNTIL the drivers are loaded then I'm presented with the Windows login screen.

But I will install them anyway for the day when I've put the boot problem to bed.

Thanks,

George

Comment

Originally posted by grn View Post
          No, I haven't but don't see that will make any difference - the problem rears its ugly head before the drivers are loaded. That is, I don't get any video signal UNTIL the drivers are loaded then I'm presented with the Windows login screen.
          you never mentionned that you were using a KVM... I would had you remove it all together to rule it out.

The issue of not getting a video until windows loads it due to you not using the default display. What port are you using on the GPU? do you have 2 GPU's? this issue is 1 of 2 things...

if using DVI try using the other DVI port on the graphics card, see if that works (what you may see in your resolution selection menu from windows, click the identify button... I bet you'll see "2" and not "1" meaning that you are actively using the alternative display output)....

if that didn't do it, secondly in the bios set the default video display to PEG1 or PEG2 (whichever you have it plugged in too). I bet it's set to PCI... but you won't see the bios because the default display is not loaded... try the GPU in a different PCIe slot. I know you mentioned trying that already...

what I would do is this;

1) shutdown and clear the CMOS
          2) reboot in to the bios and "Load Optimized Defaults" then save and reboot again
          3) Go back in the bios, if your GPU is in the top slot select PCIe Slot 1, save and re-boot
          4) Then try the DVI port that is beside the HDMI port.. if you still don't get it then try the top DVI port...

not seeing a display until windows is an initial display setting that is incorrect, hands down.

Vin
          Main Rig
          OS = Win10-64Bit
          CPU = Ryzen 1700x Overclocked to 4Ghz with custom water-cooling loop
          Mem = 16GB RAM @ 3200Mhz
          MB = Asus ROG C6H
          GPU = Asus 1080Ti ROG Strix
          HD = 512GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
          PSU = EVGA SuperNOVA 1300w
          Case = Cooler Master HAF-X 945

HTPC / Home Server
          OS = Win7 64Bit running XBMC HTPC Front end with Windows Server 2012 Virtual Machine with 12GB ram assigned for homer server
          CPU = i7-980X @ 3.5Ghz CoolerMasster Hyper 212 Evo
          Mem = 24GB RAM
          MB = Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5 v1.0 with F6 Bios
          GPU = EVGA nVidia GT210
          HD = 2x PNY 120GB Raid 0 (OS)
          Storage = 8TB WD Black Storage
          PSU = Corsair TX750
          Case = Define R5

Comment

Originally posted by Vinster View Post
            you never mentionned that you were using a KVM... I would had you remove it all together to rule it out. The issue of not getting a video until windows loads it due to you not using the default display. What port are you using on the GPU? do you have 2 GPU's? this issue is 1 of 2 things... if using DVI try using the other DVI port on the graphics card, see if that works (what you may see in your resolution selection menu from windows, click the identify button... I bet you'll see "2" and not "1" meaning that you are actively using the alternative display output).... if that didn't do it, secondly in the bios set the default video display to PEG1 or PEG2 (whichever you have it plugged in too). I bet it's set to PCI... but you won't see the bios because the default display is not loaded... try the GPU in a different PCIe slot. I know you mentioned trying that already... what I would do is this; 1) shutdown and clear the CMOS 2) reboot in to the bios and "Load Optimized Defaults" then save and reboot again 3) Go back in the bios, if your GPU is in the top slot select PCIe Slot 1, save and re-boot 4) Then try the DVI port that is beside the HDMI port.. if you still don't get it then try the top DVI port... not seeing a display until windows is an initial display setting that is incorrect, hands down. Vin
            Thanks Vin. First, I had already ruled out the KVM as an issue. I've been working on this problem for over 3 weeks now and I've tried everything you suggested. There is a flaw however in your set of steps to try. I can't get into BIOS as I don't get any video at that point. Also, the Init Display setting for Load Optimised Defaults is PCI and its setting is largely irrelevant if you only have one card in the system - if I understand it, all it is is a direction to the BIOS as to which slot to try first to speed boot time and avoid the BIOS doing a search of the PCI bus for a GPU. If you set it to slot 1 and have the GPU in slot 2 it will find it and use that. Since PCI is the default setting and this setting was an issue, then what happens if somebody is building a system with this mobo/GPU combination and then finds that they need to get into the BIOS to get a video signal so they can see the BIOS - a bit of a catch 22. That said, I have gone through the steps you suggested (I overcame the BIOS setting problem as I have another card I can use that has no problems as did the GTX 580 I had previously before it died on me and forced me to get a new card). Whether the GTX 670 is in slot 1 or slot2 or I use either of the DVI sockets I get no video until Windows boots and loads the NVidia driver and all done without the KVM in the picture. Incidentally, the NVidia control panel always says the display is 1 regardless of the DVI socket you use - there is only one display. Also, I only have one GPU except when I have to add a working GPU to get into BIOS. I carried out your steps with the 670 only in the system, switched it with the working GPU to make BIOS changes then switched back to just the 670 to test these changes. I'm always happy to get suggestions though and will always try whatever is suggested other than anything that may leave me with a dead motherboard. I'm beginning to think that the best solution would be to but a cheap GPU just for those times I need to get into the BIOS or Windows safe mode. Many thanks for the suggestion though. I was sure it wasn't the answer but I did exactly what you suggested to confirm my suspicion. George

