x79-ud3 does not wake up from sleep mode, power cycling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: x79-ud3 does not wake up from sleep mode, power cycling

Interesting, this reminds me of the wake from Sleep issues that many P67 boards have, including my ASUS P67 board. I'll add my experience with this issue on that board, just an FYI if you're interested.

As most of X79 owners know, that chipset is much more closely related to the Intel 6 series chipsets, rather than the other 7 series chipsets used with Ivy Bridge CPUs. Since socket 2011 CPUs use Sandy Bridge architecture cores, not the 22nm Ivy Bridge cores, that makes sense.

The wake from Sleep issues with my P67 board were never solved, with even the latest BIOS update for that board. The fix the one X79 user found with a different video card is interesting, since the video card seems to be at least one thing that does not function when attempting to wake from Sleep. My video card would literally make a buzzing sound similar to what a mother boards speaker might make, when the system failed to wake. BTW, that card was one that took power only from the PCIe slot. Otherwise it seemed everything else in the PC started, fans, power LEDs, drives, but nothing to the monitor.

Some users of my board claimed a different power supply cured the problem, and strangely it was cheaper, older power supplies that worked for them. The best hint I ever found was in a Windows log (Event Log) that logged the wake from Sleep error. It said a driver had not responded in the expected amount of time, taking longer than ~500ms. That might be related to the amount of time it took the power supply to send its "Power Good" signal to the board, which on many newer power supplies was supposedly longer than the ATX spec, at ~800ms.

One strange thing users of my board found was that a short term Sleep of less than ~30 minutes would wake fine. Others thought that this was related to the boards temperature, if it was "warm", the system would wake fine. That was at best a symptom IMO. We did not have the boot loop issue that seems common in this thread, but that may be simply your boards reaction to this situation. We found that in many cases we could restart the PC after the wake failure, and the PC would resume without a boot, as if it had woke from Sleep.

The fix that ASUS suggested was disabling PLL Overvoltage in the BIOS, which some claimed worked for them, but not for me. The causes that Gigabyte suggested are unrelated IMO. I think it may be a chipset issue with some 6 series chipsets, that simply cannot be fixed. I suggest checking the Windows Event Log, or others for hints about this problem. That board is the only one I cannot use Sleep with, my Z77 board wakes from Sleep every time, when using a Sandy Bridge or Ivy Bridge CPU with it.

Comment

I have a Gigabyte X79-UD5 and when it goes in sleep mode it just shuts down.I have two GTX-670 in SLI and a 256SSD as my boot drive .The only way to turn it back on is to push the power buttom and it will go where I left it.I have the latest Bios F12 ,have not tried any beta bios yet because I don't think that is the problem.The X79-UD5 has so many settings on it ,I don't know where to begain
      Intel i7-3820+Gigabyte EX79-UD5+16g G.SKill-DDR3-1600+Creative X-Fi Titanium+3TB-Seagate
      2-Samsung 1TB Spinpoint F3+2-Western Digital 640g+ LG 12X Blu-ray Burner+1- LG DVD 22x Bruner
      2-ASUS Direct CU II GTX-670+XFX-PRO-850watt +Antec-P280 Case+LG-50" HDTV Plasma Monitor
      Logitech G9x + G15 + G25 wheel +Pioneer VSX-1020+Polk Audio speakers+Corsair H-100

Comment

Originally posted by john19055 View Post
        I have a Gigabyte X79-UD5 and when it goes in sleep mode it just shuts down.I have two GTX-670 in SLI and a 256SSD as my boot drive .The only way to turn it back on is to push the power buttom and it will go where I left it.I have the latest Bios F12 ,have not tried any beta bios yet because I don't think that is the problem.The X79-UD5 has so many settings on it ,I don't know where to begain
        Out of interest does your system sometimes lose the second video card?
        Half the time when I reboot my 2nd video card is not seen by the system so SLI gets broken. Then I have to reboot a few times to get it to show up, then I of course have to reconfigure SLI from the NVidia control panel.
        Intel 3930k
        ASUS P9X79 LE
        16GB (4x4GB) 2133mhz Patriot PXD38G2133C11K
        2 x Sapphire 7970 Dual-X OC
        Silverstone 1000Watt Strider
        OCZ Vertex 4 256GB
        2 x Samsung F1 500GB
        Silverstone Fortress FT02S

