• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• x79-ud3 does not wake up from sleep mode, power cycling

I have issue with x79-ud3
    when it goes into sleep mode, power down
    it does not power back up.
    it starts up power up, fans and drives starts to sping and turns off
    start up again in few sec and keeps on cycling.

bios is F11

nothing overclock

Re: x79-ud3 does not wake up from sleep mode, power cycling

Originally posted by importpsycho View Post
    I have issue with x79-ud3
    when it goes into sleep mode, power down
    it does not power back up.
    it starts up power up, fans and drives starts to sping and turns off
    start up again in few sec and keeps on cycling.

bios is F11

nothing overclock
    I have X79-UD5 and I've been suffering from the same problem for about 4 months now. Tried literally all beta and official bioses, and nothing helps. Machine works 2 or 3 nights and sleeps for whole night, but after that period, in the morning, it just starts infinite boot loop which stops only after switching off your power supply for few seconds. Don't know if I have defective mb or is there some incompatibility issue.

Comment

I have the same problem with a Gigabyte X79-UD3 motherboard.

When the machine tries to wake up from sleeping it doesn't work, and the machine gets stuck into a power cycle loop.

To make it worse the machine tries to wake itself up for no obvious reason. So when you arrive in the morning to find the machine has been rebooting the whole night. I turned off waking via mouse movement, but it wakes up anyway.

This happens for the Windows default (S3) sleep state. You can switch the default to be a lighter S2 sleep state in BIOS and this works, but this means the machine doesn't really go to sleep. The machine is mostly still powered up in S2, the CPU fans keep running, etc.. in S2. Would be much much better if the machine went to sleep fully as it should.

As per the posts above I have tried a collection of different things. The newest F11 BIOS doesn't help, lowering the the clock speed on the RAM didn't help (initially I was using the faster XMP memory profile, but not at the moment). All drivers are up to date.

If you have this issue (or have X79-UD3 board, but don't have the issue) the can you post your hard specs. Would be interesting to see if it was related to the components use, or if it was a design flaw, or just a random bad board.

My specs are,

General:
      System Name: DAVID-I7-3820
      Motherboard Manufacturer: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
      Motherboard Name: X79-UD3
      Motherboard Version: V1.0
      BIOS Manufacturer: American Megatrends Inc.
      BIOS Version: F11
      BIOS Release Date: 07/05/2012

CPU:
      CPU manufacturer: GenuineIntel
      CPU Type: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3820 CPU @ 3.60GHz
      Codename: Sandy Bride-E
      Socket: LGA 2011
      Lithography: 32nm
      Clock frequencies:
      - Measured CPU speed: 3601.0 MHz [Turbo: 3701.0MHz]
      - Multiplier: x36.0 [Turbo: x37.0]
      - Base Clock: 100.0 MHz
      Multiplier range: Min: x12, Max non turbo: x36

Memory
      Total Physical Memory: 16333MB
      Available Physical Memory: 14276MB
      Memory devices:
      DIMM 1:
      - 4GB DDR3 SDRAM PC3-16000
      - G Skill Intl F3-17000CL11-4GBZL
      - XMP: 1.60V, Clk: 1000.0MHz, Timings 10-10-10-28
      DIMM 5:
      DIMM 9:
      DIMM 13:
      Virtual memory: C:\pagefile.sys (allocated base size 1000MB)

Graphics
      AMD Radeon HD 7700 Series
      Chip Type: AMD Radeon Graphics Processor (0x683F)
      DAC Type: Internal DAC(400MHz)
      Memory: 1024MB
      BIOS: 113-SY1G01-001
      Driver provider: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
      Driver version: 8.982.0.0
      Driver date: 7-27-2012
      Monitor 1: 1920x1200x32 60Hz
      Monitor 2: 1920x1200x32 60Hz (Primary monitor)

Disk volumes
      C: Local drive, NTFS, (223.47GB total, 114.88GB free)
      D: Optical drive

Disk drives
      Disk drive: Model INTEL SSDSC2CW240A ATA Device (Size: 223.57GB)

Optical drives
      Optiarc DVD RW AD-7280S ATA Device

Network
      Intel(R) 82579V Gigabit Network Connection (Speed: 1Gb/s)

Comment

I submitted the problem to Gigabyte.
        Got back what I strongly suspect is a canned reply. They blame the RAM, the hard drive SATA cable, the HDD itself and because I might be using a cracked version of Windows.