Comment

Alright, I cant think of anything else to try. anytime I have had an issue were I could not see my boot screen was related to not using the default display.

now I know you say it will scan all ports and use what is found.. but I have found systems were if the init display wasn't set to where the GPU was sitting, there was no initial display and you had to wait for windows to load.

otherwise I am not sure what else for you to try... seems all these 6xx series cars are not playing well with boards older than 77 series MB's

Vin
              Main Rig
              OS = Win10-64Bit
              CPU = Ryzen 1700x Overclocked to 4Ghz with custom water-cooling loop
              Mem = 16GB RAM @ 3200Mhz
              MB = Asus ROG C6H
              GPU = Asus 1080Ti ROG Strix
              HD = 512GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
              PSU = EVGA SuperNOVA 1300w
              Case = Cooler Master HAF-X 945

HTPC / Home Server
              OS = Win7 64Bit running XBMC HTPC Front end with Windows Server 2012 Virtual Machine with 12GB ram assigned for homer server
              CPU = i7-980X @ 3.5Ghz CoolerMasster Hyper 212 Evo
              Mem = 24GB RAM
              MB = Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5 v1.0 with F6 Bios
              GPU = EVGA nVidia GT210
              HD = 2x PNY 120GB Raid 0 (OS)
              Storage = 8TB WD Black Storage
              PSU = Corsair TX750
              Case = Define R5

Comment

Originally posted by Vinster View Post
                Alright, I cant think of anything else to try. anytime I have had an issue were I could not see my boot screen was related to not using the default display.

now I know you say it will scan all ports and use what is found.. but I have found systems were if the init display wasn't set to where the GPU was sitting, there was no initial display and you had to wait for windows to load.

otherwise I am not sure what else for you to try... seems all these 6xx series cars are not playing well with boards older than 77 series MB's

Vin
                I'm not disagreeing with you that there may well be cards that won't work if the init display is not set correctly but I'd hope if the BIOS default is set to slot X then the manual needs to say it should be in slot X. I really do appreciate any suggestions that I can get especially since Gigabyte technical support have, not only demonstrated to me that their unclocked version of the 670 works with my model motherboard, but have now demonstrated that their overclocked version also works with my motherboard. They even tried that with a KVM, different resolution monitors, keyboards and mouse. They provided screenshots from GPU-Z and CPU-Z and the only difference I could see between what this showed and what mine shows is they have a different (they say latest) VBIOS version to mine, but isn't available on their site (the latest version there is the same as I have on my card).