Comment

No I don't loose my video setting ,my SLI stays the same and works perfect.it just when it goes to sleep it stays asleep until I push the power button.
          Intel i7-3820+Gigabyte EX79-UD5+16g G.SKill-DDR3-1600+Creative X-Fi Titanium+3TB-Seagate
          2-Samsung 1TB Spinpoint F3+2-Western Digital 640g+ LG 12X Blu-ray Burner+1- LG DVD 22x Bruner
          2-ASUS Direct CU II GTX-670+XFX-PRO-850watt +Antec-P280 Case+LG-50" HDTV Plasma Monitor
          Logitech G9x + G15 + G25 wheel +Pioneer VSX-1020+Polk Audio speakers+Corsair H-100

Comment

I too experienced this on my x79 Ud3 and upgraded to ud5 with the same problem....
            What sorted it out for me was disabling 'energy efficient ethernet' which is set active by default in the power settings of the ethernet adaptor.
            Haven't had it happen since, been 2 months now.

Comment

Originally posted by parsec View Post
              Some users of my board claimed a different power supply cured the problem, and strangely it was cheaper, older power supplies that worked for them. The best hint I ever found was in a Windows log (Event Log) that logged the wake from Sleep error. It said a driver had not responded in the expected amount of time, taking longer than ~500ms. That might be related to the amount of time it took the power supply to send its "Power Good" signal to the board, which on many newer power supplies was supposedly longer than the ATX spec, at ~800ms.
              In a last ditch attempt to fix this issue I tried a new PSU, it was cheap and claims 975watts...unlikely. It is a Shaw 975 MAX. The computer still displays the same issues though:
              - doesn't come out of sleep
              - boot loops before it shows the BIOS start up screen
              - losing the second video card and requiring multiple boots to see it again.

I will try rickfabio's 'energy efficient ethernet' suggestion.
              Intel 3930k
              ASUS P9X79 LE
              OCZ Vertex 4 256GB
              2 x Samsung F1 500GB

Comment

I don't know where you found that ,I been searching for a fix for ever but that disabling 'energy efficient ethernet' worked for me now my computer works just like it did with my X58 board.It actually wakes up now when I click my mouse instead of haveing to push the power button.

Comment

Originally posted by john19055 View Post
                  I don't know where you found that ,I been searching for a fix for ever but that disabling 'energy efficient ethernet' worked for me now my computer works just like it did with my X58 board.It actually wakes up now when I click my mouse instead of haveing to push the power button.
                  Unfortunately my board (G1.Assassin.2) has a Bigfoot Killer Nic in it and doesn't ave this option in the bios :(
                  Intel 3930k
                  ASUS P9X79 LE
                  OCZ Vertex 4 256GB
                  2 x Samsung F1 500GB

Comment

Originally posted by rickfabio View Post
                    I too experienced this on my x79 Ud3 and upgraded to ud5 with the same problem....
                    What sorted it out for me was disabling 'energy efficient ethernet' which is set active by default in the power settings of the ethernet adaptor.
                    Haven't had it happen since, been 2 months now.
                    Nice find! I will try this out now. I'll reply soon.
                    By the way guys, the Energy Efficient Ethernet option is found if you go to Device Manager -> network adapters -> right click, then properties on your network adapter (mine said Intel(R) 82579V Gigabit Network Connection) -> Power Management tab at the top of the window, and it should be the third option in Power Saver Options.
                    Last edited by sshu; 01-23-2013, 07:39 PM.

Comment

I was going to say it is not in the bios.What sshu said.It is in windows in the device manager,click on network adapters and on the properties under power management just disabling 'energy efficient ethernet'I still can't believe that fixed it .I had my computer go to sleep and woke it after a couple of hours and soon as I clicked my mouse it started up and works fine now.Great find ,where did you find this out at ,I have been searching and talking to gigabyte and occourse they wanted me to upgrade my BIOS which did nothing.Then they wanted me to reinstall my windows ,I gave up on them I had just reinstalled my windows because I bought a new harddrive.
                      Last edited by john19055; 01-23-2013, 11:31 PM.

