No announcement yet.

HELP XHD eXtreme hard drive messed up my hard drive and now windows cant see it

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP XHD eXtreme hard drive messed up my hard drive and now windows cant see it

I acidently ran XHD eXtreme hard drive program, not really knowing what it did because there is really bad information about the program. It just says makes your hard drives faster. Well I had already set up a raid0 with my two 12ogb ssds and I had my 1.5gb sata drive holding all of my music, games and movies. So i start XHD and then the next thing i know it says its converting drive or something and my 1.5gb HD is gone from explorer and everytime i click on XHD it says 5% then 10% and so on, so i freak out and shut off the computer and end up having to reinstall windows and now windows cant even see my 1.5gb hard drive anymore. So I would like to know if anybody can help me and recommend how i get my drive back and prefferably with all my data still on it with whatever is left. thanks!

Re: HELP XHD eXtreme hard drive messed up my hard drive and now windows cant see it

can you boot from the ssd's/os?

looked in disk manager? start/right click my computer/manage/storage/disk management then if its there right click the disk and make active it should show up then
    Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
    Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
    Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
    Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
    1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
    1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
    K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
    L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
    Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
    Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Re: HELP XHD eXtreme hard drive messed up my hard drive and now windows cant see it

yes i can boot the two ssds because i reinstalled windows, i couldnt before i did that.

No the disk is not visible under anywhere that I tried looking for it, not even device manager.

Comment

was it part of the array? sorry im a noob with raid it might need deleting from the array before it shows up?
        Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
        Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
        Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
        Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
        1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
        1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
        Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
        Razer Lycosa Keyboard
        Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
        Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
        K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
        L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
        Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
        Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
        http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
        Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Do you see the drive in the Bios or even in the Raid configuration as an un-assigned disk?

Vin
          Main Rig
          OS = Win10-64Bit
          CPU = Ryzen 1700x Overclocked to 4Ghz with custom water-cooling loop
          Mem = 16GB RAM @ 3200Mhz
          MB = Asus ROG C6H
          GPU = Asus 1080Ti ROG Strix
          HD = 512GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
          PSU = EVGA SuperNOVA 1300w
          Case = Cooler Master HAF-X 945

HTPC / Home Server
          OS = Win7 64Bit running XBMC HTPC Front end with Windows Server 2012 Virtual Machine with 12GB ram assigned for homer server
          CPU = i7-980X @ 3.5Ghz CoolerMasster Hyper 212 Evo
          Mem = 24GB RAM
          MB = Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5 v1.0 with F6 Bios
          GPU = EVGA nVidia GT210
          HD = 2x PNY 120GB Raid 0 (OS)
          Storage = 8TB WD Black Storage
          PSU = Corsair TX750
          Case = Define R5

Comment

Ok this is really weird. first i checked the bios, nothing. then i checked the raid config screen and the 1.5gb drive is showing up there but its not part of the raid that I am running. I am just running a two drive raid0, however when i look at available drives in the raid confog screen it shows the drive as being a 3 out of three raid (obviously XHD started to add the hard drive to the array and when i took the hd away it is still saying its part of the raid, even tho i made a new raid with only 2 drives) so how the heck can i get my drive back! it has so much valuable stuff that i dont want to lose on it!

Comment

Wait... that makes no sense... I run most of my systems as a raid. only drives assigned to a RAID pair matter, if a disk is not assigned but is connected to a port from the raid then it's considered a "Non-Member" disk. Then is will basically operate in an AHCI mode. also for tracking all disks in a RAID controller are assigned a disk number. makes it easier to track things when you have 6 HD's in a RAID 5 with a hot-swap backup. so each SSD would be labelled 1 then 2 if in port 1 and 2 and if your 1.5GB disk is in port 3 then it would be disk 3.

Go in to your raid configuration and select your RAID0 and chose Information. there you will get the health information regarding the config as well as pointing you to the drives assigned (usually a dot beside the disk number or something similar). you should see both your SSD's there.

then you should also see your 1.5GB drive in there as an available non-member drive.

See, if your drive is connected to the group of ports that are for your RAID then every drive will be available for that RAID if you choose to pair it. otherwise it's an AHCI drive. Secondly if the drive is connected to a RAID port it is not longer attached or available to the Bios because the RAID controller has it and it isn't available to the Bios.

If you want to see the 1.5GB drive in the bios you have to plug it in a the port that is a Non-Raid port... If you tell us your Hardware information (Motherboard and where things are plugged in to) we can help you more.

but basically some MB's have 2 controllers, and the port colours help you distinguish which are which... like on my board, the Blue ports are Intel, the White ports are marvel.... if the Marvel ports are assigned as IDE in my bios, any drive connected to the white ports can be seen in the bios same as the intels, but as soon as either of those controllers are set to RAID, the bios is no longer in the picture.

Do you get it?

I also have a hard time believing the XHD has the ability to change your (hardware) raid configuration on the fly, modifying your OS's raid configuration without crashing the OS.

So in the device Manager, do you have any devices with an error on it? If you go in to Disk Management (as noted my wazza earlier) what disks do you see there and can you post a screenshot?

Vin
              Main Rig
              OS = Win10-64Bit
              Mem = 16GB RAM @ 3200Mhz
              MB = Asus ROG C6H

HTPC / Home Server
              OS = Win7 64Bit running XBMC HTPC Front end with Windows Server 2012 Virtual Machine with 12GB ram assigned for homer server
              Mem = 24GB RAM
              GPU = EVGA nVidia GT210
              PSU = Corsair TX750
              Case = Define R5

Comment

well vinster you had one good idea. i changed the hard drive to the 4th and 5th controller and then it was recognized by the bios but it still isnt recognized by windows as a drive. It is also in the device manager now. And yes XHD can add a drive to the array on the fly, thats what it did to my drive! but i was afraid it was errasing all the data so i yanked it inbetween setup and now i cant find it with windows (is there like a boot record or something i can change?) at this point I have even took the drive to my other computer and it still cant be recognized. anyone have any bright ideas???

Comment

and the os is on the ssds not the 1.5gb drive, i assume thats why it wouldnt crash the os while it added my 1.5gb to the array and started to erase it/

also when i looked at the drive in the raid config screen before i changed it to the other controller it said the 3rd drive (1.5gb) was a raid disk 1-3 but it wasnt in the current array??? weird shiet i know.

Comment

after looking over your guys posts again I think your right i need to delete the disk from the array because its stuck there, even tho the array got erased while the disk was disconnected, hence never getting its chance to get erased. How do i do that?

Comment

in the RAID configuration if it's an Intel I think its' Option 4 to Delete Raid configuration on all disks, do that, then re-assign your SSD's like your original config and it should come back without a re-install. but if you moved the HD to non-raid port and it still didn't come back I'd start getting a little concerned. because I have a few systems with RAID1 arrays (Mirror) and I can simply shutdown the system, pull a drive out pop it in another rig and it can be recognized.

as for the OS not crashing. this still doesn't make sense.... it would have to completely re-structure the array for adding a 3rd drive on the fly no way could it do that and not crash the OS. look at this link; RAID 0, RAID 1, RAID 5, RAID 10 Explained with Diagrams

but with 3 disks, span A/B/C across each drive... how could it not crash. I see adjusting a raid that is not the OS...

Vin
                      Main Rig
                      OS = Win10-64Bit
                      Mem = 16GB RAM @ 3200Mhz
                      MB = Asus ROG C6H

HTPC / Home Server
                      Mem = 24GB RAM
                      GPU = EVGA nVidia GT210
                      PSU = Corsair TX750
                      Case = Define R5

Comment

Working...
                      X