From what you say, it does sound like my problem except it doesn't matter what slot I choose or what I have it set to. Not only that, if I use a monitor that has a VGA maximum resolution (i.e 1280x1024) then it works but unfortunately my monitor has a much higher native resolution. Plus it works through the HDMI port, it's just the DVI ports that seem to cause a problem. I've tried different cables, different keyboards (USB and PS2). I'd by now be suspecting I have a bad card but I've already sent an MSI 670 card back that exhibited the same symptoms.

Anyway thanks for your suggestions and you are like me, clean out of ideas.

George

Comment

Hey grn,
                  Have you tried the MSI forum ( they have some folks that are reps for MSI ), they may be able to help or offer suggestions.Here is the link MSI Video Cards
                  sorry you are having problems, hope it gets resolved soon,
                  cheers---rclark

Comment

Originally posted by rclark View Post
                    Hey grn,
                    Have you tried the MSI forum ( they have some folks that are reps for MSI ), they may be able to help or offer suggestions.Here is the link MSI Video Cards
                    sorry you are having problems, hope it gets resolved soon,
                    cheers---rclark
                    Thanks for the idea it was a good one but unfortunately I'd been there while trying to resolve the problem with the MSI 670 I had and seemed like I had exhausted all their suggestions. So RMA's the MSI card and got the Gigabyte one as Gigabyte technical support said there would be no problem with their card and my motherboard. It's beginning to look like a motherboard issue though. I was just testing my card in all the PCI-E slots (I had tried it already in both the x16 slots but now have tried the x8 slots). One of these exhibited the same symptoms but the other gave me a error during POST - couldn't decide whether it was two or three quick beeps though but I'm guessing it indicated a video problem!!

Comment

grn
                      I am sorry for the misunderstanding. Don't know why I am thinking MSI as in the card you are having problems with.
                      For whatever it is worth, I was having problems and one was that I could only run the older NVIDIA 275.33 with a ( at the time ) new MSI 560TI 2gb OC card. If I tried a new driver I had all sort of freezes,random, reboots display errors,etc. I thought this was just something I was going to have to live with. Well, and it is well documented in this forum, I started having other issues and then things pointed to trying a new power supply even though this one passed the paper clip test.Put a really nice new gold rated psu in and all my troubles melted away. This darn pc never ran better, I am running the newer nvidia driver now. Thanks to Profjim and Wazza for their guidance.
                      here's to finding the answer to this puzzle, please keep us up to date with your findings if you have time,
                      cheers--rclark

Comment

Originally posted by rclark View Post
                        here's to finding the answer to this puzzle, please keep us up to date with your findings if you have time,
                        cheers--rclark
                        I'll be shouting it from the rooftops but it is beginning to look like a motherboard problem.

Comment

Thought I'd add an update and possibly another clue. Gigabyte technical support have now tested a GV-670OC-2GD on a GA-X58A-UD3R motherboard and have shown it works. The only difference I can see between there setup and mine is the VBIOS version they are using but I have the latest available from their website, so reckon they are using an internal version (80.04.4B.00.73 , mine is 80.04.31.00.58). I still have the problem with no video until Windows loads the NVidia driver.

Now, I had tested the card in both the PCI-E x 16 slots, but not the x8 slots. The problem remains the same for the x16 slots and the x8 slot nearest the CPU but gives a BIOS error (2 or 3 beeps - can't quite make it out). However, if I use a known working GPU (NVidia Quadro) it works in all 4 slots. Would I be right in concluding that this suggests an incompatibility between the card and the motherboard. I was leaning towards a mobo problem until I tried the Quadro but now I'm not so sure.

Comment

cant they send you that gpu bios so you can flash your card with it?
                            Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
                            Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
                            Razer Lycosa Keyboard
                            Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!

Comment

Originally posted by wazza300 View Post
                              cant they send you that gpu bios so you can flash your card with it?
                              I was hoping that's what would happen and when they get back to me I'll ask them if they'll send it.

Comment

try looking on techpowerup/bios archive,see if they have the same bios version on there
                                Razer Lycosa Keyboard
                                Fractal Arc Midi Case

Comment

Working...
                                X