Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

flashspi 2.13 and GA-X58A-UD3R (V2.0) - not feeling the love - will not update BIOS to 2MB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• flashspi 2.13 and GA-X58A-UD3R (V2.0) - not feeling the love - will not update BIOS to 2MB

Guys,

I have the above and it is running with 4GB of RAM on and Intel 960

Everything is running fine but i want to add 3TB drives - hence need to update the BIOS (it has run for the last 18 months non-stop as a mediastorage device)

I run under Linux so would prefer not to have to install windows to just run @bios

I have created a bootable USB and downloaded FF, FG1 and FH from the Gigabyte site for this mobo

I can merrily flash FF over and Over again but it will not flash the 2MB BIOSes.

I get a message from flashspi - Bad IMAGE

I have downloaded from each of the links on Gigabytes website as well as a number of the user modded ones and they all give this message.

I have done the following

1) Boot to USB key
    2) run flashspi x58aud3r.ff and it completes fine.
    3) Powered off machine and left with power cord removed for 10 minutes - then removed CMOS battery and shorted terminals
    4) machine boots back up and goes to USB key
    5) run flashspi x58aud3r.fg1 - Bad Image , tried the same sequence with FH and same message.

Any idea what gives here or what i can try ?

Craig

Re: flashspi 2.13 and GA-X58A-UD3R (V2.0) - not feeling the love - will not update BIOS to 2MB

OK done some more searching on Google

1) Tried 3 different keyboards - made no sense to me but Whirlpool had it as a solution !
    2) made sure i do not have an autoexec.bat or config.sys to be loading weird drivers - again not really making sense
    3) tried another USB key created from scratch

Will keep looking

Craig

Comment

Re: flashspi 2.13 and GA-X58A-UD3R (V2.0) - not feeling the love - will not update BIOS to 2MB

I had that board and I remember that you could only update to the 2Mb BIOS by using @BIOS, unfortunately.

Comment

I am starting to get that feeling also

I have just done the following

1) Burnt to 512MB stick - smallest i could find in the bottom the junk drawer !
        2) Tried it with and without the DVD/IDE drive connected
        3) Tried 3 different keyboard - USB and PS2 !

Looks like i am going to have ot bite the bullet and try this with the @bios software as well

Craig

Comment

It's OK to install windows on any system and legally use it for up to 30 days.
          Disconnect all of your current ssd's and hard drives and install win7 on to a temporary hard drive where you will use @BIOS to flash your bios.
          Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
          P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
          4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
          MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
          Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
          WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
          Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
          SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
          Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
          Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
          Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
          MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
          Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
          win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
          HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
          CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
          E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
          Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
          Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
          HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
          win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Comment

Originally posted by flyfisher View Post
            I had that board and I remember that you could only update to the 2Mb BIOS by using @BIOS, unfortunately.
            THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You have to do a one off update with @bios due to Qflash not supporting 2mb bios files,once youve updated through @bios however it will also update Qflash so you can go back to flashing with that
            Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
            Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
            Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
            Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
            1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
            1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
            Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
            Razer Lycosa Keyboard
            Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
            Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
            K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
            L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
            Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
            Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
            http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
            Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

OK had to bite the bullet and do a temporary install of XP and then use @BIOS.

I used to love Gigabyte motherboards but after this fiasco where it can not be updated except by installing windows i will never buy another one.

Yes thanks for the hint that i can install and use Windows i was fully aware of that - just could not believe that the vendor can supply a tool flashspi that does not work.

I will no longer be recommending Gigabyte to my firends or customers.

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by craigcurtin View Post
                Guys,

I have the above and it is running with 4GB of RAM on and Intel 960

Everything is running fine but i want to add 3TB drives - hence need to update the BIOS (it has run for the last 18 months non-stop as a mediastorage device)

I run under Linux so would prefer not to have to install windows to just run @bios

I have created a bootable USB and downloaded FF, FG1 and FH from the Gigabyte site for this mobo

I can merrily flash FF over and Over again but it will not flash the 2MB BIOSes.

I get a message from flashspi - Bad IMAGE

I have downloaded from each of the links on Gigabytes website as well as a number of the user modded ones and they all give this message.

I have done the following

1) Boot to USB key
                2) run flashspi x58aud3r.ff and it completes fine.
                3) Powered off machine and left with power cord removed for 10 minutes - then removed CMOS battery and shorted terminals
                4) machine boots back up and goes to USB key
                5) run flashspi x58aud3r.fg1 - Bad Image , tried the same sequence with FH and same message.

Any idea what gives here or what i can try ?

Craig
                Hey Craig , sorry for the big quote.But damn me i wish i had found that thread 3 days before. I was trying to update the bios with any way you can imagine.I have the same results with you.I am very disappointed that i am forced to install windows.I have a 4 disks (3 raid5 and one for various partitions of the tree) and one ssd for the system....now i should unplug the devices to install in another hard disk windows...( i will probably try to borrow for somebody) .The funny is that i've send an email to Gigabyte asking which is the harmless way to update the bios...

Anyway thank all of you and sorry for my poor english.

Comment

You can see from my last post that is very close in time.

I did the update with flashrom flashrom
                  You can take a back up file with same app.(You better take backup with Q-Flash too or with flashpi via freedos)
                  And there is alse a room in freenode #flashrom . Guys are extremely helpful)

ATTENTION:In case anyone else with other mobo try the flashrom , check if it a supported mobo in the site first.

Comment

Why do we help those who want to destroy us?

Comment

Originally posted by Conners View Post
                      Why do we help those who want to destroy us?
                      ?

Comment

Originally posted by Gabriel_M View Post
                        ?
                        x2.... I can understand the frustration. if you are a user of another OS's other than Windows but need to do a flash just to have windows shoved down your throat, then I'd be upset too... like having a Windows Partition error but only being able to fix it with a Linux live CD... why can't I do that with a Windows disk? it's silly...

it goes both ways, just depends on the issue....

Vin
                        Main Rig
                        OS = Win10-64Bit
                        CPU = Ryzen 1700x Overclocked to 4Ghz with custom water-cooling loop
                        Mem = 16GB RAM @ 3200Mhz
                        MB = Asus ROG C6H
                        GPU = Asus 1080Ti ROG Strix
                        HD = 512GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
                        PSU = EVGA SuperNOVA 1300w
                        Case = Cooler Master HAF-X 945

HTPC / Home Server
                        OS = Win7 64Bit running XBMC HTPC Front end with Windows Server 2012 Virtual Machine with 12GB ram assigned for homer server
                        CPU = i7-980X @ 3.5Ghz CoolerMasster Hyper 212 Evo
                        Mem = 24GB RAM
                        MB = Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5 v1.0 with F6 Bios
                        GPU = EVGA nVidia GT210
                        HD = 2x PNY 120GB Raid 0 (OS)
                        Storage = 8TB WD Black Storage
                        PSU = Corsair TX750
                        Case = Define R5

Comment

Working...
                        X