Now I am pretty sure it isn't a problem with the SATA cable as the HDD works 100% & there really isn't much that can go wrong with a SATA cable and yet still have it working all the time, except when the machine is asleep.
        We are in the Microsoft MSDN program, so we are sure we are using a full legitimate version of Windows. So that isn't the cause.

We did some RAM testing with the following combinations.

Corsair 4GB (4 x 1GB)
        -------
        - 1GB DDR3 SDRAM PC3-8500
        - Corsair CM3X1024-1333C9
        - 1.5V, Clk: 533.3MHz, Timings 7-7-7-20

Micron 4GB (2 x 2GB)
        ---------
        - 2GB DDR3 SDRAM PC3-12800
        - Micron Technology 8JTF25664AZ-1G6M1
        - 1.5V, Clk: 800.0MHz, Timings 11-11-11-28

G Skill 16GB (4 x 4GB)
        ----------
        (we tried this GSkill at a number of different speeds)

In all cases the problem remained the same. So it isn't related to the RAM. (or if it is, then pretty much no DDR3 RAM is going to work in this MB).

Might have got somewhere with the machine waking itself up however (provoking the booting loop in the middle of the night). Seems the Intel LAN card was also waking up the machine (for no obvious reason). So I have disabled this, as well as the mouse and the port the mouse is on.

We'll see how this goes overnight.

Comment

Did more testing today.

Started removing /swapping / checking 1 component at a time.

Removed all USB devices ==> No change in behaviour
          Removed DVD drive ==> No change in behaviour
          Checked Intel SSD had latest firmware (it did).
          Moved the video card between PCI-E x 16 slots ==> No change in behaviour
          Swapped video cards ==> Behaviour changed!!!

The initial video card was a HIS Radeon HD 7750 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 (Model H775F1GD).
          Swapping it out for a Powercolor Radeon HD 5750 fixed the problem. This card needs a separate 6 pin power plug.
          Swapping it for a 3rd card, a older HD 5450, also fixed the problem. This low power card is powered from the PCI-E bus.

So the problem appears to be only with the HIS HD 7750. The 7750 also happens to be just about the most powerful PCI-E bus powered video card available at the moment. The card uses around 55 watts, and the PCI-E x 16 bus should be able to support at least 75W. But according to the PCI specs the card must not use more than 25W at power up, it can then reconfigure itself as a high power device. So maybe the card is pulling too much power when coming out of a sleep state. Or it might be related to the 7750's use of the PCI 3.0 standard, were as the other cards are PCI 2.0.

So the problem is largely solved. The HD 7750 video card put the system into a reboot loop when waking. And the USB controller, the Intel LAN and mouse were waking up the system prematurely, for no obvious reason, putting it into the loop scenario.

If I get time I'll put the HIS HD 7750 into a few other motherboards to see if the card effects all motherboards this way. Or maybe it is just an incompatibility only between the Gigabyte X79-UD3 and HIS HD 7750. Or incompatibility between the Gigabyte X79-UD3 and any PCI 3.0 video card.

I would also still be interested to know what video card the original poster was using.

Comment

I also have this issue. Sleep has never worked. I suspect the intel AHCI/RAID controller myself, but haven't tested this thoroughly. I have an ssd raid 0 array with a couple of storage drives. Usually after trying to wake from sleep I'll get a BSOD and have to go through checkdisk which recovers lost data. I have the latest RSTe drivers and oRom but I'm afraid to put it to sleep now to see if this issue has been fixed, just can't afford to damage the OS or my data, too busy. It is VERY frustrating that this board has been around for over half a year and gigabyte does nothing to fix it. I've gone with Gigabyte for the last few years and had great luck, up till now. This is supported to be an enterprise class chip? (scratches head). I also have issues with my creative 'PCI' X-FI Xtreme music. For some odd reason about every 3 days it stops working and launching the creative console results in the error message "The audio device supported by this application is not detected". After re-installing the driver everything is fine again, for a few days. If I put the card back in my GA-EX58-UD5 it works just fine.
            i7-3930K
            GA-x79-UD3
            Corsair H100
            4x2GB GSkill F3-12800CL6
            X-Fi Titanium HD
            EVGA GTX 970
            Pioneer BDR-207DBK
            Samsung 850 EVO
            3XWD2002FYPS
            Corsair TX850
            Dell U2412M