Comment

Sorry it took me a long time to reply.

But the good news is, the Energy Efficient Ethernet fix is working 100%. No boot loops. I just woke up my computer this morning after 10 hours in sleep mode.

EDIT: I just tried to wake up my computer the next morning, and it boot looped! D:
                        Last edited by sshu; 02-03-2013, 07:56 AM.

Comment

Yes it seem after so many hours it messes up ,I went a couple of days thinking everthing was fine but after around 10 hours it did the boot mess up ,but it works if it is woke up under a certain amount of time.

Comment

If anyone is still following this thread, this is a common issue when using a graphics card (as almost off of us do nowadays). Anyway, I just bought one of these boards and had the same issue with my current card, a GTX 560 Ti, but applied a tried-and-true fix. The reason for the boot loop has to do with the Active State Power Management (ASPM) setting for the PCI bus. If enabled, the graphics card cannot draw current from the PSU quickly enough (some other device usually beats it to the punch), and the BIOS interprets the condition as a missing graphics card and responds with a reboot. However, the reboot does not actually resume the computer from S3 state, so when it reboots it is still asleep and the process repeats. I've had some vicious cycles where unplugging the computer didn't even help, and the only thing that stopped the loop was resetting the CMOS.

To disable ASPM, open the Power Options Control Panel, click Change plan settings, then Change advanced power settings. Next, expand PCI Express / Link State Power Management, and then change the setting to Off. If set to moderate or maximum, then ASPM is on and the computer will not resume from S3. There are plenty of articles that go into depth, but setting ASPM off instructs the BIOS to continue providing voltage to the PCI bus during the S3 state. Then, when resuming, the graphics card can draw current immediately thus preventing this issue.

BTW, this is why the Energy Efficient Ethernet (EEE) settings solves the problem for some while only partially solving it for others, or solves it for awhile, because EEE is the ASPM implementation for the LAN Link. Depending on the combination of the LAN device and graphics card, the BIOS timing with the supply voltages for the LAN Link and PCI Bus might happen to work, but it's only due to dumb luck.

Comment

Originally posted by maxotto View Post

To disable ASPM, open the Power Options Control Panel, click Change plan settings, then Change advanced power settings. Next, expand PCI Express / Link State Power Management, and then change the setting to Off. If set to moderate or maximum, then ASPM is on and the computer will not resume from S3. There are plenty of articles that go into depth, but setting ASPM off instructs the BIOS to continue providing voltage to the PCI bus during the S3 state. Then, when resuming, the graphics card can draw current immediately thus preventing this issue.

BTW, this is why the Energy Efficient Ethernet (EEE) settings solves the problem for some while only partially solving it for others, or solves it for awhile, because EEE is the ASPM implementation for the LAN Link. Depending on the combination of the LAN device and graphics card, the BIOS timing with the supply voltages for the LAN Link and PCI Bus might happen to work, but it's only due to dumb luck.
                              Really appreciate the post maxotto! Great explanation. Still following this thread of course, since replies get sent to my email. I'll try this out when I get home in about 30 minutes and report back. Thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by maxotto View Post
                                ...applied a tried-and-true fix.
                                Hmmm, I probably should have waited a few days after the build to post, but I did find an anomaly. I'm not sure if it's Windows 8 or the particular combination of hardware in this PC, but it seems there is a difference between putting the computer to sleep vs. letting it fall asleep. It fell asleep two nights ago and it boot looped in the morning, but as a test, I put it to sleep last night and it woke up fine this morning. My guess is that it's the timing differences between the components falling off vs. the sequence of events when explicitly telling it to sleep.

For now, I'm setting the sleep option to Never and then putting it to sleep at the end of the day. This sleep thing is hard to diagnose because each test takes 24 hours.

Comment

Working...
                                X