Major problems with the Gigabyte GA-X79S-UP5-WIFI board

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Major problems with the Gigabyte GA-X79S-UP5-WIFI board

Great to hear! I have yet to find a processor for this board but glad I wont be held back by the bios anymore...good work on staying on them to get it fixed!

Comment

Originally posted by psyclist View Post
      Great to hear! I have yet to find a processor for this board but glad I wont be held back by the bios anymore...good work on staying on them to get it fixed!
      Thanks. There are still some other issues that they need to work out, but nothing of the magnitude that the throttling presented. I'm very happy that the throttling problem was fixed.

Comment

Man I wish I found this thread a few days ago before my 15 day return policy ended. This is terrible. I installed the new bios and all was well on the windows side, however I also run Mountain Lion and it completely hosed my Mountain Lion install. Everything would freeze once the desktop loaded. Sometimes the desktop would not load at all. Once I flashed back to F3 all was well again...accept throttling, and when the time comes apparently 8 sticks of ram will be an issue too, damn. Not sure what was done to this new bios. But I hope whatever they took out or broke, they fix for the final version, for my sake anyway. Or anyone else using this Board as a base for there hackintosh. I would be stuck with the crippled F3 bios. Since I mainly built this rig as a hackintosh with windows for gaming only. That blows, I hope it gets sorted out.

Kind of hard for me to go to Gigabyte with this one...

@dejanh, did gigabyte tell you what they messed with by chance?

Comment

Originally posted by p00 View Post
          Man I wish I found this thread a few days ago before my 15 day return policy ended. This is terrible. I installed the new bios and all was well on the windows side, however I also run Mountain Lion and it completely hosed my Mountain Lion install. Everything would freeze once the desktop loaded. Sometimes the desktop would not load at all. Once I flashed back to F3 all was well again...accept throttling, and when the time comes apparently 8 sticks of ram will be an issue too, damn. Not sure what was done to this new bios. But I hope whatever they took out or broke, they fix for the final version, for my sake anyway. Or anyone else using this Board as a base for there hackintosh. I would be stuck with the crippled F3 bios. Since I mainly built this rig as a hackintosh with windows for gaming only. That blows, I hope it gets sorted out.

Kind of hard for me to go to Gigabyte with this one...

@dejanh, did gigabyte tell you what they messed with by chance?
          Hey, sorry for the late reply. No, Gigabyte did not tell me what has changed or is causing the memory problems. In my experience though all of the kits that I have tested experienced memory corruption when using 8 DIMMs on this board with all BIOS releases to date, beta or official. I know that they have tried to improve memory support in the latest BIOS that were released (including F4v) but it seems that some timings got severely messed up since the problem with corruption has gotten worse in the newer BIOS. In all, there does not seem to be any solution to any of this right now but Gigabyte is aware of it, that much I know. I am hoping a fix will be available shortly since I now have $350 of my memory sitting in boxes. I cannot use any of it unless I want to seriously mess up my system.

Comment

There is an even DEEPER issue with this board.
            I know most people don't run their computer continuously for over 24 hours.
            Try it. I think u will find that once you shut it down, you will NOT BE ABLE TO RESTART IT.
            (not lights on the motherboard at all).
            IT'S TAKEN ME MANY MANY HOURS OF TESTING TO FIND THE PROBLEM.

I've had to fix it for a customer.

I'd like anyone who tests it, as i've described, let me know their results.

I'll tell you now, that over the many years i've been fixing computers, have made me less and less a Gigabyte fan.
            (have replaced more of their motherboards than any other).
            I've become an ASUS man a loooooooooooooooooooong time ago.

Originally posted by dejanh View Post
            Finished testing with two brand new sets of Corsair Dominator Platinum quad-channel sticks. No effect on throttling problem at all. The board was still unable to run 8-banks of 2133MHz memory, though the test was performed with 1866MHz memory in this case which makes this a questionable result as I had to OC the memory to try to push 2133MHz. Is there any known way to reliably test the strength of the IMC on these boards? In the X58 world I could push the Uncore to gauge just how strong the IMC is on the chips. Here it seems that I have no such ability.

Edit: I found one more important bug that should be easy to fix.

The highest tRC value in the UEFI BIOS that can be manually set for memory is 32, however most of the time higher values than this are needed (all of the recent memory that I used that exceeds 1600MHz runs best with tRC 33 and higher, with my 2133MHz kit requiring tRC 38). We should have the flexibility to set this much higher manually, as high as 75-80 or more. Current limit of 32 is a major problem for running 8 banks of high-speed memory.

Comment

So,what is the "fix"?

Comment

I'm having major stability issues even without overclocking. I'm having constant lockups etc. I put in a support request they got back to me they said they didn't see a problem. The voltage going to the 3rd and 4th pci express slot on my board isn't correct. It's causing the intel server nic to not reset on reboots. I stripped out everything and still get unknown usb device and also no usb device can be installed on the back ports because they are all not seen correctly.

Comment

Originally posted by stasio View Post
                  So,what is the "fix"?
                  wondering here too...