Comment

Originally posted by Peakr View Post
              I also have this issue. Sleep has never worked.
              Although your issue might also be related to sleeping it doesn't at all sound like the same issue.
              In my case there was no screen output at all, the cycling was fast (maybe 10sec), there was no BSOD, no disk activity and no disk corruption. (and I didn't have any sound card problem).

If you have had a BSOD then,
              1) This means the Windows kernel was reloaded and was back being executed in RAM.
              2) There is a lot more investigation you can to. Get the Nirsoft utility that lists the recent BSOD and see what caused it.
              Blue screen of death (STOP error) information in dump files.
              In many cases you can figure out the cause of the problem from the data in the BSOD.

Comment

its usually pointing to ram,voltages/settings ect if sleep resume isntworking correctly as it saves and resumes the sleep state to and from the memory,did you try adding one or two clicks more dram and or cpu vtt voltage?

it still could be a bios bug/incompatibility and youll just need to be patient for newer bios's to fix the issue,i remember going through the exact same thing with x58 ud5 board when it was released,it did get fixed with future bios releases and worked perfect

can also be a cold boot issue too,when system is cold,once warm its fine
                Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
                Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
                Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
                Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
                1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
                1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
                Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
                Razer Lycosa Keyboard
                Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
                Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
                K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
                L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
                Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
                Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
                http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
                Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by CannonFodder View Post
                  Although your issue might also be related to sleeping it doesn't at all sound like the same issue.
                  In my case there was no screen output at all, the cycling was fast (maybe 10sec), there was no BSOD, no disk activity and no disk corruption. (and I didn't have any sound card problem).
                  I wanna say the bsod was Stop 0x0000007B but I can't remember for certain, it would happen right after waking from sleep 3 out of 5 times. One other thing I noticed, it was one of my storage drives that got checked and would recover lost data and not the Raid0 array. I haven't had any issues since I stopped using sleep. The storage drives are enterprise class and the smart tables check out. My system is completely stable otherwise, I cannot have it any other way. If I get some time this weekend I'll try and test. I use Driver Verifier but I'll give nirsoft a shot. As far as the sound card is concerned, imo if it works in my other box it should work in this one or its the motherboard's fault. The software is the same on both boxes except for vSphere which I run on the x58. I've googled the sound card issue and it seems to show up on many creative products but this is the first time I've seen it and I've had this sound card for years, using the same driver even.
                  i7-3930K
                  GA-x79-UD3
                  Corsair H100
                  4x2GB GSkill F3-12800CL6
                  X-Fi Titanium HD
                  EVGA GTX 970
                  Pioneer BDR-207DBK
                  Samsung 850 EVO
                  3XWD2002FYPS
                  Corsair TX850
                  Dell U2412M

Comment

which VGA card you using? tried reinstalling alll device drivers especialy the VGA driver?

Comment

Does anyone have a definitative answer to this problem?

I have seemingly the same issue with my G1.Assassin 2 board. It happens about 1 out of 5 times I resume from sleep.

I've done a whole bunch of experiments, including:

- switching the SSD to a different SATA controller
                      - using a GTX 285 instead of my GTX 580 (inspired by another poster in this thread)
                      - taking out some of the RAM, and swapping the ram into different slots
                      - increasing the voltage for the RAM and other CPU-memory related voltages in the bios
                      - disconnecting everything except for bare essentials
                      - restoring bios to default settings
                      - using beta bios
                      - checking most of the power connections to various things
                      - disconnecting and reconnect the SSD while the computer is in sleep to see if this causes the same problem (it doesn't - the computer never knows the SSD is ever disconnected)
                      - and a bunch more things I'm forgetting

These experiments have taken over a month to perform since I need to take my computer in and out of sleep multiple times before I can determine if anything I've done has helped (so far it hasn't).

One thing I notice, and it could be pure coincidence, is that when my room is physically cold, there is a higher tendency for this problem to manifest. Perhaps the coldness is affecting the computer motherboard or PSU somehow? I'm grasping at straws here. Any help or insight would be highly appreciated.

Comment

I have a very similar experience. I have the gigabyte x79-ud3 rev 1.0 and I have been experienced the same boot loop issues on f8, f9, and f10. I have yet to try f11 or either of the f12 beta's as I haven't heard any reports that they address the boot loop issue discussed here. Recently my problems are a little bit different. I try to sleep or hibernate so I can verify that I am still having the boot loop problem (I have been living with my system by never sleeping or hibernating and spending an extra $20-$30 per month on electricity because of it). Now I can't my system to power down at all. I tell it to sleep or hibernate and it never goes. The screen turns off, but the fans on the computer never shut down. Further, moving the mouse or pressing any keyboard buttons won't "wake" it up as I don't think it is every getting to sleep in the first place. Thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by CannonFodder View Post
                          So the problem appears to be only with the HIS HD 7750. The 7750 also happens to be just about the most powerful PCI-E bus powered video card available at the moment. The card uses around 55 watts, and the PCI-E x 16 bus should be able to support at least 75W. But according to the PCI specs the card must not use more than 25W at power up, it can then reconfigure itself as a high power device. So maybe the card is pulling too much power when coming out of a sleep state. Or it might be related to the 7750's use of the PCI 3.0 standard, were as the other cards are PCI 2.0.

So the problem is largely solved.
                          Interesting.
                          I have an x79 Assassin.2 that will loop on boot for a bout 5 or 6 times before "catching" and booting to BIOS screen.
                          Sometimes it boots through instantly but then when I get to Windows both video cards are not enabled, only one is seen by the system. Then I reboot (and loop) a few times and Windows sees both video cards. ANNOYING IN THE EXTREME.

Tried a bunch of BIOSes, nothing really changes.

As for sleep, that has never worked properly on this board. I tried a couple of times but ran in to the same experiences reported here. To be fair though the other x79 board I had (Asus p9x79 pro) didn't come out of sleep most of the time either.

/RANT ON
                          I picked up the G1 Assassin.2 cheaply while the Asus P9X79 Pro was away for RMA. I have always had good luck with Gigabyte boards and have 3 running in the house at the moment, they are all great. This X79 board though is a galactic sized piece of crap. From the crappy boot up to the absolute junk Bigfoot Killer Nic and the outdated drivers for the Creative soundcard. It has been one giant disappointment.

My venom isn't just for Gigabyte though, the Asus has a huge amount of problems as well. The entire X79 motherboard range appears to be plagued by issues. The CPUs are awesome, the motherboard platform stinks.

Hopefully a decent X79 motherboard will be made at some point so I can get rid of the Asus and the junk Gigabyte Assassin.2.
                          Sometimes it is all I can do to stop from smashing the G1 Assassin.2 to bits with a hammer. I won't though, I'll put it on Ebay and pass on the pain.
                          /RANT OFF

ah I feel better
                          Intel 3930k
                          ASUS P9X79 LE
                          16GB (4x4GB) 2133mhz Patriot PXD38G2133C11K
                          2 x Sapphire 7970 Dual-X OC
                          Silverstone 1000Watt Strider
                          OCZ Vertex 4 256GB
                          2 x Samsung F1 500GB
                          Silverstone Fortress FT02S

Comment

Follow up. I installed the latest beta bios' f12L and f12p and both exhibited the same boot loop issue.

I am resigned to the possibility that I need to try a lower power video card as that is the only thing I have heard has had any effect on this issue.
                            Last edited by general_helaman; 12-29-2012, 01:57 PM.

Comment

Same issue here. I have a x79-ud3 mobo, i7 3820 cpu, and radeon 7970. as mentioned earlier, perhaps it's the 7xxx video card??? would be a shame if so. i hope gigabyte is able to fix it with a BIOS update. argh. btw: i updated to the f12p beta bios soon after it was available, but i haven't tried sleeping it yet. i've only noticed the sleep boot loops with previous bios versions. although from what other people have said, it seems that the 12p bios doesn't fix the issue.

Comment

Working...
                              X