Vin
                  Main Rig
                  OS = Win10-64Bit
                  CPU = Ryzen 1700x Overclocked to 4Ghz with custom water-cooling loop
                  Mem = 16GB RAM @ 3200Mhz
                  MB = Asus ROG C6H
                  GPU = Asus 1080Ti ROG Strix
                  HD = 512GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
                  PSU = EVGA SuperNOVA 1300w
                  Case = Cooler Master HAF-X 945

HTPC / Home Server
                  OS = Win7 64Bit running XBMC HTPC Front end with Windows Server 2012 Virtual Machine with 12GB ram assigned for homer server
                  CPU = i7-980X @ 3.5Ghz CoolerMasster Hyper 212 Evo
                  Mem = 24GB RAM
                  MB = Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5 v1.0 with F6 Bios
                  GPU = EVGA nVidia GT210
                  HD = 2x PNY 120GB Raid 0 (OS)
                  Storage = 8TB WD Black Storage
                  PSU = Corsair TX750
                  Case = Define R5

Comment

Machine wont post. Screen doesn't come up all parts are brand new just out of the box. I don't know which BIOS rev it is because the system wont post. Is the board bad or the firmware cant even check the firmware because it wont post. Can I get a board that is functioning?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Model Name : GA-X79S-UP5-WIFI(rev. 1.0)
                    --------------------------
                    M/B Rev : 1.0
                    BIOS Ver : f1- or f2
                    Serial No. : sn123400016239
                    Purchase Dealer : New Egg
                    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    VGA Brand : GIGABYTE Model : HD-7870
                    CPU Brand : Intel Model : Intel Core i7-3820 Sandy Bridge-E Speed : 3.6GHz
                    Operation System : SP :
                    Memory Brand : G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 32GB Type : ddr3
                    Memory Size : 32 gigabyte Speed : 1600
                    Power Supply : 700 W

GIGABYTE GV-R787OC-2GD Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card.
                    Intel Core i7-3820 Sandy Bridge-E 3.6GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 2011 130W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80619i73820

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-1600C9Q-32GXM

CORSAIR Hydro series H50 High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler

GIGABYTE GA-X79S-UP5-WIFI LGA 2011 Intel C606 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Extended ATX Intel Motherboard

COOLER MASTER HAF X Blue Edition RC-942-KKN3 Black Steel / Plastic ATX Full Tower Computer Case with Black Interior and Four Blue LED Fans-1x 140mm rear fan, 1x 200mm top fan, 1x 200mm side fan, and 1x 230mm front fan

OCZ700sxs power supply 700 watts

Comment

Try with only 1 stick of RAM,be sure your video card is in PCIEx16_1 slot.
                      Did you connect ATX_12_2x4?
                      Are your Apple cinema Display compatible with your video card?
                      Any other PSU then OCZ?
                      Disconnect all hard/optical drivers,just to boot in BIOS.

Comment

You might need to try a minimal hardware boot with your motherboard out of the case.
                        I posted the following earlier today in another thread:

Remove the motherboard from the computer case and place the board on a cardboard box beside the case.
                        Remove all hardware that isn't required for booting into the bios using:
                        • cpu and heatsink with fan
                        • case speaker connected to the motherboard
                        • 1 memory module
                        • keyboard (PS/2 model if possible)
                        • graphics card connected to a monitor

If you can boot repeatedly into the bios after powering off, add one component at a time and boot back into the bios.
                        This should help find which components are causing the problem.

A cpu failure is possible but they seldom fail.
                        You might need to test with another power supply, graphics card, or other hardware.
                        Do you have a "lower end" graphics card that you can try?
                        Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
                        P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
                        4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
                        MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
                        Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
                        WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
                        Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
                        SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
                        Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
                        Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
                        Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
                        MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
                        Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
                        win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
                        HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
                        CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
                        E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
                        Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
                        Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
                        HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
                        win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Comment

I have an old GeForce 6600 PCI-E 512mb card. I took everything out still doesn't POST. No beep at all but if I take all the stick out it beeps continuously. Don't have another power supply. Weird thing is I hooked up a kingwin 800 watt Mach 1 I got fro ma friend and it powered up for half a second then went off.

Comment

The card is compatible with the display I took the card out and tried it in an older gigabyte board and it works perfectly. Tested it GA- EX38-DS4. I unhooked the hard drive and there is no optical drive installed .It's weird just got it brand new and it never posted. Really nice specs. Cant wait to get it up and running!! I just put the older card in and it gave a long beep followed by two short beeps.

Comment

Check the beep error codes near the back of your mobo user manual.
                              My older manual says: 1 long, 2 short: Monitor or graphics card error

There might be a compatibility error with your motherboard.
                              Double check the monitor cable and test with a different monitor, cable, or video card.

Make sure that the video card is fully seated, front and rear and that the electrical contacts in the pcie slot are clean.
                              Last edited by profJim; 03-18-2013, 08:28 PM.
                              Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
                              P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
                              4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
                              MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
                              Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
                              WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
                              Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
                              SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
                              Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
                              Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
                              Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
                              MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
                              Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
                              win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
                              HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
                              CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
                              E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
                              Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
                              Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
                              HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
                              win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Comment

This is the new card it does nothing no beeps .GIGABYTE GV-R787OC-2GD Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card this card works in 2 other systems so I know that card works it would be strange that it wouldn't work in Gigabytes own Mobo. I tested an older card GE force 6600 it gives One Long Beep and 2 Short Beeps.

Comment

Working...
                                X